• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Leonard Fournette asked if he could fall to the Carolina Panthers

CPF4LIFE

So you think a team would want to trade with us so we could trade up to the top or near the top pick for a guy who is only under contract for one more year?  And then will have to be re-signed for likely around $15M per year on a longer term contract?
You think a team would rather have that than the top (or near the top) pick under a team friendly rookie contract for 5 years?
Dude.

I would say yes for San Francisco they have almost 50 mil of salary cap. They would pay it if they need a DT. Plus they get the 8th pick so they still have a first rd pick?

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

2 hours ago, steven8989 said:

I would say yes for San Francisco they have almost 50 mil of salary cap. They would pay it if they need a DT. Plus they get the 8th pick so they still have a first rd pick?

I want you to look at the trade-value chart at the following link:

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

See SF's pick?  By the common trade-value chart, its worth 2800 points.

Know what's interesting about that?  That is greater than the value of ALL of Carolina's draft picks.

"Oh but you forgot... we're going to throw in Kawann Short!  A Pro-Bowl defensive tackle!  That's gotta be worth some big time points!"

Doubtful.  

If you were a GM, what would you rather do:  keep your #2 pick and select a top player... say, for example, someone like Joey Bosa who was the 3rd overall selection in last years draft... or trade away that premium pick?

Would you rather have a rookie who gave you 10.5 sacks playing in only 3/4 of the games last year he was on the roster (that's Bosa's stats and games played) who you have locked down for 5 years on his rookie contract at a salary of around $4.25M per year (see this link http://overthecap.com/player/joey-bosa/4716/ )?  (P.S. I bet Solomon Thomas would be a pick that could do this for SF if thats the kind of thing they wanted.)

Or would you rather trade away that premium pick, for a guy who will be turning 29 during the 2017 season that you'll have to sign to a probable 5-year deal worth about $15M per year?

Which one is going to give you better value?

"Oh, but a draft choice is a crap shoot and KK Short is a sure thing!"

(1) GM's don't draft players believing they're going to fail.

(2) I don't think its a guaranteed thing that the KK Short that was a Pro Bowler is going to be the KK Short you're going to get for the length of that contract.  He *already* took a down-turn in 2016 from 2015.

Here's one thing you can almost make book on when it comes to GM's and football talent... in a salary capped league, GM's will almost ALWAYS prefer young, inexpensive talent over veteran, expensive talent.  I say almost because there is always the rare player who is worth cracking open the bank for.

This ain't Madden where its easy enough to "throw in a player".  I can't even remember the last time a player was included in a draft-day trade.  When it comes to filling a roster, GM's value draft picks more than anything.

carolina is staying put at #8, staying put at #40,  they will move pick #64 up to around pick #50 giving up their 3rd and 5th and maybe 7th.  This gives carolina 3 picks in the top 50.  Carolina has scouted alot of players that have a 2nd round grade.

I want you to look at the trade-value chart at the following link:
http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp
See SF's pick?  By the common trade-value chart, its worth 2800 points.
Know what's interesting about that?  That is greater than the value of ALL of Carolina's draft picks.
"Oh but you forgot... we're going to throw in Kawann Short!  A Pro-Bowl defensive tackle!  That's gotta be worth some big time points!"
Doubtful.  
If you were a GM, what would you rather do:  keep your #2 pick and select a top player... say, for example, someone like Joey Bosa who was the 3rd overall selection in last years draft... or trade away that premium pick?
Would you rather have a rookie who gave you 10.5 sacks playing in only 3/4 of the games last year he was on the roster (that's Bosa's stats and games played) who you have locked down for 5 years on his rookie contract at a salary of around $4.25M per year (see this link http://overthecap.com/player/joey-bosa/4716/ )?  (P.S. I bet Solomon Thomas would be a pick that could do this for SF if thats the kind of thing they wanted.)
Or would you rather trade away that premium pick, for a guy who will be turning 29 during the 2017 season that you'll have to sign to a probable 5-year deal worth about $15M per year?
Which one is going to give you better value?
"Oh, but a draft choice is a crap shoot and KK Short is a sure thing!"
(1) GM's don't draft players believing they're going to fail.
(2) I don't think its a guaranteed thing that the KK Short that was a Pro Bowler is going to be the KK Short you're going to get for the length of that contract.  He *already* took a down-turn in 2016 from 2015.
Here's one thing you can almost make book on when it comes to GM's and football talent... in a salary capped league, GM's will almost ALWAYS prefer young, inexpensive talent over veteran, expensive talent.  I say almost because there is always the rare player who is worth cracking open the bank for.
This ain't Madden where its easy enough to "throw in a player".  I can't even remember the last time a player was included in a draft-day trade.  When it comes to filling a roster, GM's value draft picks more than anything.

carolina is staying put at #8, staying put at #40,  they will move pick #64 up to around pick #50 giving up their 3rd and 5th and maybe 7th.  This gives carolina 3 picks in the top 50.  Carolina has scouted alot of players that have a 2nd round grade.

If we trade up for a running back then all the Gettleman naysayers are correct in their assessment. 

Settle down there, cupcake.

On 4/1/2017 at 9:07 AM, rippadonn said:

Is that why he ran a slow 40? Didn't KB claim that he ran a slower 40 because he wanted to come to the Panthers.

All the elite players wouldn't mind being picked 8th this year. The Panthers are the only team in the top ten of this draft that can win it all. Winning

Fournette didn't run a slow 40 time.. 

Archived