• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Converted OT Matt Kalil's $10M Option Bonus Into A Signing Bonus Guaranteeing He'll Be On Roster In 2018

bobsfoodbasics

If I understand it correctly, this is not good for those of us that want to get rid of Kalil. It spreads out the 10M bonus over the 4 years of his contract rather than giving him 10M in salary for next season. So while it saves us cap space for this season, it means we are stuck with and won't cut him after next season. Now he has a 15m cap hit if cut before 2019 and and a 10m cap hit if cut before 2020.

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Salary isn't guaranteed. Signing bonus is. Yes, if Kalil is suspended or retires then he'll have to pay back the bonus money for the future years and it won't count against the cap. But what is the actual likelihood of that occurring? Probably slim to none. Where this hurts us is the ability to release him. If he's released for performance reasons then all of that future signing bonus money accelerates and hits the cap for that league year. That's why converting salary to bonus greatly decreases future cap flexibility and it's a huge part of how Hurney fuged our cap up during his first tenure. 

I agree it is unlikely, but it did happen with Oher.  We still have dead money on Oher this year.  Maybe Gman learned a lesson with Oher's contract and built in a safeguard in case the same sort of thing happened again.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think changing 10 million dollars from an option to a guarantee could be considered beneficial to the player.

The player gets the same amount of $$ at the same time. Nothing changes. 

Making it harder to cut him after this year would fall into that category too.

Protecting the team from retirement/suspension evidently outweighs the dead money, whether you agree or not. Also, the only year the his cap level went up, is this year. Each following season, we get relief in the same amount that it originally increased, so I don't agree with you that it makes it.more difficult to cut him, but I know that gets in the way of you're daily hate tirades.

27 minutes ago, luke nukem said:

If I understand it correctly, this is not good for those of us that want to get rid of Kalil. It spreads out the 10M bonus over the 4 years of his contract rather than giving him 10M in salary for next season. So while it saves us cap space for this season, it means we are stuck with and won't cut him after next season. Now he has a 15m cap hit if cut before 2019 and and a 10m cap hit if cut before 2020.

We don't save any cap space this season.

16 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I agree it is unlikely, but it did happen with Oher.  We still have dead money on Oher this year.  Maybe Gman learned a lesson with Oher's contract and built in a safeguard in case the same sort of thing happened again.

Word was we could have cut him next year without too much damage.

This move makes that much more difficult.

41 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Salary isn't guaranteed. Signing bonus is. Yes, if Kalil is suspended or retires then he'll have to pay back the bonus money for the future years and it won't count against the cap. But what is the actual likelihood of that occurring? Probably slim to none. Where this hurts us is the ability to release him. If he's released for performance reasons then all of that future signing bonus money accelerates and hits the cap for that league year. That's why converting salary to bonus greatly decreases future cap flexibility and it's a huge part of how Hurney fuged our cap up during his first tenure. 

Considering Matt came here to play with Ryan (plus a big payday) and Ryan Is going to retire after the season or maybe even be cut. It would not surprise me one bit if Matt said fug it I am healthy and rich I don’t have the passion to play football anymore. 

17 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Considering Matt came here to play with Ryan (plus a big payday) and Ryan Is going to retire after the season or maybe even be cut. It would not surprise me one bit if Matt said fug it I am healthy and rich I don’t have the passion to play football anymore. 

this might actually be the key. Matt might choose to retire after next season

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Word was we could have cut him next year without too much damage.

This move makes that much more difficult.

I have posted on his contract far too many times on this forum, but you are correct.  We had an "out" after this season....and Hurney just slammed that door shut.

My wife and I were trying to come up with good name for a friend of ours who almost always looks out for the here and now....very little thought to the long game....Her new name shall be Marty.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd be shocked. He'd be walking away from $12.9M not to mention he'd have to repay all the signing bonus money that he was yet to earn.

Yeah. Retiring means walking out on a significant amount of money.

I'm not sure retiring at the same time as my brother would be worth that much.

Archived