• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC Observation

Jakob

I'll be going over the film shortly to get a better idea of how many times it happened, but I noticed there was a handful of snaps where the 49ers defense doubled or even triple teamed McCaffrey. Hell, even a few instances where half the defense had an eye on him. My question is, was this the 49ers being overly cautious of CMC or is this something we can expect most teams to do? What were your observations? I can't imagine how dynamic the offense could be if this is the treatment CMC will be given.

49ers were definitely keying in on him after the Panthers started force feeding CMC a ton. I wrote a bit on that here and how much he opened up plays for others.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/09/11/carolina-panthers-christian-mccaffrey-presence/

I doubt it'll be that bad when we go against future opponents, but what stands out is how fast opponents recognized CMC as a threat. We won't see it to the extreme the 49ers showed, but we should see defenses being weary.

If I was an opposing coach my takeaway from week 1 is honing in on him may be more trouble than it's worth. I expect others (as soon as Buffalo, really) to test him and take a "if he beats us he beats us" approach rather than revolve the focus around him. From there it'll be up to CMC to capitalize on it, and if he makes them pay we'll be sitting pretty.

2 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

If I was an opposing coach my takeaway from week 1 is honing in on him may be more trouble than it's worth. I expect others (as soon as Buffalo, really) to test him and take a "if he beats us he beats us" approach rather than revolve the focus around him. From there it'll be up to CMC to capitalize on it, and if he makes them pay we'll be sitting pretty.

That's what I'm hoping McD does. If he can get 85 yards with that much attention, I'd love to see what he can do with more 1v1 situations.

Someone needs to point out to him that hardly anything good happens when he starts going sideways. The play calling adjusted a bit to have him running more directly up the middle and it looked good on him. He's just beating pulling guards around the corner on sweeps and tosses. He needs to be more instinctive and just hit those holes. It reminds me of when DeAngelo first came into the league doing the same thing before he realized that 3 yards running up the back of a lineman and falling forward was better than jump cutting behind the line waiting for something to open up for a loss of a yard. Not every touch is going to be a home run. 

2 hours ago, Jakob said:

That's what I'm hoping McD does. If he can get 85 yards with that much attention, I'd love to see what he can do with more 1v1 situations.

With a little math. CMC had 3 ppl shadow him most of the game = 85 yds. Iso CMC most of the game would prob have been 255 yds. :shades:

He made the wrong cut on multiple occasions, danced too much, and overran his blocking...

All these point to first game jitters. He will settle down and be a stud. CMC's impact would have been more easily seen if Cam wasn't rusty and missing open receivers (who were open largely because of the CMC effect).

CMC is putting the fear in them, and he hasn't even gotten started good (yeah, it's grammatically incorrect, but it's what I mean). Just think what will happen when he breaks a few. He'll have that Mike Tyson psychological effect before he faces these guys. 

Seriously, even the good defenses will put a lot of energy into making sure that he doesn't beat them by himself.

If Samuel can get on the field and play as advertised, defenses will have to pick their poison between him, CMC, Benjamin, Cam and Olsen.

Having an offensive player other than Cam and Olsen merit that much attention is always a good thing. Cam's rustiness and our tendency to start the season slow means that we can't take full advantage just yet.

Certainly saw more dancing from CMC than expected although I think that's partly because he got used to our run blocking during the preseason. It looked great then but it was more of a grind first game out. The upside is that our last drive of the game started at our 1 with 8:48 left. All runs starting with Stewart and CMC converting on third down twice. 49ers never saw the ball again. That's good teamwork.

For those who think he had a bad game . If McCaffrey gets the same exact rush and rec yards every game he'll end up with : 

80 receptions 
608 receiving yards 

208 carries
752 rushing yards

1360 yards total 

Thats not fuging bad .  According to last year that would have put him in the top 20 (#15 ahead of mike evans, and Antonio brown, and just below Mark Engram, Spencer, Ware, OBJ, and less than 100 yards away from Julio Jones and Melvin Gordon. 

David Johnson RB ARI 2118 6157 34.4% 16 34.4%
3 Ezekiel Elliott RB DAL 1994 6195 32.2% 15 34.3%
1 Le'Veon Bell RB PIT 1884 6137 30.7% 12 40.9%
7 DeMarco Murray RB TEN 1664 5907 28.2% 16 28.2%
5 LeSean McCoy RB BUF 1623 5880 27.6% 15 29.4%
6 Jordan Howard RB CHI 1611 5874 27.4% 15 29.3%
23 Devonta Freeman RB ATL 1541 6888 22.4% 16 22.4%
16 T.Y. Hilton WR IND 1448 6119 23.7% 16 23.7%
9 Jay Ajayi RB MIA 1423 5540 25.7% 15 27.4%
4 Melvin Gordon RB SDG 1416 5896 24% 13 29.6%
19 Julio Jones WR ATL 1409 6888 20.5% 14 23.4%
14 Odell Beckham WR NYG 1376 5439 25.3% 16 25.3%