• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does anyone else on here not give a F about college football?

Hotsauce

2 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Going to games on the Plains of Auburn, tailgating with my forever friends, great food, great drinks, great people, (usually) great weather, welcoming rival fans in town to stay and have a bite and/or a drink with us, followed by watching my Tigers play?

Can’t be beat.

Droves of RVs and campers start arriving on campus for Saturday Auburn games on the Wednesday before.  If you haven’t marked out and occupied space by early Friday afternoon, you may as well forget about tailgating on campus, cuz there ain’t none left.  College cheerleaders... dance squads... marching bands... the Iron Bowl (Auburn vs. Bama)... the Deep Souths Oldest Rivalry (Auburn vs. Georgia since 1892)... Tradition... Heisman Legends... 

Attempts at these things at the professional level, though they can be successful, are still imitations of the real thing.

With regard to athletic events, there’s nothing that fills the soul like going back to the alma mater and feeling like you’re back “home” with “family”.

If your own college or college experience didn’t or doesn’t provide that to you, then you have my pity and you have my condolences. 

You’re not wrong, you’re really not.  

However, on the flip side, the “older” one gets and realizes how young 18-22 year olds truly are, how inferior the game itself is to the pro game, and what a joke the term “student athlete” really is, it truly does become harder to invest significant time, emotion, and money.  Even Tommy Tubberville at Auburn said “school is #1, football is #2”, while simultaneously displaying a contradictory “2” and “1” with his hands.

Not that scandal isn’t as much a part of intercollegiate athletics as anything, but I truly believe the UNC academic fraud scandal, lack of punishment, and it’s long term effects, will be the death knell of college sports as we know them.

17 hours ago, Lumps said:

I tried to get into watching it but it’s just so amateur. I get that’s the appeal but it’s basically sloppy AF NFL. 

Now going to a game...that’s fun as hell. I wish NFL games had that kind of atmosphere.

Totes agree with this.  I love going to games, but watching them on the TVs is painful.

I have never understood the appeal, outside of your Alma Mater of course, in watching a college team with millions of dollars of financial backing and who could recruit the very top athletes from each state beating the hell out of the barely functional state-run school in a landslide victory of 66-3. Is it also fun to watch a 200 pound school bully hitting a 90 pound classmate?

No competition overall until you get to the bowl games, and it's 50/50 whether or not the teams match up well enough for an exciting game. Even then, most times, it's still often lopsided in the bowl placement. So, no.. college football is boring as hell to me. Never have been a huge fan, and when I happen to catch a game, it's because it's the school I went to.

I went to a school (UMass) that had a terrible football team, so I don't follow college ball. True story: The one game I attended at UMass was when they hosted Boston College, whose QB was Doug Flutie. If I remember correctly, BC won by about 50 points....

Being from Massachusetts originally, I never understood the idea that you root for a college that you or your family didn't go to. No one cared about BU or BC or wherever on Saturdays unless you were alumni. It's kind of weird to me TBH,  but everyone down south seems to pick a team and own it even though they've never even visited the campus.

Panthers are the pro football team in Charlotte. I live in Charlotte. We have a connection. UNC? My daughter in law went there so go Tarheels. My wifes family has several WF alumni so yay Deacs. Lots of friends like Clemson but would never ever move there LOL. Good enough?

Archived