• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Day 2 is where we find out if Hurney has truly learned from his past

NanceUSMC

As the title says, Day 2 is where we find out whether or not Hurney has learned from his previous failures...  Unfortunately, we probably won't know it for a couple years, but let's look at his history some...

Round 1, he's generally been solid, drafting the likes of Peppers, Gamble, Gross, Davis, Williams, Beason, Stewart and Newton...  All should be considered 'hits' for him...  in fairness, he also shipped out future first rounders for immediate picks...  kicking the can down the road in hopes of 'winning now'...

Round 2, I can't even just list the failures by last name...  Most people won't even remember them if I do...  Bruce Nelson, Eric Shelton, Everette Brown, Sherrod Martin, Jimmy Clausen, Dwayne Jarrett, and the hideous trade to New England that ended up being the first pick in the 2nd for Armanti Edwards (ended up being us trading pick #33 for pick #89)...  

I'm not a Hurney fan (yet), but I AM a Hurney supporter...  So far I like what he's done this offseason, and love the DJ Moore pick...  But he always nails it in the first...  I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this way, but today I'm extremely excited at the talent still available right now, while at the same time I'm terrified at what we MIGHT do when our turn rolls around........

Right now I'm optimistic....  But if he trades up to pick some fullback from the University of Pheonix Online that nobody's ever heard of tonight, I intend to kidnap him and lock him in the 'Saw Room'...

I’m cautiously optimistic. There is so much talent still on the board that it would take the Cleveland Browns to screw this up.

Unfortunately Hurney has a history of doing Cleveland Browns moves. I like what he’s done so far and if he can get thru this draft w/o doing something stupid I’ll be onboard the USS Hurney

4 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

i hope he somehow gets lucky enough to bring in a longtime contributor at every pick for the sake of the future of this franchise and i still hope that the new owner fires him the first day he is in charge

And that's the only thing left to say about Hurney.

10 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I still laugh at how much credit GMs can get. Moore was a Norv pick through and through. I am upbeat about new Hurney because I like our visits and who’s still on the board. There’s a definite worry there because there’s 22 picks before us so guys we liked will be dropping like flies. These three picks could really cement this draft. There’s a lot of quality so I hope we do well. 

So when Hurney makes a pick you like it's someone else doing it. When he makes a bad pick it'll be all him. Got it you just hate Hurney and he can't win in your mind.

Hurney just can't reach for need in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. That has been his mistake. He needs to trust the scouts and the rankings they have produced up until this point and simply add BPA throughout. It may piss off the fans, the coaches, or even the players at first. But nobody wins the Superbowl on draft day. It's about what you get out of the next 3 to 5 years from a player.

Archived