• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Kalil did not allow a pressure vs. Lions

KSpan

40 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Absolutely a part of it, if not a lot of it.

Not a lot of it at all it's all his ability showing clear being coached up by Matsko it seems. Cams getting it out quicker when I rewatched the game he locked his man up play after play his play is worthy of the contract so far. Big time salute to the way we bring out good play from what seem to be average players (i.e. Check his minny tape check Ohers tenn tape before they came here)

50 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Yep, its both of them working together. 

Cam is getting rid of the ball faster. Makes Matt's job easier, he is more confident, and is starting to make these plays... 

You'll hear plenty of people talk about chemistry between quarterbacks and receivers. It's not often you hear people talk about chemistry between quarterbacks and left tackles, but that's  absolutely a thing. And it takes time to develop.

Take, for example, the usual distance a QB drops back. A left tackle needs to have a feel for that so that he knows where to take his man. If the two aren't on the same page when it comes to distance, ouch.

Throw in that Newton has a bad habit of going backward instead of stepping up in the pocket. That can be adjusted for, but you have to know it's there first.

Honestly, a quarterback needs to have chemistry with the entire line, but we're primarily talking about left tackle here.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

giphy.gif

Good thing Cam is getting rid of it quick in cases like this. Daryl was easily getting pushed right back into Cam. Overall though I like how the line performed yesterday. They certainly wasn't perfect but we had a lot of plays where Cam had all day to throw the ball. Something that we never had last year.

Cam is getting rid of the ball faster. Makes Matt's job easier, he is more confident, and is starting to make these plays... 

giphy.gif

Good news all around. 

Cam could have read a George RR Martin novel then showered and still would have had time to find an open receiver with that pocket. 

He did good job past 2 games. I know i saw lot if times where the left guard would bounce over to help. This is most notable on the td to funchess. I think usually they would have the second TE to help out and the guard to take on a free hat or help the center. I hope matt kalil can handle more on his own as it seems teams are getting good pressure up the middle and its with larson and  ryan kalil. Would like to see more help for the middle or if they will keep doing this continue to allow a roll out option since cam wont be able to step up in pocket if pressure up front.

Cam is getting rid of the ball faster, but that has as much to do with Cam as it does with his receivers getting open.  Funch has been playing big boy football lately and using his size to create separation which is paying huge dividends for Cam.  that said, to the original topic, Matt Kalil is playing some good ball right now.  Regardless of how quick cam is making decisions, the routes take time and Kalil has been doing a better job of protecting Cams blindside.  If it were just a Cam thing then Ron would never have said something in a press conference.  In fact, I think that comment that Ron made was what made Matt Kalil wake up.

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

Larsen specifically, and Trai Turner has to help Daryl Williams A LOT. Boy, if Trai wasn’t there Cam’s right side would be giving up double digit sacks.

There was one particular screen pass in the game to Stewart that was totally blown up that a lot of people gave Shula hell for when what actually happened was that Trai pulled from his position and sweeped right, looked around at nothing and blocking air, meanwhile the cornerback comes in unblocked and blew up the play for a loss.

giphy.gif

Good news all around. 

A lot of the "getting the ball out quicker" also has to do with receivers actually getting open/getting separation.

And a lot of THAT might have to do with the defense not as sure in their pass defending because of multiple threats like CMC.

Archived