• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Devin Funchess Compared To Rest Of NFC South WR1s

Saca312

One of the biggest takeaways from this also seems to be that with Funchess as the WR1, he doesn't just stand out as good in the NFC South, but the rest of our receiving corps seems to be doing better as well.

This might be like in gardening where you have to yank one plant out of the ground so that the others around it can grow.

By the end of the season, we'll all be thinking this was a great move by the front office.

I've got to admit, I've been surprised and encouraged by how Funchess has been playing.  After how he "vanished" last year (which I realize was probably due to poor coaching) I wasn't ready to really believe he'd step up and play this physically.  Hoping he keeps it up and above all stays healthy.  But surely he's looking promising and showing talent and drive we'd all hoped was there.

45 minutes ago, SeoulPanther said:

My bad. MT is no bust. But top 5 based on 1 completed season? With one of the very best QB's, a consistently strong O-line and Brandin Cooks spreading the field (last year). Payton calling the plays. Its harder to fail than succeed in that situation. I'm willing to give him a bit more time before I put him in front of proven players like Jordy Nelson and Nuk Hopkins (who has 8 TD's this year despite 3 games of Tom Savage).

It's really hard for me to say myself. There's a lot of good, young WRs in the leauge right now. Though my top three are Jones, Brown and Hopkins in that order. After that there's a valid argument for anyone after them.

1 hour ago, Rags said:

I've seen many WRs show up and then dissapppear (who remembers when I was the biggest David Gettis fan)

6th round picks often flop. Funchess was the 41st selection and only available there due to his short time at WR in college, with a bad QB. Still a risk certainly, but the talent was obvious and it looks like the pick paid off. 

The Huddle was ready to cut Funchess in the off-season and now this. Testament to the fact that players need time to adjust to the NFL and only a couple players each year are ready to contribute immediately and these guys are the first off the board. 

8 hours ago, SeoulPanther said:

I don't mean to criticise him and you're right about NO's style of play. Nonetheless I expect he and the NO team and fans might have hoped for more. I guess what I'm saying is he hasn't clearly stepped into the WR1 role after the departure of Cooks, so as to be considered on the same level as Julio and Mike Evans.

Yes he has, but this is the problem with fantasy football. Don't just look at a statline, watch the game. Thomas is drawing doubles every week, Saints are throwing less, and he's on pace to do what he did last year, without the TDs because of the running game.

There are a few more touches per game with KB gone.

Cam is hitting his stride, hopefully let's keep him healthy.

Funch is young, but now has 2.5 years in the NFL under his belt, and that much time working with real coaches.

Stew playing better, and CMC helping move defenses around are helping Funch.

Funch getting closer to the end of his rookie contract.

All of those things combined, and we have a legit WR.

4 hours ago, Rags said:

It's really hard for me to say myself. There's a lot of good, young WRs in the leauge right now. Though my top three are Jones, Brown and Hopkins in that order. After that there's a valid argument for anyone after them.

I'm sorry, but while my opinion used to be Brown and Jones is a toss up for number 1, I'm of the opinion now Brown is CLEARLY better than Jones and I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise. Brown has way better hands and is way more consistent. I honestly can't fathom how people put julio above him at this point, as close as they still are, Brown definitely has the edge.

13 hours ago, Saca312 said:

This fact alone makes me think Funchess hasnt even come close to his ceiling yet. Funchess was forced to perform his rookie season with the loss of Benji. i feel like it was almost natural to expect a sophomore slump from him last year as Benji came back and we struggled to put together an offense. Cam went back to staring Benji down, except that Benji was slowed by lingering pain. we all know the result was not good. enter 2017: Funchess quietly has a great camp, much to certain Huddlers' dismay, Benji is looking more like his rookie self, but Cam keeps staring his best buddy down and either trying to force it too much, or missing other wide open receivers. But this year Funchess has experience and can be trusted with a higher snap count (or at least the potential reward outweighs the risk). Benji gets traded and we see Funchess take off AND HES STILL YOUNGER THAN 2017 ROOKIES. at the rist of having to eat crow in a year or two or three, i think Funchess has the potential to be our Julio Jones. 

1 hour ago, UpstatePanther said:

This fact alone makes me think Funchess hasnt even come close to his ceiling yet. Funchess was forced to perform his rookie season with the loss of Benji. i feel like it was almost natural to expect a sophomore slump from him last year as Benji came back and we struggled to put together an offense. Cam went back to staring Benji down, except that Benji was slowed by lingering pain. we all know the result was not good. enter 2017: Funchess quietly has a great camp, much to certain Huddlers' dismay, Benji is looking more like his rookie self, but Cam keeps staring his best buddy down and either trying to force it too much, or missing other wide open receivers. But this year Funchess has experience and can be trusted with a higher snap count (or at least the potential reward outweighs the risk). Benji gets traded and we see Funchess take off AND HES STILL YOUNGER THAN 2017 ROOKIES. at the rist of having to eat crow in a year or two or three, i think Funchess has the potential to be our Julio Jones. 

He has that Moose and TO (without the cray) mix

Archived