• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Is Happy With What The Offense Is Doing

bobsfoodbasics

2 hours ago, Jmac said:

This just proves that he is a big part of the problem.....JR loves defensive minded coaches. Maybe in the Green Bay ice bowl 50 years ago this was acceptable....not in the 21st century. Sick of all of this B.S.....don't care anymore.

Back in the 1970's and 1980's, our dear head coach's heyday in high school, college and the pros, elite RBs weren't that much smaller than they are today (Walter Payton played at around 200 lbs... Eric Dickerson around 220), LBs weren't that much smaller than they are today (Rivera played at around 235, Mike Singletary at around 230), but you know what position WAS a lot smaller back then?

Defensive linemen.

Mean Joe Green was a HUGE defensive tackle back in his day and played at around 275 lbs.  Bob Baumhower, an All-Pro nose tackle for the Dolphins back then, played at around 265 lbs.

Today, defensive ends are as big as DTs used to be and DTs are *huge* (rarely do DTs play under 300 lbs in this league anymore).  Yes, OL have gotten bigger as well, but back in Ron's younger days the OL regularly outsized their defensive counterparts.  THAT is why running the ball a lot still payed off back then.  The story today is different... its damn hard to run the ball efficiently as a primary mode of offense in the NFL these days because those huge DL build a damn wall.

Which is one of the primary reasons the NFL changed their rules.  Because as the DL kept getting bigger and bigger and stopping the run game more and more as time went on, the game became less entertaining.  And entertainment is (supposedly) what the league is all about.  So what did the NFL do?  Why, they changed the rules to advantage the passing game, knowing that smart teams would take advantage of those rules and play a more entertaining brand of football.  And a more entertaining brand of football = more $$$ for the NFL.

And then there's ol' Ron, who still lives in the 1970's and 80's and loves running into those brick walls.  Repeatedly.  All while teams with smarter management and coaches take those rules and use them to their advantage (see: New England, Seattle, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Peyton Manning Indianapolis, etc.).  Now you might say that "Hey, all those teams can/could run the ball too!" and you would be right.  But for those teams, the run is not their primary identity.  Running the ball above anything and everything is not their OBSESSION.  The same cannot be said about Ron Rivera and Mike Shula.

That's it. I will planning my Sundays around something else. If our coaches and owner aren't taking this serious, there's no reason we should either. I will not longer pour my money into this franchise buying tickets, jerseys, or anything related to this team until they put winning first We want a winning franchise, not a godamn day care.

30 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Back in the 1970's and 1980's, our dear head coach's heyday in high school, college and the pros, elite RBs weren't that much smaller than they are today (Walter Payton played at around 200 lbs... Eric Dickerson around 220), LBs weren't that much smaller than they are today (Rivera played at around 235, Mike Singletary at around 230), but you know what position WAS a lot smaller back then?

Defensive linemen.

Mean Joe Green was a HUGE defensive tackle back in his day and played at around 275 lbs.  Bob Baumhower, an All-Pro nose tackle for the Dolphins back then, played at around 265 lbs.

Today, defensive ends are as big as DTs used to be and DTs are *huge* (rarely do DTs play under 300 lbs in this league anymore).  Yes, OL have gotten bigger as well, but back in Ron's younger days the OL regularly outsized their defensive counterparts.  THAT is why running the ball a lot still payed off back then.  The story today is different... its damn hard to run the ball efficiently as a primary mode of offense in the NFL these days because those huge DL build a damn wall.

Which is one of the primary reasons the NFL changed their rules.  Because as the DL kept getting bigger and bigger and stopping the run game more and more as time went on, the game because less entertaining.  And entertainment is (supposedly) what the league is all about.  So what did the NFL do?  Why, they changed the rules to advantage the passing game, knowing that smart teams would take advantage of those rules and play a more entertaining brand of football.  And a more entertaining brand of football = more $$$ for the NFL.

And then there's ol' Ron, who still lives in the 1970's and 80's and loves running into those brick walls.  Repeatedly.  All while teams with smarter management and coaches take those rules and use them to their advantage (see: New England, Seattle, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Peyton Manning Indianapolis, etc.).  Now you might say that "Hey, all those teams can/could run the ball too!" and you would be right.  But for those teams, the run is not their primary identity.  Running the ball above anything and everything is not their OBSESSION.  The same cannot be said about Ron Rivera and Mike Shula.

A few years back when Joe Gibbs returned to coach the Redskins in the 2000's  I read an article about a conversation he had with his some of his offensive lineman. Having coached the legendary "hogs" from the 80's and early 90's, he wanted to establish a dominant running game. He asked them why they weren't getting more push upfront against the defensive line. Someone replied by saying it was a lot harder to move these guys now than when you coached because they're so big.

I think's it's a mistake to try to run the ball to set up the pass in today's game. Bill Walsh figured out decades ago that the new rules have changed things. You pass to set up the run. I hated the 49er's as a kid, but I saw them get up early in a bunch of games and then ice the game by running the ball down the others sides' throat as the defense wore down. When they couldn't run they'd use safe 4-5 yd passes to take the place of the run.

If a team knows it has to worry about a pass each play, they can't crowd an extra man into the box. If the pass rush is too aggressive you run screen passes or draw plays to slow it down. Once they're winded from pass rushing, start running the ball. Mike Ditka once said that running backs don't really get better as the game goes on, the defense just gets tired. I tend to agree with him.

play calling wasn't bad or great, bigger issues is lack of accountability from position coaches and players, which falls on rivera. Ultimately i think rivera is holding the team back, his play style is just too conservative. Job for the OC should be to put as many points on the board as possible, i don't think that's ever been rivera's mindset since he's been head coach 

Archived