• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Potential cuts that may have some trade value

panther4life

Every year around this time teams league wide make trades for players they make not think it will make it to them on the waiver wire if cut.

Sometimes its a swap of these types of players and other times its for a late round pick.

Just last year we made a trade of this nature ourselves around this time last year. We sent the Bills Kaelin Clay and our 2019 7th for Kevin Seymour. We also floated to kickers on the roster in hopes of being able to squeeze some trade value out of one of them as well. 

Heres a few more examples

• 2016, traded a 4th and punter Kasey Redfern for Andy Lee and a 7th round pick (Palardy was cut earlier that year in favor of Redfern)
  • 2015 traded a 6th or 7th pick for Kevin Norwood
  • 2014 traded Barner to the eagles for a 7th round pick
  • 2012 traded 7th for Colin Jones

To me I would think the following players could be potential trade bait. Ones that wouldn't kill us to part with but would still add value to another team.

• Damiere Byrd (Would not take a late round pick for him, would need to be a player for player trade, CB position seems most likely)
  • Daeshon Hall 
  • Cameron Artis-Payne

CAP - a 5th round draft pick, 28 years old with 400 career yards . . . I don't know one team who would give a 7th for him.

Daeshon - 3rd rounder who has shown nothing, his fault or not.  Nobody will give crap for him.

Byrd - a UDFA with 121 career yards.  Don't care how fast he is . . . no one will give anything for him.

I know we'd all love to get something for nothing, but reality is none of these guys are worth anything TO ANOTHER TEAM.  Perhaps they have value to us, perhaps not, but bubble players are typically not trade bait.

1 hour ago, panther4life said:

Every year around this time teams league wide make trades for players they make not think it will make it to them on the waiver wire if cut.

Sometimes its a swap of these types of players and other times its for a late round pick.

Just last year we made a trade of this nature ourselves around this time last year. We sent the Bills Kaelin Clay and our 2019 7th for Kevin Seymour. We also floated to kickers on the roster in hopes of being able to squeeze some trade value out of one of them as well. 

Heres a few more examples

• 2016, traded a 4th and punter Kasey Redfern for Andy Lee and a 7th round pick (Palardy was cut earlier that year in favor of Redfern)
  • 2015 traded a 6th or 7th pick for Kevin Norwood
  • 2014 traded Barner to the eagles for a 7th round pick
  • 2012 traded 7th for Colin Jones

To me I would think the following players could be potential trade bait. Ones that wouldn't kill us to part with but would still add value to another team.

• Damiere Byrd (Would not take a late round pick for him, would need to be a player for player trade, CB position seems most likely)
  • Daeshon Hall 
  • Cameron Artis-Payne

That Colin Jones trade was one of Huney's greatest hits. Also, Marty traded a 7th for JJ Jansen 

Torrey Smith to Jax for a 4th

Jaguars lost Robinson and Hurns this offseason.  And just lost Lee for the year.

They have Moncrief who has been about as injured prone as Ryan kalil the last 2 seasons.  And 2 Raw speedster in Westbrook and Chark who havnt showed anything yet.

Smith could come in and be their #1 (he is about our 4th best WR currently).  And a Vet which they dont have.

Funchess trade... he’s getting paid in the Uber inflated WR market next year... so I could see him as trade bait for a OT with like Jax or someone,.. or a 2nd rounder. He’s been healthy and he produces solid. 

Wont happen— people would lose it,.. but he’s worth double the 3 mentioned. No one wants to trade for a CAP or a Byrd,.. and definitely not for Hall,..

Teams also track all rosters and see whether we have the space to keep a player. 

They might trade only if they are on the bottom of the waiver claim.process. If they see that type of player is going to get picked up before their waiver position comes they might trade.

Other than Smith, I don't see a player they would trade for. Mosts teams will take the chance on us waiving them.

6 hours ago, ncfan said:

Torrey Smith to Jax for a 4th

Jaguars lost Robinson and Hurns this offseason.  And just lost Lee for the year.

They have Moncrief who has been about as injured prone as Ryan kalil the last 2 seasons.  And 2 Raw speedster in Westbrook and Chark who havnt showed anything yet.

Smith could come in and be their #1 (he is about our 4th best WR currently).  And a Vet which they dont have.

Interesting thought but Jags have excellent WR depth. Don't see it 

I’d love to ship off Torrey. We haven’t seen much value from him other than vet leadership and SB experience.  From what I can tell Cam doesn’t have the chemistry with him that he does the other, younger guys. I doubt he is a Panther for more than 1-2 season anyway (don’t know his contract situation)

Archived