• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney's Draft History

Saca312

35 minutes ago, SOJA said:

only one I disagree on is the Peppers draft- think it's at least a B- 

I don't know. It probably is just my hatred of what happened to Peppers, but I just can't get over that draft. This is my personal opinion though, but I can see where you're going.

And I personally considered Foster a bust too. Might have been another issue, but I just didn't see anything special from him when he played.

4 hours ago, Saca312 said:

So, in light of some recent posts concerning Gettleman and questions surrounding his draft picks, I decided to make a reply with all of Hurney's draft choices with analysis. 

So, without further ado, @The_Rainmaker here's that Hurney draft history report I promised you:

1 Julius Peppers      
2 Deshaun Foster      
3 Will Witherspoon      
4 Dante Wesley      
5 Randy Fasani      
5 Kyle Johnson      
6 Keith Heinrich      
7 Brad Franklin      

Grade: D

Hurney's first draft here. I really didn't look at this draft much except just my hatred of the Peppers situation, so sorry about my earlier post on that. I got that out of my mind, and looked at this draft with a level head.

You scored on the biggest freak in the draft with the second overall pick in the first round. Hard to miss that. I guess one could ague we get a decent JAG RB committee, but nothing flashy at all. Wesley's a decent CB during his tenure here, but nothing flashy.

Foster's a bust; Panthers let Witherspoon eventually walk in FA even with his talent. So I guess based on the draft, we got a HoF (who was hard to miss with the number 2 overall honestly, so I didn't skew the grading that much) and Witherspoon and an okay corner. Other than that, not so much stuff, reason my grade stays a D.

1 Jordan Gross      
2 Bruce Nelson      
3 Mike Seidman      
3 Ricky Manning      
4 Colin Branch      
5 Kindal Moorehead      
7 Walter Young      
7 Casey Moore      

Jordan Gross. Only real bright spot from the draft. Sure, Ricky Manning was servicable for a bit, but then he became the backup for many other teams. Seidman and Nelson were busts. No one else is worth mentioning. Overall a very poor draft yet again, with a high first round pick as the only bright spot.

1 Chris Gamble      
2 Keary Colbert      
3 Travelle Wharton      
5 Drew Carter      
6 Sean Tufts      
7 Michael Gaines      

Grade: C

Chris Gamble was servicable, and arguably one of our better cornerbacks, so that was a good pick near the end of the first round, though injuries kept him at bay. Gaines was a steal for his draft position, being a servicable blocking TE for a couple of years. Colbert underperformed most of his career, definitely not worth his second round consideration.

1 Thomas Davis      
2 Eric Shelton      
3 Evan Mathis      
3 Atiyyah Ellison      
4 Stefan Lefors      
5 Adam Seward      
5 Geoff Hangartner      
5 Ben Emanuel      
6 Jovan Haye      
6 Joe Berger      

Only reason I even put him at that high of a grade was because he drafted my favorite linebacker of all time; Thomas Davis- the man, the myth, the legend. Love him to death. But otherwise, not much to see. Hangartner was solid with his contributions as a versatile guard/center. Shelton retired early, played only 2 years. Mathis is your Revis of his position; journeyman to the highest bidder. Ellison was a bust. Most others are garbage. 

1 DeAngelo Williams      
2 Richard Marshall      
3 James Anderson      
3 Rashad Butler      
4 Nate Salley      
5 Jeff King      
7 Will Montgomery      
7 Stanley McClover      

Grade: B

Decent Draft. Had some serviceable guys from this draft. DeAngelo for one is the main guy, though he later became a lazy fug. Anderson was solid. Salley busted. King was a good player. Only real impact player was DeLo, as a player that pops out. Otherwise, everyone else was either serviceable or duds. Not that much duds though.

1 Jon Beason      
2 Dwayne Jarrett      
2 Ryan Kalil      
3 Charles Johnson      
4 Ryne Robinson      
5 Dante Rosario      
5 Tim Shaw      
7 C.J. Wilson      

Grade: A-

Really good draft in all honesty, Hurney's standalone best. Jon Beason was a fantastic linebacker for us, though injuries hindered his full potential. Dwayne Jarrett was a bust though. Ryan Kalil is our All-Pro center for us today, and heaves the chains. Charles Johnson has shown flashes of greatness plenty of times, and is a great DE. Robinson busted though, Wilson was a ST ace, and Rosario bounced around on squads. Overall a really decent draft scoring on 2 All-Pros and a quality DE in Charles Johnson. A good spot for Hurney. Now, if only he continued having these years...

1 Jonathan Stewart      
1 Jeff Otah      
3 Charles Godfrey      
3 Dan Connor      
5 Gary Barnidge      
6 Nick Hayden      
7 Hilee Taylor      
7 Geoff Schwartz      
7 Mackenzy Bernadeau      

Grade: C-

Decent draft. Nailed Jonathan Stewart, but it's a pretty high first round pick and its hard to miss those. Otah was a quality tackle we grabbed, besides his injury prone self, but the value we gave up to get him was catastrophic: considering the likes of Jamaal Charles, and Ray Rice were waiting to be picked in the second round. Godfrey was servicable, but no where near eye-popping good. Connors injuries killed him as well. Everyone else is JAG. Decent, but not impactful.

2 Everette Brown      
2 Sherrod Martin      
3 Corvey Irvin      
4 Mike Goodson      
4 Tony Fiametta      
5 Duke Robinson      
7 Captain Munnerlyn      

Grade: F+

He only gets a F+ instead of F------- because of Munnerlyn and where we got him. Munnerlyn was a great pick for his draft position. 

Other than that, well, um...Goodson? Already had DeAngelo and Stewart though...um...anyone else really that wasn't an obvious bust? Hmmm. Maybe I should change it back to an F-....

2 Jimmy Clausen      
3 Brandon Lafell      
3 Armanti Edwards      
4 Eric Norwood      
6 Greg Hardy      
6 David Gettis      
6 Jordan Pugh      
6 Tony Pike      
7 R.J. Stanford      
7 Robert McClain      

Grade: D-

Unimpressive draft. Greg Hardy is the only brightspot, before he went pyscho, and getting some servicable players for a few years like LaFell, and others, but really most are either depth, busts, or goners. And we all know how the Clausen era went...

1 Cam Newton      
3 Terrell McClain      
3 Sione Fua      
4 Brandon Hogan      
5 Kealoha Pilares      
6 Lawrence Wilson      
6 Zachary Williams      
7 Lee Ziemba      

Grade: F+

You got the number 1 overall pick for this draft; pretty dang hard to miss. And lo and behold, Cam Newton was found. Our MVP QB that will be one of the GOATS if we get him some good coaches. Anyhow, as for everyone else; Oh gosh. Busts everywhere. I don't think we really got a single solid starter or backup other than Cam from that draft. That says a lot.

So why the F+? The + is for nailing the first overall pick, since you can't exactly "steal" the number one pick of the draft. Otherwise, everyone else is busts/gone/terrible. People don't really see how bad our other round picks were.

1 Luke Kuechly      
2 Amini Silatolu      
4 Frank Alexander      
4 Joe Adams      
5 Josh Norman      
6 Brad Nortman      
7 D.J. Campbell      

Grade: A-

Not that bad of a draft. Amini was a servicable guard for us before we discovered us some Norwell. Kuechly is our All-Pro once in a generation MLB. Frank Alexander showed flashes before going full retard and being suspended so much. Adams was meh. Josh Norman was our all-pro CB last year, and was a huge product of our fantastic CB coach in Steve Wilks. Brad Nortman was a servicable Punter. One of Hurney's better drafts, and it was his last.

I'll give credit where it is due; Hurney has had a few decent drafts. Most GMs do. But there are many, many instances where he's failed. 

The results sure surprised me with how much he failed though. He's a good first round drafter, but can't find sustainable players later on for the most part. 

Otherwise, far worse than Gettleman by far honestly, and that's WITH Gettleman picking bottom 10 of each round most of the time, and Hurney near top 15 every year.

He's good at picking round 1 picks, and okay at finding talent in rounds 2-3 through a few years, with some random lucky gems here and there. Otherwise, pales in comparison so far with how Gettleman is able to find talent everywhere.

And now Gettleman may be making his first top 10 pick here soon. 

That alone is exciting.

Terrible analysis....but funny....

You can't speak of Hurney without addressing his cap management. Two years with the Julius Peppers Franchise Tag debacle....two years in a row, same result. Totally handcuffed any player moves we could make and even led to the Delhomme extension in a desperate cap dollars move.

Then there were massive, over bloated contracts handed out to some of our players that further restricted the quality of the roster.

Gettleman has been quite different so far, perhaps too far in the opposite extreme with the departure of the likes of Smitty and Josh Norman. We now have a glut in cap room, and many of our players who will need to be signed asap. He's done some good extensions already but this offseason I believe will totally define Dave Gettleman's level of success in Carolina.

Hurney selected some great players when the Panthers had high draft picks that hadn't been traded away for one reason or another.  Problem was Marty wasn't very good beyond the second round and he overpaid for the talent he resigned.  It was a wonder that he lasted ten seasons, he should have been shown the door when Fox made his exit, if not a few years before.

While Gettleman has done wonders clearing the books of bad contracts left from the previous regime and found some temporary gap fillers on the cheap, he also benefited immensely from a several solid players already in place when he arrived.  

This off season will tell us who the real DG is.  

The Panthers have so many holes to fill, at times they resemble a block of Swiss cheese more than a professional football team and the coaching staff's putrid performance leaves much to be desired as well.  Tampa, NO and Atlanta have all stepped up their games this year, making the Panthers decline all the more shocking by comparison.  

Bottom Line:  The honeymoon is now officially over... Gettlemagic will be front and center this off season.  Should Dave fail to pull a rabbit out of his hat, the boo birds and demands for his head will not be far behind in 2017.

Wow. You all pulled out the Hurney scapegoat before the season is even over. You must be in some serious pain having to reconcile what the front office just did to the Panthers defense.

Now, the question is how long will the pain last that was inflicted on the defense by the front office? It does not appear things will get better on defense any time soon.

I think you have to directly address Gettleman now for the pains on the Panthers. He has continued to remove Hurney's players every season because they have no value to Gettleman, but they sure have value to the rest of the NFL.

As I stated in the off season, Gettleman has chopped away a bit too much at the foundation he was handed that held the team up. He though his players were ready to carry the team to greatness. He was wrong.

Cam and Luke can not do this on their own. They need Gettleman to add some play makers to the team quickly to replace all the talent he has removed from the team that has yet to be replaced under his watch.

I knew that Gettleman would get more credit than he deserved and Hurney would get less. Let's give Hurney a D for picking Julius Peppers because I don't like how Peppers left. That's really smart

DeShaun Foster, a multi-year starter and key cog in our first SB run is a bust but Tre Boston, Human Toast, is not. Again, intelligence prevails

Mr. Scot's spin-doctoring is on point per usual

Hurney picks our best player in franchise history and the draft is an F+. If Kelvin Benjamin put up 2005 Steve Smith numbers and every other pick sucked you'd give Gettleman an A+++. Don't lie.

Also, wouldn't it be nice to know you were almost guaranteed to get one Pro Bowl player every year?

2002: Peppers
2003: Gross
2004: None, but Gamble was a damn solid CB for years
2005: TD
2006: DeAngelo
2007: Beason, Kalil, CJ
2008: Stewart
2009: LOL
2010: Hardy
2011: Cam
2012: Luke, Norman

16 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I knew that Gettleman would get more credit than he deserved and Hurney would get less. Let's give Hurney a D for picking Julius Peppers because I don't like how Peppers left. That's really smart

DeShaun Foster, a multi-year starter and key cog in our first SB run is a bust but Tre Boston, Human Toast, is not. Again, intelligence prevails

Mr. Scot's spin-doctoring is on point per usual

FUPA lovers are too delusional they can't give credit where it's due. The fact  Dave didn't have to find a franchise QB gave him a huge advantage over many GM . 

14 hours ago, TheRed said:

You're preaching to the choir here, and anyway, Rainmaker is shitposting. Stop giving him so much attention.

You can talk about history until you're blue in the face, but Hurney isn't coming back through that door. The days of scapegoating are over with. This is Gettleman's roster. It begins, and ends with him. 

But if you really want to get down to the knitty gritty, no Marty Hurney, no Cam Newton, and no Luke Kuechly.

You wouldn't know anything about it since you've apparently only had an account here since January, but Hurney had a rabid and often blind following the same way that Gettleman has people standing in line to practically blow him off name alone. 

Why do you say that?

The only way that's true, is if we had a competent GM, we wouldn't have been drafting in the top 10 in back to back seasons.

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Why do you say that?

The only way that's true, is if we had a competent GM, we wouldn't have been drafting in the top 10 in back to back seasons.

What exactly are you arguing here? Yeah Hurney couldn't draft outside the first to save his life. We aren't talking breaking news there.

Hell no the 2010 season wasn't fun. That was more than poor drafting though, we sacrificed the franchise with a lockout looming, not to mention had our wagon hitched to a lameduck coach in a throwaway year. Yeah it sucked, but it got us Cam Newton. I'll take that 10 times out of 10.

Hurney took ALOT of f*cking heat for that pick too. Not just from the idiotic analysts who had him well behind Gabbert, and some even Jake Locker too either. This board was flooded with tears about drafting Newton. Hell, people still don't like him, strange as it is, it's 100% true. He has been merely tolerated by many in this fanbase. Fans here were almost just as livid with the Luke pick too. Overall, many on the huddle are clueless. If it were up to the huddle, we wouldn't have either Cam or Luke right now. You think things are bad at the moment? Yeah, imagine the alternative.

Archived