• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lost in The Shuffle the Day 3 LB Duo (Carter Jr. / Smith)

SetfreexX

Jermaine Carter Jr. & Andre Smith both seem to be fairly fast and athletic linebackers, (4.69 - Carter Jr. / 4.63 - Smith) 40 times respectively. When you stop to consider the depth behind our starters:

Kuechly / Davis / Thompson

and you see the likes of ...

Mayo / Norris / Gachkar / Jacobs

Then beyond that you consider that Davis is out the first 4 games serving a suspension these picks begin to make a little more sense. I personally have no issue with these two rookies replacing the current 6th and 7th linebackers on our roster.

After doing some research both seem like capable tacklers, and Smith specifically seemed to consistently stuff, and drive ball carriers backwards, or at the least for no gain once he made contact, he really comes across like a ''thumper'' something we need to continue to have at the linebacker position. 

In all honesty it's been a couple seasons since we invested picks at the position and I'm interested to see how these two play as we move further along in the off-season. 

Need to start thinking about kuechly replacement soon. Bottom of the roster guys won’t cut it. 

Many times I get the feeling people are really comfortable at LB, but Davis is old- getting injured is increasingly becoming a risk that needs to be considered. Luuuuke is concussion prone and plays a violent position. We stand a huge chance of seeing 2 of our 3 starters out from the LB position 

what happens then? Who is really capable of filling in for our legendary LB core? 

I am biased because I went to UNC, but I personally feel like I have a good handle on UNC players and if they will be good NFL players. 

I knew that Searcy would make a serviceable NFL safety, though that Quinn was going to be a beast (for awhile he was) and was desperately hoping that we wouldn't take Coples. I was somewhat right on Gio in that I thought he was a beast. He is in short bursts. 

I haven't always been right. I thought Kendric Burney would be better than he was, but I still attribute that to the fact that he didn't really love football. His true love was baseball. I was wrong about TJ Yates, thought he was destined to flame out, and he has really stuck around.

Anyways take the following with a grain of salt, but I actually really like the Andre Smith pick. I hate that we took the other guy first because then I would be ecstatic with it. Outside of MJ Stewart, the Carolina defense has been abysmal the last few years. Despite that Smith has really shined. Before getting hurt this season he was destroying it, granted it was only two games. 

I don't like drafting two LBs, but Smith in the 6th round was great value and could end up being a steal of the draft. I think we got another steal in the 7th. 

Well, I'm ok with it because we need some LB depth and if there's something that I feel confident that Hurney can scout it's LB.  In his first tenure here he drafted Will Witherspoon, James Anderson, Jon Beason, and of course Luke Kuechly.  I don't know if either of these guys are gonna be good, but I trust him drafting that position more than most others.

Smith was supposed to be really good last year.  Surprised he got drafted honestly, but if he can get back to 100% he's a steal.  Would've been a 4th or 5th round guy if he played and had the season people expected him to have.  Carter is another pick similar to gaulden.  Best defender on his team.  Leader.  Willing to do anything for the team.  Kind of a poor mans Jeremy cash but already the size of an NFL LB.  That doesn't say much about his chances to make the team, but his effort in camp should prove meaningful.  I'm pulling for both of these guys, but it's a long shot for either or both to crack the 53.  PS squad for one of them at best.

Luke is 26.  Urlacher played until he was 34, Lewis was 36 or 37.  Both of those guys missed games along the way and neither was as careful as the Panthers are (the current NFL environment has changed also).  We're not talking about blowing knees out here, we're talking about erring on the side of caution where concussions are concerned.  Ten years ago Luke would have been back from the games he was knocked out of the very next week.  

I don't see us needing a replacement any time soon.  Mayo also has played well for us in short stretches in the middle, so we even have our backup. 

Jacobs, Gachkar, Norris.

Carter and Smith are better than those guys. I don’t see how anyone who has ever watched football can’t see that. I don’t give a poo if they were UDFA. Smith was the best defender for UNC in 2016. Carter is a leader and a tackling machine.

Archived