• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron is not getting fired

SCP

Just now, top dawg said:

Steve Smith was the definition of an old, once great antagonist in Gettleman's ol' school world. He is the antithesis of Rivera.

--------------

Rivera, Cam, Benjamin, and Gettleman aren't going anywhere, folks. All of them will bounce back next year (provided that Gettleman modifies his magic).

If Rivera has lost the locker room, I don't see any way you can keep him.

9 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

I want you all to take a deep breath and ask yourselfs. Did Shaun Payton get fired the last 3 seasons, is anyone even seriously considering Bruce getting fired, McCarthy or any of the other teams that do good and sucked this year. Did the lions fire their head coach? Normality and continuity is the key.

Sean Payton won a Super Bowl and was more consistent for a while.  He's also a great coach and has done a lot with less talent.    I love watching the Saints have issues, but the issue they have is lack of talent and bad payroll, not lack of coaching.  Rivera isn't on the same level of a coach as Payton is, and never will be.    He's a mediocre coach, like Fox, the definition of middle of the road.  

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

According one of our beat writers (I forget which one; maybe Voth) they didn't fire John Fox in part because he convinced them that he could turn it around.

But then after being overridden on some draft decisions and other things,  he basically mailed in his final season.

Yeah, once the coach feels like he doesn't have the "control" that he should, you might as well call it.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If Rivera has lost the locker room, I don't see any way you can keep him.

This whole "losing the locker room" thing is a Huddle narrative that is born out of frustration and shock at how the season has gone. Even if there is a hint or semblance of truth to it, it is being way overblown in this forum. All of the key players that I mentioned have done enough good---and have enough goodwill in the bank with enough key people, including J-Rich himself---that I'd be shocked to see them anywhere else. 

52 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't believe he will be fired this season unless he loses the locker room.

And yes, that's a possibility.

I don't think even then. JR really doesn't fire people till they are total failures. Like losing multiple year. It sucks but it is what it is. 

Asked why he didn't fire Fox before the season, Richardson pointed to the $11.4 million that Fox and his staff were due – the 5th-highest salary pool in the league, he said – and indicated he didn't want to pay two coaching staffs.

"You know, we are running a business here," Richardson said. "And people don't like to see their ticket prices go up."

35 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

I am much more interested in a change at OC than at HC.   Honestly,  who would we replace Ron with? 

There are multiple good coordinators out there. It's just if JR is willing to except them. 

Archived