• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Simmons Idea for Cam

PantherBrew

First of all, I know some people have a massive loathing for Bill Simmons.  

I have a love/hate relationship. I know, he tries to seem really informed about everything, when its impossible. I know he is irrational about his own team (most are), and he has been unfairly critical of Cam in the past, but man... he is spot on with this from today's article. 

Fun Idea No. 8: We Need Cam Newton to Declare War on Everybody

If Cam played hoops, NBA junkies would be defending his individuality, writing 6,000-word think pieces about his franchise failing to surround him with enough talent, posting good-natured memes about his wardrobe choices, and generally appreciating one of the league’s freak talents. You know, like we did with Russell Westbrook.

Unfortunately, Cam plays in the NFL, where everyone bitches about his press conferences, questions his toughness, wonders why he doesn’t “show up” in big games, picks apart his footwork and even unironically nicknames him “Sir Cameron Newton: Leader of Men, Lover of Puppies...Esquire” (a recent Colin Cowherd special).

Carolina Panthers v Chicago BearsPhoto by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images

The amount of poo Cam takes is almost unbelievable. In 2015, the Panthers went 15-1 and made the Super Bowl as Cam threw for 3,837 yards and 35 touchdowns, ran for another 636 yards and 10 touchdowns, threw only 10 picks and pulled it off with Jonathan Stewart, Ted Ginn Jr., Greg Olsen, and Jerricho Cotchery as his best skill-position guys. It’s probably the best non-Brady/Rodgers/Manning QB season of 21st century. In 2016, he got the absolute poo kicked out of him in Week 1 and never really recovered. In 2017, he hasn’t had Olsen since Week 2, and even worse, anointed Panthers savior Christian McCaffrey looks like the next Rex Burkhead.

Sir Cameron Newton: Leader of Men, Lover of Puppies...Esquire??? Seriously? He’s 28! We’re giving this dude poo? Is Matt Ryan getting crucified for having shitty footwork, choking in big moments, turning the ball over too much or playing like “Flat Ryan”? Not really. (I don’t need to spell this out for you.) Instead of having his feelings hurt and walking out of press conferences like a big baby, Cam needs to veer the other way. Embrace the thinly veiled dog whistle heat just like Iverson did back in the day. Feed off it. Own it. Call it out for what it is.

In Chicago last Sunday, Newton looked like a shell of himself, like he lost his football spark. Hey, Cam? You won a Heisman and an MVP, made a Super Bowl and went 48-27-1 in your past 76 starts (including 3-3 in the playoffs). Now, you need to throw a gigantic chip on your shoulder, forget about being marketable and go into Kanye/“Runaway” mode. Have a toast for the douchebags, have a toast for the assholes, have a toast for the scumbags, have a toast for the sports-radio hosts. Just do you. And part of that requires a press conference in which you wonder, in all seriousness, why you take more crap than every other good QB in the league. Followed by you telling everyone to fug off.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/10/27/16559788/week-8-nfl-picks-10-ways-to-fix 

Thoughts?

32 minutes ago, rayzor said:

love it. let  all those tennessee moms just keep yakking and complaining about every little thing he does and don't worry about it. just go out there and win your own way.

If he and the Panthers do not start winning games that matter, start in general and at home in particular, no one  will care what he does, what he says, or what he wears  

then again a 100 million  $$ contract no matter what he does or doesn't do.

i suspect his feelings and frustrations are calmed by that.

12 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

If he and the Panthers do not start winning games that matter, start in general and at home in particular, no one  will care what he does, what he says, or what he wears  

then again a 100 million  $$ contract no matter what he does or doesn't do.

i suspect his feelings and frustrations are calmed by that.

Why are you continually so worried about how much money he has?

I doubt he's pondering on how he's going to spend his next game check while he's flying through the air headfirst with reckless abandon just to score touchdowns for ungrateful fans like yourself.

Archived