• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Kalil $9.9 mil cap hit

CatMan72

Well you can extend him and then let him retire, which still frees up cap space. 

As a fan, all I care about is cap space. Whether he gets paid more or less last that to retire has nothing to do with my little bucket of cash, and it’s not my money to spend— JR money ha.

so if you want cap space from kalil, and you don’t want to cut him because we would suck without him at center this season,... then you extend him and cut that cap figure down.

21 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

He literally makes the offense a top potential 10 offense and without him the OL and Cam are lost and you clowns want to cut him. If he stays healthy he’s easily one of the 5 most valuable OL in the league. He’d be signed by the Pats the next day and they’d cut their center.

The problem is he hasn’t been healthy for awhile. Paying a guy almost 10m knowing his recent history is freaking insanity. And I guarantee you the Pats don’t give him anything close to 10m

24 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

He pretty much has Hurney by the short n curlies... Norwell is gone, Kalil sucks, no legit replacement at center right now. Only way I see Ryan being forced to restructure or cut is if we draft a center. 

Except the offense performed practically statistically identically with Larsen in Kalil's place.

I get both ends of the current discussion surrounding Kalil. It's a tough decision either way you look at it.

But it's perplexing seeing fans who supposedly watched this team struggle often to establish the run game in 2017 (after using a top 10 pick on a running back) just talking like it's so easy to replace an all pro center.

Moving on from Ryan Kalil might be as cut and dry of a move as some are making it out to be if we actually had a halfway consistent run game last year that didn't almost entirely revolve around, more often than not, using our QB as a battering ram. 754 rushing yards from your QB in the modern NFL is anything but the norm, and Panthers fans expecting more of that from a soon to be 29 year old Cam Newton while also somehow finishing the season healthy are just flat out delusional.

28 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I get both ends of the current discussion surrounding Kalil. It's a tough decision either way you look at it.

But it's perplexing seeing fans who supposedly watched this team struggle often to establish the run game in 2017 (after using a top 10 pick on a running back) just talking like it's so easy to replace an all pro center.

Moving on from Ryan Kalil might be as cut and dry of a move as some are making it out to be if we actually had a halfway consistent run game last year that didn't almost entirely revolve around, more often than not, using our QB as a battering ram. 754 rushing yards from your QB in the modern NFL is anything but the norm, and Panthers fans expecting more of that from a soon to be 29 year old Cam Newton while also somehow finishing the season healthy are just flat out delusional.

It's not really a question of replacing an All Pro center if he isn't actually an All Pro center anymore.

figuring out what we should do with kalil is not as cut and dry as his contract not being translated onto the field. but he is a longtime captain, and guys probably come up to him for leadership.

this is one of those tough, unpopular decisions that you have to make as a good GM. if only we had a GM that was able to do that sort of thing.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not really a question of replacing an All Pro center if he isn't actually an All Pro center anymore.

...and what is his value after being available to play only 14 times over the past two seasons vs. the value of the nearly 10 mil in cap space he's occupying? We're going to have to move on from Kalil after this season, is it worth paying him $10 mil for one more year or does it make sense to use those funds elsewhere and give the snaps to his eventual successor? 

I know what I would do, but that's just my opinion. 

4 hours ago, CatMan72 said:

Read this morning that Ryan has played only 14 games in the past 2 season and counts for $9.9 mil against our cap this year. It concerns me we haven't released him or forced him to restructure that contract heading into FA. I know he still has value and he said this was his last year, but this is exactly the kind of business decision Hurney must learn to make. I was encouraged by the release of Stewart, but this is discouraging. I would tell Ryan we love you, but we need to restructure this contract or your farewell tour will be in the uniform of some other team (similar to the way Gettleman handled Gross and Smitty, with a little more tact). 

I'm betting Hurney has a lot more access to information about Kalil's medical condition and ability to play than any of us have. He also knows whether we are targeting a center in the draft or not and has been probably told whether Turner needs Ryan to make his offense work or if he needs him to help transition his replacement.

You and I aren't privy to the updates and we also don't have access to the negotiations that could be happening now. Sure is fun to act like we do, but in the end, we're just all sitting around chatting on a message board while Hurney's out there doing the actual thing.

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm betting Hurney has a lot more access to information about Kalil's medical condition and ability to play than any of us have. He also knows whether we are targeting a center in the draft or not and has been probably told whether Turner needs Ryan to make his offense work or if he needs him to help transition his replacement.

You and I aren't privy to the updates and we also don't have access to the negotiations that could be happening now. Sure is fun to act like we do, but in the end, we're just all sitting around chatting on a message board while Hurney's out there doing the actual thing.

Kalil was still active for a couple of games last year even when he couldn't go and never played a snap.

That's the kind of thing that doesn't Inspire confidence in the people making the decisions.

5 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

figuring out what we should do with kalil is not as cut and dry as his contract not being translated onto the field. but he is a longtime captain, and guys probably come up to him for leadership.

this is one of those tough, unpopular decisions that you have to make as a good GM. if only we had a GM that was able to do that sort of thing.

This is the type of decision that franchises face all the time. The Steelers axed James Harrison mid-season. The Pats let go of respected vets all the time. Unfortunately these are just decisions that NFL teams have to make. Smart, well ran organizations make these moves and don't reward players for past performance at the expense of what's best for the team as a whole. I just cannot be convinced that Ryan Kalil is the best use of nearly $10M in cap space this coming season.

As has been said by Khyber53, if the anticipation is that Ryan is not 100% and will continue to have medical issues then moving on is the right decision. If on the other hand the coaches and medical staff know what the problem was and can reasonably be assured the problem is fixed and won't reoccur, then paying the money and keeping him makes a lot of sense. If we are keeping him I doubt it is for loyalty or past production given Hurney has already dumped KB and Stewart who were very popular players. He has already made some tough decisions and will continue to do so.

Archived