• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

'The best corps in the National Football League'

top dawg

Devin Funchess is feeling right at home this season, as is evidenced by his marked improvement  when juxtaposed against his time last year. Funch is also feeling more free to express his thoughts. 

"We know we have the best [receiving] corps in the National Football League," said Funchess, including tight ends Greg Olsen and Ed Dickson, as well as the running backs, in the mix.

"We've got a dangerous offense, just like last year, the No. 1 offense. We're just trying to keep that up and keep it going."

I really like the confidence. Now he's got to walk the walk. Well, him and all the other guys that have been expected to step up. And, so far, Funchess has made plays befitting of expectations, and Damiere Byrd and Scott Norwood have reportedly been making noise as well.  With the return of Kelvin Benjamin, the continued development of Philly Brown, and the continued enigmatic play of Ted Ginn, the actual wide receiving corps should provide plenty of shock and awe as compared to even last year. Many people may not believe, considering some pretty pedestrian stats last year amid being the yardage leader, but Ricky Proehl believed we had enough to do damage last year, and I'm pretty sure he feels even better this year.

"Some of the coaches were getting on me when I said, 'I've got every arsenal I need,'" Proehl said. "They said you're setting yourself up if they don't produce.

"I said, 'If they don't produce, I'm not doing my job.' I'm just telling you like I see it. I've got a ton of talent. When we lost Kelvin and Stephen, I was sick to my stomach for them. But I knew we were going to be all right."

One consistent reason that we were alright is Greg Olsen. But, just think, we've added a rookie who may also get in the act. Beau Sandland looks like the real deal, people. And I haven't even mentioned a couple of others with presumed talent.  The best unit in the NFL is really not a stretch as explained by David Newton.

We'll have to wait and see. One thing is for sure though, Proehl believes in his arsenal, much like James Bond's Q believes in his. Now all that is to be done is for Air Cam to exploit his weapons as defenses permit. Did I say "permit?" Perhaps "submit" is a better word. 

One very interesting thing I've noticed watching the NFL news is how often other teams are cutting players, signing players, picking players up off of waivers.

And here Carolina and Dave Gettleman sit, having gotten his work done prior to training camp.

(That doesn't mean he WON'T end up with some roster activity (its a definite in the case of any potential serious injury), just that he prepared the roster he wanted BEFORE practice started.)

2 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

One very interesting thing I've noticed watching the NFL news is how often other teams are cutting players, signing players, picking players up off of waivers.

And here Carolina and Dave Gettleman sit, having gotten his work done prior to training camp.

(That doesn't mean he WON'T end up with some roster activity (its a definite in the case of any potential serious injury), just that he prepared the roster he wanted BEFORE practice started.)

Astute observation.  Kudos.

pie for you.

8 hours ago, KSpan said:

From arguably the worst WR group prior to the KB draft pick to arguably one of the most solid, if not one of the best, in just 2 seasons and 3 drafts. Gettlemagic.

Did we forget how inconsistent this WR group is with their hands? Have they shown anyone they can catch the ball consistently? This includes KB. Are we just pumping them up now even though you know the same people will be so upset with their inability to hold onto balls and TDs during the season?

I wish this group was Julio Jones, AJ Green, Doug Baldwin, and Golden Tate. That's what several huddlers make them out to be in training camp. Truth is the group consists of Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess, Philly Brown, and Tedd Ginn going up against an inexperienced secondary making a lot of mistakes. KB was said to not even be a true #1 by several huddlers at the end of his rookie campaign because he was unreliable. Funchess, Brown, and Ginn are all #3 WRs at best with bad hands. This team does not have a true #1, or a good #2 if you force KB into the #1 role.

56 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Funchess, Brown, and Ginn are all #3 WRs at best with bad hands. This team does not have a true #1, or a good #2 if you force KB into the #1 role.

Being harsh on Funchess I believe. Both he and Philly really developed through last season and if you compare their first 3 games to their last three games before the SB you'll see a massive improvement.

Also if we were talking passing attack rather than WR Corps we'd be including Olsen. That means the defence have to account for him before they get to worrying about our #2 & #3 WRs and it also allows us to run some more wrinkles in our Offense.

More again when we're including the unique run game we have.

3 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Did we forget how inconsistent this WR group is with their hands? Have they shown anyone they can catch the ball consistently? This includes KB. Are we just pumping them up now even though you know the same people will be so upset with their inability to hold onto balls and TDs during the season?

I wish this group was Julio Jones, AJ Green, Doug Baldwin, and Golden Tate. That's what several huddlers make them out to be in training camp. Truth is the group consists of Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess, Philly Brown, and Tedd Ginn going up against an inexperienced secondary making a lot of mistakes. KB was said to not even be a true #1 by several huddlers at the end of his rookie campaign because he was unreliable. Funchess, Brown, and Ginn are all #3 WRs at best with bad hands. This team does not have a true #1, or a good #2 if you force KB into the #1 role.

#1 offense in the league getting their #1 receiver back, 3,837 passing yards (about 2700 of them to WRs), 35 passing TDs with these 'inconsistent' receivers and without the best guy on the field at all. Can they improve? Absolutely. But the results speak for themselves now that there is an actual OL in front of Cam.

BTW, to your examples Golden Tate had only 70 more yards and four less TDs than Ginn on more than twice as many catches in that pass-happy Detroit offense and Doug Baldwin has only had 1 season that truly surpasses Ginn's performance last year (of course I'd love A.J. Green, but he's in rarified air). I chose my words carefully but the results on the field support this position at this point in time. I hope that 2015 continues to do so and, if not, will revisit at that time.

2 hours ago, KSpan said:

#1 offense in the league getting their #1 receiver back, 3,837 passing yards (about 2700 of them to WRs), 35 passing TDs with these 'inconsistent' receivers and without the best guy on the field at all. Can they improve? Absolutely. But the results speak for themselves now that there is an actual OL in front of Cam.

BTW, to your examples Golden Tate had only 70 more yards and four less TDs than Ginn on more than twice as many catches in that pass-happy Detroit offense and Doug Baldwin has only had 1 season that truly surpasses Ginn's performance last year (of course I'd love A.J. Green, but he's in rarified air). I chose my words carefully but the results on the field support this position at this point in time. I hope that 2015 continues to do so and, if not, will revisit at that time.

Don't waste your time, CP is a dumbass.

Archived