• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

LOL: Ron on the decision not to go for it on 4th and 1

truthjuice

Were you tempted to go for it on 4th-and-1? "Yes very much so, but again with five minutes in that type of situation I decided not to. I thought again we could get a good punt, get them down there, we still had three timeouts and that's what I was working with."

LOL. More faith in a defense that will give up points than in your QB who gets that yard 90% of the time. Days later, I still don't understand his train of thought on this. Per Herm Edwards, YOU PLAY THIS GAME TO WIN. 

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

And that's why this team has the record it does. Riverboat can't see what everyone sitting at home can. Our D couldn't stop Carr, momentum had shifted, and Cam is masterful short yardage and that's where it should go. Anyone watching the game knew we punted away our opportunity to seal the deal.

If there was ever a time to get gutsy and go for it, it was then. I think that was the dumbest decision I've seen Ron make. 

When is Ron going to start looking at the upside instead of the what-ifs?  Go for it on 4th down and the absolute worst case scenario is you don't get it, you're up by 8 points and at best OAK can tie you.  You would then still have a chance to try and win the game on a final drive.  The upside?  You pick up that 1 yard and essentially milk the clock, hopefully gain another 20 yards at a minimum to get a FG, making it a 2 score game and most likely icing the game.  Just once, I want to see Cam waive off the punt team and just Deebo Ron, stealing the chain his grand-mama gave him and pick up that first down.

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

I guess being decimated on the OL and having virtually no push up the middle when Gradkowski went down had no bearing on the decision. 

Truth is we got the ball back and had a chance to tie the game or win if Olsen catches that pass.

It was one freaking yard. Cam can get that with the most shitty line ever assembled. 

Offensive line was fielding back ups of back ups in two positions, two starters playing out of position and Cam hadn't been able to move the ball on the ground all day. Stewart, barring that one great run, had been stuffed all day, Tolbert had continued his futility and Fozzy, well, he just wasn't happening either.

Short, quick throw? Was there any real reason to think that would work when it hadn't all day? Barring the two big miracle TD passes, Cam was having one of his worst passing days ever. 

And, we're sitting there on our own side of the field. Not making the first down would give them incredible field position. Fumbling or throwing another interception would end the game almost immediately. 

Three timeouts, a defense that had come alive and brought the team back into the game, and Carr playing exclusively from the shotgun due to a dislocated finger on his throwing hand. 

Rivera made the logical choice, conservative or not. Had they gone for it and failed, he would have been crucified for that, too. 

Rivera should have played to his teams strengths. He is stubborn and always sides with his defense even if it is a liability.

Do I agree with his decision? No. Is Rivera better than most coaches? Yes.

It would be easier to get a GM that gives Rivera what he needs for his system than it would be to get a coach with a higher probability at winning a SB championship. Now, if a coach is available with equal experience or better than Rivera, then upgrade. That is not likely since there are only a handful of coaches better than Rivera.

Now, finding a younger GM that is open to supplying the head coach with the players he needs is a much easier task to accomplish.

The GM needs to feed the system when he has a system coach like Rivera counting on system players. Best player available means you need a coach that is willing to change up his system every year depending on what the GM gives him.

Now, Gettleman is so erratic with his BPA system, that any coach would have trouble drastically changing their system from year to year.

Replace Gettleman with a need based GM to compliment Rivera, and the success will be consistent. Waiting years to address a need is not going to work. Bringing in rookies to constantly start is not going to work. Overpaying for mediocre player the coach would rather bench in favor of a much cheaper mediocre players is a waste of time and money - it is not going to work.

2 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

It was one freaking yard. Cam can get that with the most shitty line ever assembled. 

It isn't as if we haven't been stoned before and came up short. Plus we were inside our own 40 virtually assuring them a field goal if we miss.  No he made the smart call given the situation as evidenced by us getting the ball back with almost 2 minutes left.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yep, I know people love to hate on Gettleman and I probably look like I'm in love with him, but I see a team with more than enough talent to beat 3 of the top teams in the NFL (@Oakland, @Denver and KC). I don't blame Gettleman for the team we have because I feel like we continue to find ways to screw up a win like the 4th and 1. It's almost like we can't see the overall situation and just base it on what happened last time or the book. Oakland had regained their offensive momentum so giving them the ball back was the wrong decision. As was going for 2 over and over.

Same thing in the KC game on the 20 play drive. We are going against Alex Smith who's passed for 3 TDs something like 1 time in the last few years and we aren't satisfied with a 37 yard FG to go up 17 (3 scores) to start the 4th quarter? Nope, 2 passes and 2 sacks and we have to punt with our kicker. We didn't need to be up 21, but as we saw we needed to be up 17 and we had 17 with no worries if we run.

Same thing in Tampa. 1st and goal at the 1 and Tampa is missing 3 of their 4 starters on the DL including their best player DT McCoy. Do we hammer it in? Nope, get cute, blow a chance to go up 7 and win the game.

How can we be so bad at decisions? Last year was a bit lucky, an easier schedule and no key injuries that weren't fixable (like Allen for CJ). It and Cam's brilliant play covered up the same stuff like almost losing huge leads to the Giants, GB and Indy.

I think Rivera needs a team with a lot of veteran leaders to compensate for his coaching deficiencies.

That may be why we're struggling this year in areas where we succeeded so much last year.

Archived