• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Olsen Says Shula isn’t the Problem and the Critics Have No Idea What’s Really Going On

HardcoreDefense

Step outside the box for a moment. Do we think a stand up guy like Greg is going to throw anyone under the bus during an interview? Do we really expect him to say"Shula's offense is totally "F"ed up. He's a fugging moron who should be working the drive through at Bojangles in Thomasville".

1 hour ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Fans sometimes put way to much emphasis on play calling.  I do agree in general that lack of execution is a far bigger problem than playcalling.  That being said, the offensive coordinator is partially responsible for the lack of execution.  

You dont run a toothpick (by football standards) up the middle with ten guys stacking the box....ask any peewee coach.

Question: Since the Panthers are a business, what are the odds that they realize people are calling for Shula's head and decided to take some preemptive measures? Gotta keep the fans happy and not let the narrative get out of hand. So the PR guys nab 88, a trustworthy face of the franchise, and produce a quasi scripted feel better piece to tame the angry hoard of fans? No, I don't have a tin foil hat on, but given how big business and their marketing departments work these days, it's not all that far fetched.

3 hours ago, HardcoreDefense said:

He doesn't necessarily have to go out and bash him. I believe most of his statements are correct. Our players can do better. We are lacking execution on offense and players are constantly making simple mistakes. There have been numerous occasions this season where players are lost and have no idea what to do or who to block.  

But as a team captain and one of JR's favorites, Good Guy Greg shouldn't fear the consequences. I just hate being fed bs. We may not realize what's happening behind closed doors but we witness it on Sunday. When it's multiple players struggling with poor execution, miscommunication, or uncertainty of what to do on a play, that is a reflection on the coaching. Yes, Shula has called some good games but he just isn't consistent at it. 

The ship isn't sinking yet so I don't expect anyone to start bashing. It's just a bit frustrating seeing the same problems recur every single season. 

Its one thing when a rookie does not know what to do..thats understandable, but players that have been here for a while and are skilled at the position... What do we expect to hear from current players..they're not going to talk negative and Greg learned from the Gettleman experience...i know what i see..i see bad player execution, bad play designs which could fall under player execution. Bad play calls..i see it all..when you can not score more than 3 pts and this is not the 1st game where offense fell short..its really bad.

4 hours ago, rawrunning said:

Olsen has always said the "right thing". If Cam said this, I might believe the players actually think this. But reality is Olsen and Kuechly both were taught to say nothing controversial to media, and that's obviously what's happening here. 

There are some players who will never point the finger at coaches . Guys like this will always put the blame on themselves. Olson is one of those, and it's an admirable trait. 

Kind of unfortunate that he plays for a head coach who has no problem whatsoever pointing a finger at somebody else.

What do you expect him to say?

"Our offensive game plans are both playing to our weaknesses, and the opposing teams strengths.  It's almost unfathomable in this era that you can only muster 3 point on offense against a fairly poor team...I mean we aren't talking about Coach Rivera's 85 Bears here, this was a team that couldn't muster a 1st down in the entire 2nd half.  Kalil needs to play better, Trai needs to put his head down, I don't know what the hell KB and Funch are doing out there, and for god's sake Cam, come on man.  The offense is stagnant, and Shula knows that none of us believe in him, or trust his abilities.  We are a bad team, and unless there are some coaching changes, I will likely be on vacation starting Jan, 1 2018.  Maybe I can finally get that extension after that, but I may want to finish my career with a winner, we'll see."

Greg’s a fuging tool. He’s a talented tool, but he’s a tool.

If this whole team is willing to swear up and down that our offense’s complete failure isn’t due to our OC then I better hear some names of players who are fuging up on every play. Who’s the one who is confused, not executing, who is causing this talented team to fail? Notice he pads his answer to avoid accountability. He’s not in the room so he can’t say exact assignments but he’s a captain with 6 years in the same offense and considered a highly intelligent player— and by the way trust him he knows the offense, it’s not shula’s fault.

yes it is his fault. I don’t wanna hear about execution when you run the same running play to negative yards all game long. At that point you’re the idiot who isn’t executing your job as play caller.

Archived