• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2018 Carolina Panthers draft summary - Reasonable Expectations

Jeremy Igo

3. Rashaan Gaulden - S - As a third round safety the expecation here is a bit lower. I don't suspect he will contribute much right away, but should be by mid season as he comes up to speed. I just cannot bank on a converted nickel to safety playing much from the get go. If he does, great. But I am not getting my hopes up. Situational guy against two tight end sets would be my best guess early on. 

4a. Ian Thomas - TE - This is a developmental pick and should be treated as such. Next year I would love to see this guy get real playing time. This year I suspect his role will look a lot like Manhertz from last season. Very few reps unless injury occurs. If he can come in and really show an aptitude to pick up the offense, there is a chance he leapfrogs Manhertz right away. Fingers crossed. 

I see  them emerging like Trai Turner and elevate to elite level after few season.

Steal of the draft.

I don't get why you're saying that the Panthers ignored more glaring needs to take Jackson. Cornerback was arguably the most glaring need we had when he was drafted, and the nickel is just as important as any in the secondary, the way that teams are attacking in the passing game these days.

I am genuinely curious for all those who are complaining about rounds 1-4 who would you have selected instead? 

Rounds 5-7 are a crap shoot so claiming to address needs for the next season with those picks is just setting yourself up for failure 

2 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

The main thing that bothered me about this draft as that we missed out on the two most stacked positions in the class, RB and interior lineman.

Yeah, but CB was arguably the most stacked, and arguably our biggest need (especially after taking Moore in the first). I understand your point, but you can't reach for inferior players at other positions at the expense of others. That would be detrimental to your overall success. The quality of corners was top to bottom probably the best position in the class.

17 minutes ago, SOJA said:

I am genuinely curious for all those who are complaining about rounds 1-4 who would you have selected instead? 

Rounds 5-7 are a crap shoot so claiming to address needs for the next season with those picks is just setting yourself up for failure 

I would have went Oliver in the 2nd. I would have moved up in the third to get Reid. I hope this works out though

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hope so. Exceeding these expectations would be very welcome. I think this should be the baseline though. 

So basically when we needed 2 starters out of this draft, we are hoping to have a starting WR and a starting CB, 2 positions we supposedly addressed in free agency and trades already.

Fantastic. 

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

2018 Carolina Panthers draft summary

Reasonable expectations for the drafted rookies of 2018. 

4a. Ian Thomas - TE - This is a developmental pick and should be treated as such. Next year I would love to see this guy get real playing time. This year I suspect his role will look a lot like Manhertz from last season. Very few reps unless injury occurs. If he can come in and really show an aptitude to pick up the offense, there is a chance he leapfrogs Manhertz right away. Fingers crossed. 

I think Thomas has the opportunity to take Dickson's role on this team.  After all he only has to beat out Manhertz. What I like about him is he is a good blocking TE and has good hands (or video shows he does).  He can learn from Greg and develop into our #2 TE. 

2 hours ago, gmonjimbo said:

Not much they could do about that unless they packaged their two thirds or a combination of a 2nd and 3rd. There was a big run of RBs and G/C from the early to mid 2nd round. When Rashad Penny and Sony Michel were selected in the 1st round, our chances of finding an impact RB in 2nd or 3rd became slim. 

We skipped,.... the juice,.. will be mad for a long time

With our first 4 picks we picked a WR, CB, S and TE.  Those were 4 of the positions that most people wanted addressed, along with guard and RB.  Unless we wanted to trade down a good bit in the first we were never going to address 6 needs in the top 100 or so picks. 

I guess people would be a lot happier with a 6th round guard or RB, I'll admit I wanted us to draft one but in reality the chance of them turning into a better player than what we ended up  picking is low.  At that point in the draft you are just trying to find people who have a chance of contributing.

Back to our top 4 picks it wasn't so much which positions we picked but who.  Down the road the argument will be:

Moore or Ridley

Jackson or Oliver

Gaulden or Harrison, Moore, or White

Thomas > I think most people thought he was the best TE pick at that point

If we would have drafted Moore, Oliver, Harrison, Thomas this place would be ecstatic.

1 hour ago, Camp Fodder said:

I would have went Oliver in the 2nd. I would have moved up in the third to get Reid. I hope this works out though

Fair I can see the Oliver point, but he reminds me so much of Bradberry I think we were trying to do something different. 

The Reid point is interesting. Part of the problem with Gettleman's strategy of always moving up in the mid rounds is it left the Panthers with a dirth of talent and bodies behind the starters. I think Marty was consciously trying to avoid losing too many picks. 

I agree I would rather have Reid than Gaulden in a vacuum. The draft capital doesn't really match up though. Reid's draft selection value was 250 while our pick 85 was 150. So unless you overpaid with giving up number 88 too there was no way we could have done it without sacrificing future picks. 

Archived