• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If I were the new owner(s)....

Jangler

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Fixed it for you 

How many franchises can claim they've been more consistent with their current head coach right now?

Patriots and Seahawks? Maybe Steelers but without getting past a divisional round?

2014 wasn't totally totally earned but they dealt with 4/5  starters on the OL changing, a terrible secondary because of cap restraints and the franchise tag player being put on exempt list. Cam also had his rib injury and then the car accident. 

2016 was again high turnover in one unit being the secondary, the LT having a career ending concussion and our QB taking headshots all year.

I don't see why moving on would help when Rivera has produced when his roster is stable year to year.. We have areas of weakness but there won't be another unit getting decimated like those two down years. Some of that you can criticize Gettleman for but in the effects of the Hurney contracts were still taking a toll on their ability to fund plans and it was unfortunate Josh was too old for a big contract.

you all need to realize that even if they get big leads and then barely hold on to finish, most teams don't even get that lead. There's a reason the spreads on NFL games is an average of less than a TD.

I disagree with most. It's time for a change for both Rivera and Cam's sake. Rivera would be highly sought after as a HC and this team needs a new philosophy. 

Just like Tony Dungy and John Gruden. Both great successful coaches, but needed to change teams to win the super bowl.

Edit: they needed to change teams to win the super bowl.

If I am the new owner, I can't stand the Saints getting a second Super Bowl ring or Atlanta its first, and my team nothing

i open up my pocketbook and I go get the best scouts and the best coaches and i build the team from the inside out. 

On free agents, between 24 to 27 years old with a highly probable upside 

on Vets, follow the Pats model  

Rivera is interviewed and if he insists on Shula staying, I find money necessary for Frank Reich to replace Ron and go get better coaches

nothing against Ron  but as the saying goes, 'keep doing what you have always done and you will get what you have always got'and what we have got has never been good enough to get the job done

fan items

1. the NFL shield leaves that 50 yard line 

2. halftime returns with university and high school bands o other music acts

3. there is a specialty drink served at all games 

4. shuttles to take people from tailgating to the stadium to get people in there seats before player introductions 

5. free hats and Gatorade in sept for the sunny side of the stadium   Panthers fans only 

2 hours ago, mc52beast said:

No way a new owner/ owners is going to cut ties with Cam. Ron isn’t going anywhere either, multiple trips to the playoffs will buy you time with just about anyone. Not so sure about job security for our coordinators, Wilks will probably be a HC somewhere but Shula could be on the way out.

Totally disagree.  Consistently stoic looks on the sideline easily negates 5-6 wins per season.  

We have one of the shiitiest coaches in football. Time to move on per message board guidelines

Will it matter if the London Panthers keep Rivera on as head coach for those of you thinking this is a concern?

Sorry, but the timing of this sale stinks for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the league wanting to put a team in Wembley Stadium. The second being the city/team agreement to stay in Charlotte expires following the 2018 season as a result of the $75M in public funds used to renovate the stadium in 2013.

The Georgia Dome, former home of the Atlanta Falcons, was only 2 years older than BOA. Here are the other stadiums older than BOA:

Arrowhead (Kansas City)

Hard Rock (Miami)

Lambeau (Green Bay)

LA Coliseum (Los Angeles Rams & Chargers) (new stadium under construction)

Oakland-Alameda (Raiders) (moving to Las Vegas)

Soldier Field (Chicago) (was basically demolished inside the walls and rebuilt in 2002)

And if there some of you naive enough to believe that new ownership won't consider holding Charlotte hostage for a new stadium, well... don't know what to tell you. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/21/nfl-london-team-international-series-europe-football

The goal, to start, was to have a team in London at the International Series’ 15-year mark. We’re two-thirds of the way there, and Waller thinks 2022 is doable.

“Absolutely,” he says. “And that aligns well from a CBA and union standpoint—that would need to be part of a union agreement. Not to say we couldn’t bargain it separately, but obviously if we’re doing it around that time, that would make sense. And from a media/broadcast standpoint, we’d need to think it through. It feels to me like all the indicators are there, showing that’s still a realistic timeframe.”

Indeed, the CBA expires in March 2021 and the broadcast deals are up after the 2022 season, so the timing works. What’s left to figure out in London? The biggest issues are logistical.

Having a team five time zones from New York and eight time zones from Los Angeles isn’t ideal, and competitive-balance issues resulting from that can’t be ignored. To ease the issues, Waller says the hope is to give a London team two facilities—one in the UK and another somewhere in the U.S. southeast.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I don't want the Panthers to leave, but again, the timing of JR's decision to sell the franchise couldn't be any worse for the fans in Carolina and I think the team is a prime candidate for a move.

I agree with Rivera absolutely having to stay. He needs a LONG extension to make sure he doesn't get cold feet under new owners. He's been maybe the best Panthers coach of all time. 

I feel MUCH differently about Marty Hurney. The sole reason I would consider him someone to keep would be because I'd want someone who wants Rivera in town. Hiring a new GM and also retaining the current coach isn't easy because GMs want to do their own picking. So the Rivera-factor is literally the only reason I want that poor drafting, talent misevaluating, money grubbing failure of a GM to stick around. PRAY that the guys DG cultivated in that front office keep Hurney in line and out of his own way. Make him for all intents and purposes a figurehead GM and nothing more...

4 hours ago, ShutDwn said:

I don't see why moving on would help when Rivera has produced when his roster is stable year to year.. We have areas of weakness but there won't be another unit getting decimated like those two down years.

Rivera is consistently inconsistent. Hard to say that we won't suffer injuries like those 2 years again. That's the thing that frustrates me the most about RR. He and his coordinators stick to doing the exact same thing, even if injuries, retirement, suspension, etc don't allow for that. It's gotten to the point that when I hear him talk all I hear is "It is what it is." 

After 7 years it's time for him to produce a consistent product, year in, year out. He has his franchise QB, which is a lot more than a lot of teams can say. He has a guy heading his D that will probably be considered among the GOAT at MLB if he can play a full career in Luke, but still hasn't put together back to back winning seasons. I know a lot of people judge success by how many times you go to the playoffs, I judge by consistent product year to year. I'm expecting us to have a losing record next year because that's what I've come to expect from this team. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan, just makes me a guy with reasonable expectations based on previous history. 

IMO, Ron's feet should still be to the fire. He coaches better that way. 

Rivera is the best coach this franchise has ever had.

The dude isn't perfect and he isn't belichick , but Rivera is a solid NFL head coach. Plain and simple.

He has set the tone and has created a winning culture in Charlotte. Ron, Cam, Greg, TD, Luke and the Gang. This is the greatest era of the franchise we've ever seen and will be looking back at the good ol days sooner than later. Enjoy it fans, b/c we do have something special in Charlotte right now, don't let it pass you by...

5 hours ago, Navy_football said:

I disagree with most. It's time for a change for both Rivera and Cam's sake. Rivera would be highly sought after as a HC and this team needs a new philosophy. 

Just like Tony Dungy and John Gruden. Both great successful coaches, but needed to change teams to win the super bowl.

Edit: they needed to change teams to win the super bowl.

love that comparison and I agree. Just b/c you have a decent HC with your current team dont mean hes the best possible one. Takes really wise management to realize that and pick the right guy that could actually take the team to the ultimate level, which is WINNING a SB (we GOT to a SB with John Fox as well). 

And something no HC for this organization has done either? Posted at least 2 winning seasons in a row. In well over 20 years, somehow we haven't even managed to do that. Rivera's not some god of coaches that's leading us to 12-4 every year and the NFCCG every year 

Changing HC (and prefferably OC) doesnt mean we are scrapping the entire roster and starting over from scratch. Sometimes change is a good thing. 

16 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Rivera is consistently inconsistent. Hard to say that we won't suffer injuries like those 2 years again. That's the thing that frustrates me the most about RR. He and his coordinators stick to doing the exact same thing, even if injuries, retirement, suspension, etc don't allow for that. It's gotten to the point that when I hear him talk all I hear is "It is what it is." 

After 7 years it's time for him to produce a consistent product, year in, year out. He has his franchise QB, which is a lot more than a lot of teams can say. He has a guy heading his D that will probably be considered among the GOAT at MLB if he can play a full career in Luke, but still hasn't put together back to back winning seasons. I know a lot of people judge success by how many times you go to the playoffs, I judge by consistent product year to year. I'm expecting us to have a losing record next year because that's what I've come to expect from this team. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan, just makes me a guy with reasonable expectations based on previous history. 

IMO, Ron's feet should still be to the fire. He coaches better that way. 

Is this post real life?

First you say we suffered a lot of injuries in two particular years, then blame the coaching staff for not being consistent in those two years... wut.   They key injuries were the players you highlight as being the reason we should be consistent. 

Are you saying Steve Wilks' defense is not different than Sean's?

Are you saying our offense does not do different things with CMC than in previous years?

Yes, let's turn up the heat on our minimum 11 win coach (this season) who has been to the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years, with 3 division titles, and as many playoff appearances as the 18 years before he got here, won coach of the year twice, and is 40-16 in the last two months of the season. 

22 hours ago, ShutDwn said:

How many franchises can claim they've been more consistent with their current head coach right now?

Patriots and Seahawks? Maybe Steelers but without getting past a divisional round?

2014 wasn't totally totally earned but they dealt with 4/5  starters on the OL changing, a terrible secondary because of cap restraints and the franchise tag player being put on exempt list. Cam also had his rib injury and then the car accident. 

2016 was again high turnover in one unit being the secondary, the LT having a career ending concussion and our QB taking headshots all year.

I don't see why moving on would help when Rivera has produced when his roster is stable year to year.. We have areas of weakness but there won't be another unit getting decimated like those two down years. Some of that you can criticize Gettleman for but in the effects of the Hurney contracts were still taking a toll on their ability to fund plans and it was unfortunate Josh was too old for a big contract.

you all need to realize that even if they get big leads and then barely hold on to finish, most teams don't even get that lead. There's a reason the spreads on NFL games is an average of less than a TD.

Wins per season:
2011 - 6
2012 - 7
2013 - 12
2014 - 7
2105 - 15
2016 - 6
2017 - 11-12

You can argue how successful he has been, but one thing it is not is consistent.

Archived