• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pretty cool evening with a former Panther...

jrc1106

...even if it was one of Hurney's second rounders.

I coach a 5/6th grade youth football team in my town.  A few weeks ago one of our JV (3/4th grade) coaches tells me he coached Everette Brown when he was growing up and asked if I would be interested in having him out one evening to talk to the kids.   As a Panthers fan, my first instinct was 'nah', but I decided that maybe it would be a good idea.

He finally made it out tonight, and I have to say he was a really cool dude.  He spoke with our teams for 10-15 minutes, and they seemed to really take it all in.  He helped drive home a lot of points that we continually harp on (school is the #1 priority, surrounding yourself with the right people, and always giving 100%), and then he gave the kids a chance to ask questions.  

I didn't count, but I'd estimate he fielded at least a half dozen questions about Cam but he didn't seem to mind it at all.  Afterward he hung out with the kids, signed a pile of his rookie cards that he brought, and then sat down and ate with the team.  All the while, any kid that spoke to him got 100% of his attention.  

I know his run here was far from what anyone here had hoped, but I guess he can't help that he was over drafted.  Even if his days in the black and blue were short he still achieved something that pretty much no one is able to do.  I'm glad  to have been able to meet him.

7 hours ago, jrc1106 said:

...even if it was one of Hurney's second rounders.

I coach a 5/6th grade youth football team in my town.  A few weeks ago one of our JV (3/4th grade) coaches tells me he coached Everette Brown when he was growing up and asked if I would be interested in having him out one evening to talk to the kids.   As a Panthers fan, my first instinct was 'nah', but I decided that maybe it would be a good idea.

He finally made it out tonight, and I have to say he was a really cool dude.  He spoke with our teams for 10-15 minutes, and they seemed to really take it all in.  He helped drive home a lot of points that we continually harp on (school is the #1 priority, surrounding yourself with the right people, and always giving 100%), and then he gave the kids a chance to ask questions.  

I didn't count, but I'd estimate he fielded at least a half dozen questions about Cam but he didn't seem to mind it at all.  Afterward he hung out with the kids, signed a pile of his rookie cards that he brought, and then sat down and ate with the team.  All the while, any kid that spoke to him got 100% of his attention.  

I know his run here was far from what anyone here had hoped, but I guess he can't help that he was over drafted.  Even if his days in the black and blue were short he still achieved something that pretty much no one is able to do.  I'm glad  to have been able to meet him.

I met him once...Heck of a guy.  I hated the fact that he busted

Archived