• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Multiple Front Office Execs Believe Christian McCaffery Will Go In Top 10

bobsfoodbasics

I don't follow NCAA football so I don't know who he compares to, how good or versatile he is or anything else other than what I've seen on teh Huddle..

i do know that Gettleman has said "it doesn't matter where he is on your board, it's where he is on our board, if he fits our criteria"... and Gman does what he does, like it, expect it or not...

i do know McCaffery's rb coach is our new wr coach, could be insider influence as to his versatility & play makin ability.. and we do love some continuity, see Oher/Matsko, Shula, Wills, etc...

i do know that if he's similar to Bo, Bush or Sproles, I'd be thrilled. Them dudes moved the damn chains & changed the scoreboard, I'll take it... From what I've seen, he'd help this O get lethal again...

39 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I totally get that Fournette is a higher rated prospect than McCaffrey but who would actually help our offense more next year?

Seems like McCaffrey would add a dimension to our offense whereas Fournette might just improve what we already do.  How big of a difference is he going to make over Stewart next year?

Part of me is actually nervous about drafting Fournette, I'm afraid it will be more of the same out of our offense. 

People keep talking about a better running game protecting Cam but it might have the opposite effect.  Run on first, run on second, and sooner or later you are in third and long and Cam is running for his life again.  You keep pressure off of your QB by staying out of predictable situations.

Maybe If we draft McCaffrey it will improve our short passing attack.

Fournette is more than a next year investment. He is the future at rb with an aging Stew. If we drafted McCaffery at 202 pounds I don't think we are getting a 10 year bell cow everydown back. He is more a sproles type utility weapon. I'm not even sure Shula have the plans to get him the ball. Fournette looked fine in his proday catching the ball. We are getting a top teir back who may be as talented a back as we have ever had.

To people who think I'm off base on McCaffery, I ask you this: why should he succeed where Reggie Bush failed? Because they are both similar players and bush was the greatest college player I have ever seen.

so why is McCaffery going to succeed where Reggie Bush failed??

McCaffery is the only running back in this draft that will have 1st Rd level of success out of the shotgun formation and in the read-option. Anyone that can't see that is blind. He is not an I formation powerback but he indeed fits what we try to do on our offense better than any other RB in the draft.....on the surface anyways

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

10,000 all purpose yards is failure? Bush didn't live up to the otherworldly expectations people had for him in the NFL, but this myth that he was a bust or a failure needs to die. 

9,032 yrds not counting Return yards, over 11 seasons and 5 NFL teams, there is a reason he's on his 5th team. He's good at a lot of things but not great at anything.

in the NFL you need to be great. And if we are picking at 8, I don't want a good player, I want a great one.

10 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

9,032 yrds not counting Return yards, over 11 seasons and 5 NFL teams, there is a reason he's on his 5th team. He's good at a lot of things but not great at anything.

in the NFL you need to be great. And if we are picking at 8, I don't want a good player, I want a great one.

Over 1000 more yards from the LOS than J-Stew. Four 1200+ yards from LOS seasons. The biggest issue with Bush was staying on the field. He only played 16 games twice. He only played 14+ games five times and in four of those seasons he went for 1200+ yards. Similar to Stew in that when he was on the field he produced, the issue was that he wasn't on the field enough.

7 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

To people who think I'm off base on McCaffery, I ask you this: why should he succeed where Reggie Bush failed? Because they are both similar players and bush was the greatest college player I have ever seen.

so why is McCaffery going to succeed where Reggie Bush failed??

Because the better college player is always the better Pro, right? 

McCaffery has better vision than Bush did, but let's not act like Bush was a failure. A disappointment yes but he was a good player, just lacked vision, had fumbling issues, and was injury prone. 

11 hours ago, XClown1986 said:

I hear this all over the message board. But how do we know that? Have we ever had a player like McCaffrey? No. Do we know what Shula would want to do with a guy with McCaffrey's skill set? Nope.

Not to mention that McCaffrey is a beast. In any system, he will move the chains and put points on the board. Nuff Said.

Wildcat....

Evolution. ...

You have to think about the Panthers mindset.  They want long sustained drives from the offense.  They want to move the chains.  They want to win time of possession.  This was a problem last year because the offensive line could not consistently open holes on 1st and 2nd down, and could not maintain blocks long enough for the vertical passing game they needed on 3rd down.

Enter McCaffrey.  The offense evolves.  More quick passes.  More 6-7 yard swing passes on first down.  More 8 yard slants from the slot.  More misdirection that might actually cause a defender to move where we want him to move. Cam's completion % goes up.

8 is a little high for him, but that's the pick we have.  He would probably make more of a difference to our ball control offense than any other person in this draft.  If we can trade down a few spots I think we will.  Otherwise there is a pretty decent chance he's our guy at 8.

This sort of feels like the Keuchly debate.  Many thought we didn't really need him, we were covered at LB.  Others thought his numbers in college were inflated - many of his tackles were downfield or pile-on tackles. But people underestimated Keuchly's intelligence, instincts and desire to learn and get better.  These are traits I believe the Panthers consider very seriously and are traits McCaffrey seems to have in abundance.

Archived