• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Meet your new LT drafted in the 2nd...

Catufb85

After the Panthers scoop up their franchise running back at pick #8 with Leonard Fournette.  They immediately draft protection for both Cam and Fournette in the second round at #8 pick of the second round in Troy Left Tackle Antonio Garcia...

4 Year Starter at Troy (took position as R-Freshmen) 6'6 3/8 293 (need to add about 15 lbs) but dude has great hand and foot work.  Needs to add some Lbs and Strenght, but nothing a strength coach can't fix.. Watch how he locks down the left side vs National Champions Clemson.

25 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

If he doesnt go in the first... he has been flying up draft boards since the senior bowl.

He should be available at 40 unless something changes. Most "experts" that I've seen still have at least 3 other OT's ahead of him (Robinson, Ramczyk, Bolles). Of course, all that could change in the next couple of months.

edit: he looks good on tape though, doesn't he!

24 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

If he doesnt go in the first... he has been flying up draft boards since the senior bowl.

That's what some of the talking heads have been going on about.  Get him in a NFL weight room and diet plan.  He may not be a day one starter, but it would be nice to have him in the pocket.  But do you drop a 2nd round pick on a future starter?

Though with the need and desire to find franchise LTs, could he get pushed up by the weak class?  That might keep him out of our reach.

Normally IMO, he would be a mid 2nd rounder at best or 3rd rounder in a loaded OT draft. Personally I see quite a few with starter potential from the class, a few backup. The real issue is all have a slew of questions and not the usual top end talent. still massive amount of time left to sift through the slew of guys currently projected from 2nd to 6th. Other than Ramcyzk and Robinson both at RT, no one currently sticks out sticks out as a top 20 OT their rookie year. After those two its a big mess ATM. Garcia at the top of the 2nd maybe but not sold he is the best available player we could use. Someone drafts him at the bottom of the 1st, possible as he could come out with less warts than the rest, but that smacks of Ifedi last year. Seattle was willing to let him take lumps inside as they were so needy.  But there are so many questions with this class of OT position right now, i could see him or Bolles going in the 1st His stock seams to be one of the 1st to separate from the pack (in a positive direction).

That said, Garcia is a guy I would be OK with being the backup at LT starting the year. If he has to come in for an extended time, well, you would be out of luck. but most times you loose that LT, its not an easy replacement. If that means Oher is really healthy great we kbnow what he is. If that means we do the unthinkable and trot Remmers out to keep the seat warm till Garcia is ready, i might have a problem DG....... I believe year 2, like Williams this year, will be ready for spot starts at LT; he'd be capable of holding the fort while he grows. He would likely struggle with the elite talents in the NFL, but honestly so do our starters, and most of the league. He has good feet already and great length. Cant deny he did look good against Clemson. Could also see him being overwelmed at the NFL with the the jump.

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

That's what some of the talking heads have been going on about.  Get him in a NFL weight room and diet plan.  He may not be a day one starter, but it would be nice to have him in the pocket.  But do you drop a 2nd round pick on a future starter?

Though with the need and desire to find franchise LTs, could he get pushed up by the weak class?  That might keep him out of our reach.

We spent a 1st round on backup DT, nothing wrong with this pick and Butler was more of a reach 

We talked about him a month or two ago.  Good kid, looks good in several games, but, has alligator arms which might relegate him to G in the NFL.  OT's get over drafted a lot, but not sure this guy will fit the bill physically.  I could see him as a G in a zone blocking scheme for sure and could fill in temporarily as a T when someone is injured.

I was very very disappointed when his measurables came out as I liked him a lot

3 hours ago, Catufb85 said:

After the Panthers scoop up their franchise running back at pick #8 with Leonard Fournette.  They immediately draft protection for both Cam and Fournette in the second round at #8 pick of the second round in Troy Left Tackle Antonio Garcia...

4 Year Starter at Troy (took position as R-Freshmen) 6'6 3/8 293 (need to add about 15 lbs) but dude has great hand and foot work.  Needs to add some Lbs and Strenght, but nothing a strength coach can't fix.. Watch how he locks down the left side vs National Champions Clemson.

Then we are gonna pick Jordan Leggett

Archived