• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm Confused about "The Protocol"

TheCandyMan

So, I'm watching the snippet of the Roger Gotohell's interview at halftime about player safety and the team's responsibility. Case Keenum's hit last year was a topic of discussion , and Roger said the Rams failed the protocol, and moving forward penalties will be steeper for teams that leave guys in a game after a hit and player reaction like Keenum's.

If the Panthers did something wrong, lets correct it; all for that. Life is more important than any game, and I applaud the league for addressing the issue.

However, doesn't the NFL have a guy in the booth whose only responsibility is to look for players that show signs of concussion? Also, doesn't the shield have an independent neurologist on each sideline to evaluate players along side team doctors and trainers? Seems to me if you lump the refs in there, the NFL has 3 independent entities to the team's 1 to evaluate players.

I guess I'm confused how the league can have all these checks and balances in terms of penalties and evaluations, yet when something like this happens they want to investigate the teams. I understand player safety is everyone's responsibility, but it Seems to me if the protocol is failed maybe the NFL should look more at themselves and get better talent on the field, in the booth, and on the sidelines.

What y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I think you miss the point. The reason the word "protocol" is being thrown around in conjunction with us isn't because the league thinks we've committed some kind of violation. The league itself, probably before it was ready to, said after the game that everything checked out.

The league's hubbub about protocol came in the wake of the media firestorm about the NFL's officiating crew allowing Cam to be slaughtered while the league feigns concern for player safety.

Essentially the league is going to try and throw its weight around, deflect blame and make it seem like the big bad panthers with their dancing QB violated some sacred protocol, and force the team to look apologetic and scared about what the big bad Commissioner might do to those reckless Panthers, while the league shuffles its feet and drags out its "investigation" and let's the team take the brunt of the controversy until it fades from the headlines at which point they announce everything is fine, but that we better watch our back because Roger loses sleep at night over the thought of guys getting hurt and he'll bring the gosh darn hammer if we aren't careful in the future.

To hell with the NFL. If they turn a blind eye to this and shift blame to the abused and not the abusers, then I'm done. I will follow the Panthers, but they can shove the whole league up their collective asses....I will find better things to do with my Sundays ( and Mondays, Thursdays. and whatever other days they decide to have their shat show on).

This was discussed on Twitter yesterday and I said essentially the same thing as the OP.  If the Panthers erred in dealing with Cam then they should face the consequences.  Having said that, there should also be consequences for the refs for allowing the illegal hits to continue, for the Broncos for targeting Cam and for the league also as I thought there was some sort of "independent" process involved with this stuff now.

No one seems to want to take any blame for this situation.  The refs let it get out of control in the 1st quarter by not throwing flags and it went downhill from there.

...and as a side note, there are a ton of Denver players and fans saying things like "what, he's a big guy we have to hit him like that *wink* *wink*" with no remorse about launching themselves up into his head.

Mn1z9Ld.gif

2 hours ago, Cj72 said:

Honestly, I was surprised that the refs didn't remove cam from the game for a play like they did Norman last year.  Norman's hit was nowhere near as vicious and he popped right back up if I remember correctly. 

If they did they would have had to throw the flag. 

Archived