• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dominance at Home

bigdog10

With the win against the 49ers, the Carolina Panthers have won 14 straight home games dating back to 2014 (including playoffs).  Our last home loss came at the hands of the Falcons in a 17-19 game on November 16th, 2014 (over that same time span, we've managed to go an incredible 23-5).  On a side note, over the last seven home games, the Panthers are averaging 40.4 points per game (including playoffs, courtesy of ESPN). This got me thinking about our home field advantage and I was curious as to where we stacked up against the NFC powerhouses in home win percentage over the last three seasons.  Here is how the conference ranks:

Seattle:  83%

Arizona:  81%

Carolina:  79%

Green Bay:  73%

Minnesota:  65%

Detroit and New Orlenas:  60%

Los Angeles and San Francisco:  56%

Philly:  54%

Dallas:  46%

Atlanta and New York:  44%

Washington:  38%

Chicago:  32%

Tampa Bay:  25%

What does this mean:  Not a whole lot due to the parity of the NFL, but I like seeing our team near the top.  Tampa has only won 6 of their last 24 home games, and Atlanta isn't much better.  The NFC east is atrocious, and surprisingly Detroit has been a pretty tough place to play.   Carolina is the only team during this span to go 10 out of 10 at home during a season.  Green Bay in 2014 went 9-0 but eventually lost on the road to the Seahawks.  Even during both of the Seahawks superbowl runs, they had a loss in the home column.

The Panthers (under Ron's, Cam's and Luke's) watch are making Bank of America stadium a tough place for an opposing team to get a win.  

16 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

over the last seven home games, the Panthers are averaging 40.4 points per game (including playoffs, courtesy of ESPN).  

this is insane. i keep thinking that can't be right, but then i remember having an anyerysm during both of our ass-whooping playoff games, and our home games before that included twin 38-point drubbings of the bucs and falcons and 44 points on the skins, 37 on the packers, 29 on the colts.

god we are awesome

I've been working on a new article for the Huddle main page with Week 2 statistical highlights.  My first section?  "Home Dominance" - you read my mind @bigdog10!

Here's what I've come up with as I've been researching this:

Home dominance:  

The Carolina Panthers are on an incredible hot streak in terms of their recent home games in Bank of America stadium.   As many fans of the team will know, Sunday's win against the 49ers meant that the Panthers have continued their league-leading home win streak.  It now stands at 14 games (counting playoff games), or 11 regular season games.

That's a nice streak, though it's nowhere close yet to being an all-time record.  According to Wikipedia, these are the existing records for home game wins:

• Most Consecutive Home Games Won, 27.   Miami Dolphins 1971–74
  • Most Consecutive Home Games Won (including playoffs), 31.   Miami Dolphins 1971–74
  • Most Consecutive Home Games Without Defeat, 30.  Green Bay Packers 1928–33

But it's not just the number of consecutive home wins that's impressive, it's the Panthers' points scored in recent home games that is really eye-popping.   Here are the Panthers' most recent 7  home games:

home games2.png

Those point totals manage to make the Panthers 31 points against Seattle in the Divisional playoff game look pretty lame!

I'm not an expert at using Pro-Football Reference's game query finder, but digging around there earlier today, I couldn't find too many other teams with better periods of dominance at home.   The 1999 - 2000 Saint Louis Rams had a stretch of 12 out of 13 home games (including 8 consecutive games) where they scored at least 31 points, including 7 games above 40 points. [The 1999 Rams went on to win the Super Bowl...]

The 2012 - 2013 Broncos had 9 consecutive home games where they scored 31+ points, but that included a home playoff loss at the end of the 2012 season (in which they scored 35 points, but still lost).  The 2013 Broncos scored 35+ points in 6 of their 8 regular season home games and had a regular season home game average of 39.5 points.

Similarly the 2007 Patriots began their historic 16-0 season with 6 straight home wins of 31+ points.

It's pretty amazing to put the 2015-2016 Panthers in the same conversations of some of the greatest-ever NFL offenses. 

What's striking is that not too long ago in their history, the Panthers had one of the weakest home-field advantages in the league. 

A Sporting Charts article in December 2014 included the home winning % for all teams since 1990.  The Panthers were near the bottom of the list, with 69 wins in 136 home games since their inception.

More recently the Panthers actually had a worse record at home...  In 2011 & 2012, the Panthers had no home field advantage whatsoever:

home-away.png

It's surely sweet to be a Panthers fan right now!

Let's just hope the Carolina Panthers' scoring dominance continues in 2016 - both at home AND away games.

I've been working on a new article for the Huddle main page with Week 2 statistical highlights.  My first section?  "Home Dominance" - you read my mind @bigdog10!

Here's what I've come up with as I've been researching this:

Home dominance:  

The Carolina Panthers are on an incredible hot streak in terms of their recent home games in Bank of America stadium.   As many fans of the team will know, Sunday's win against the 49ers meant that the Panthers have continued their league-leading home win streak.  It now stands at 14 games (counting playoff games), or 11 regular season games.

That's a nice streak, though it's nowhere close yet to being an all-time record.  According to Wikipedia, these are the existing records for home game wins:

• Most Consecutive Home Games Won, 27.   Miami Dolphins 1971–74
  • Most Consecutive Home Games Won (including playoffs), 31.   Miami Dolphins 1971–74
  • Most Consecutive Home Games Without Defeat, 30.  Green Bay Packers 1928–33
But it's not just the number of consecutive home wins that's impressive, it's the Panthers' points scored in recent home games that is really eye-popping.   Here are the Panthers' most recent 7  home games:

home games2.png

Those point totals manage to make the Panthers 31 points against Seattle in the Divisional playoff game look pretty lame!

I'm not an expert at using Pro-Football Reference's game query finder, but digging around there earlier today, I couldn't find too many other teams with better periods of dominance at home.   The 1999 - 2000 Saint Louis Rams had a stretch of 12 out of 13 home games (including 8 consecutive games) where they scored at least 31 points, including 7 games above 40 points. [The 1999 Rams went on to win the Super Bowl...]

The 2012 - 2013 Broncos had 9 consecutive home games where they scored 31+ points, but that included a home playoff loss at the end of the 2012 season (in which they scored 35 points, but still lost).  The 2013 Broncos scored 35+ points in 6 of their 8 regular season home games and had a regular season home game average of 39.5 points.

Similarly the 2007 Patriots began their historic 16-0 season with 6 straight home wins of 31+ points.

It's pretty amazing to put the 2015-2016 Panthers in the same conversations of some of the greatest-ever NFL offenses. 

What's striking is that not too long ago in their history, the Panthers had one of the weakest home-field advantages in the league. 

A Sporting Charts article in December 2014 included the home winning % for all teams since 1990.  The Panthers were near the bottom of the list, with 69 wins in 136 home games since their inception.

More recently the Panthers actually had a worse record at home...  In 2011 & 2012, the Panthers had no home field advantage whatsoever:

home-away.png

It's surely sweet to be a Panthers fan right now!

Let's just hope the Carolina Panthers' scoring dominance continues in 2016 - both at home AND away games.

We are good, really good.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived