• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

53-Man Roster -- My Thoughts / Prediction

SetfreexX

There's been a lot of noise surrounding the team and final roster projections, offensive line depth (due to injury), linebacker depth (due to suspension), and even receiver depth (can we keep the top 6). Well here is my Final 53, based on my experience as a Panther fan the last decade and then some. 

Quarterback-2

Cam Newton / Taylor Heinicke - Gilbert to PS

I think Gilbert has a chance 'if eligible' for the PS, I didn't see enough in the pre-season that made me think he'd get snatched up considering most teams have their developmental PS QB. 

Halfback-3

Christian McCaffrey / CJ Anderson / Kenjon Barner -- I like Hood to PS as the emergency 4th HB, (maybe Bonnafon if there's room)

I know it seems like an oddity but for years we've heard Rivera say we need to get CAP more touches, even before McCaffrey's arrival; and yet year in and year out we barely see CAP hit the field outside of injury. With the addition of CJ Anderson to spell CMC, and Hood having younger fresher legs and traditional size (5'11, 230) I think this is the year we let CAP walk as he's already (28 years old heading into his 5th season)

Fullback-1

Alex Armah

Enough said. 

Wide Receiver-6

Devin Funchess / Torrey Smith / Jarius Wright / Curtis Samuel / DJ Moore / Damiere Byrd

I just don't think we let any of these guys go, looking at how the receiver group was ravaged by injury I don't see us releasing any quality talent, and looking deeper I think you keep all six as you prepare for the likely exit of Torrey Smith next season. Also Byrd is simply the best returner we have, and I don't see them exposing -- CMC, Samuel, or Moore to ST's due to injury risk

Tight End-3

Greg Olsen / Ian Thomas / Chris Manhertz-

I don't believe we'll see a lot of two tight end sets early which is why i think they will let Manhertz take his time returning as the 3rd TE. The other young guys outside of Ian Thomas I haven't shown anything in pre-season that makes me believe that spot is in jeopardy. Also with the infusion of receiver talent I see more 11 personnel with lighter boxes to run versus as we look ahead.  

Offensive Line-10

Matt Kalil*/ Amini Silatolu* / Ryan Kalil / Trai Turner / Daryl Williams* - Greg Van Roten / Taylor Moton / Tyler Larsen / Blaine Clauswell / Brandon Mahon - Adam Bisnowaty to PS 

I know, I feel the same way Amini Silatolu is still here, I'm just as perplexed as you guys. He was a 2nd round pick by Marty a few years ago, and for some odd reason a Rivera favorite in the OL group. I don't think the Panthers will IR designate Williams to return as I think they're hopeful he returns before mid-season, say the game after the early by for example. I'd love to see a veteran signing, or surprise cut come in and replace Amini however. 

Offense Total - 25

Defensive End-5

Julius Peppers / Mario Addison / Wes Horton / Daeshon Hall / Marquis Haynes - Efe Obada & Bryan Cox Jr to the PS

I think this is the group we roll with, it's a good mix of experience, speed, and youth, I'm looking forward to seeing what Haynes can do as a primary speed rusher opposite Addison, with Peppers and Short inside in the obvious pass downs. 

Defensive Tackle-4

Kawaan Short / Dontari Poe / Kyle Love / Vernon Butler - Kendrick Norton to PS

This was always the four in my opinion even after the draft. 

Linebacker-6

Luke Luechly / Thomas Davis** / Shaq Thompson / David Mayo / Jermaine Carter Jr. / Andre Smith / Jared Norris

I can't see Ben Jacobs over the potential of the most recent draft picks. 

Cornerback-5

James Bradberry / Donte' Jackson / Captain Munnerlyn / Kevon Seymour / Corn Elder -- Lorenzo Doss / Ladarius Gunter to the PS

Cole Luke has been a name I haven't heard all pre-season, and looking at the top of the list aside from Bradberry, Seymour is the only other defensive back six feet tall; yeah he had a bad debut vs Buffalo but overall last season he played well enough to warrant a spot this year with another year of experience. If Cockrell wasn't on the shelf I'd see Elder looking at the PS. River and the staff seem married to Munnerlyn for at least one more season.

Safety-4

Mike Adams / Rashaan Gaulden / Colin Jones / Da'Norris Searcy - Dezmin Southward & Demetrious Cox to the PS

I just don't see the team adding more inexperience to the safety group, I think they feel comfortable with the veterans of Adams, and Searcy essentially being interchangeable, and I think Gaulden has won the starting position next to Adams. Jones has proven to be a special teams stalwart and forcing that fumble last week was enough to convince anyone else on the edge about his contributions for 2018 as a versatile back up. 

Total Defense-25

Special Teams-3

Graham Gano / Mike Palardy / J.J. Jansen

Good work, mostly agree with you, except on these.

I don’t think Mahon makes the team this year, especially not ahead of Sirles.

Dashon Hall does have a shot because we’ve got him under a rookie deal for 3 more years, important since Pep is likely retiring and Horton is a free agent next year. That being said Cox Jr, Haynes have both earned the final 2 spots at DE.

Otherwise I’m prettt much on board with everything else you’ve got. 

37 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

DE-5 + DT-4 + LB-6 + CB-5 + S-4 = 24 or am I missing something?  Davis doesn't count does he?

Good, because I don't want Hall or Cox Jr. on the PS. Either could easily get poached.

Edit: "He’s got 7 LB’s listed, including Davis."

Why is everyone so big on Hall?  He showed nothing last preseason or this preseason.  He doesn't cost anything to cut.  Cox, Haynes and even Obada have outplayed him.  I don't care where he was drafted he has not shown anything worth keeping.  So why does everyone want him around so bad?

34 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Quarterback-2

Cam Newton / Taylor Heinicke - Gilbert to PS

Agree - If Gilbert isn't PS eligible, I think we keep Kyle Allen as a safety net.

Halfback-3

Christian McCaffrey / CJ Anderson / Kenjon Barner -- I like Hood to PS as the emergency 4th HB, (maybe Bonnafon if there's room)

I like Hood, he runs tough, and could possibly fill in at FB if needed. 

Fullback-1

Alex Armah

Hell Yeah!

Wide Receiver-6

Devin Funchess / Torrey Smith / Jarius Wright / Curtis Samuel / DJ Moore / Damiere Byrd

I just don't think we let any of these guys go, looking at how the receiver group was ravaged by injury I don't see us releasing any quality talent, and looking deeper I think you keep all six as you prepare for the likely exit of Torrey Smith next season. Also Byrd is simply the best returner we have, and I don't see them exposing -- CMC, Samuel, or Moore to ST's due to injury risk

Agree 100%.

Tight End-2

Greg Olsen / Ian Thomas / Chris Manhertz- Vander Laan to PS

I cut Manhertz, although I'm not sure if he's PS eligible - he only played in 4 games his rookie year 2016. I think he is. I'm also fuzzy on PUP rules, but the bottom line is that he has not impressed me much in 2 years, and Thomas looks really good. I think Vanderlaan or Armah can back up.

Offensive Line-10

Matt Kalil*/ Amini Silatolu* / Ryan Kalil / Trai Turner / Daryl Williams* - Greg Van Roten / Taylor Moton / Tyler Larsen / Blaine Clausell / Brandon Mahon - Adam Bisnowaty to PS 

I cut Silatolu until I need him. I doubt anyone else picks up an injured, not very good Guard. I keep Sirles unless his injury is very bad. I also try to bring Bisnowaty/FA in as soon as I can since Clausell and Moton are our only 2 healthy OT's.

Offense Total - 25 24

Defensive End-5  6

Julius Peppers / Mario Addison / Wes Horton / Daeshon Hall / Marquis Haynes - Efe Obada & Bryan Cox Jr to the PS

Obada gets the "special" PS, and I don't risk letting Cox Jr. hit Waivers. I agree that Hall hasn't stood out much in preseason, but I still like his potential. Our DE starters are not young.

Defensive Tackle-4

Kawaan Short / Dontari Poe / Kyle Love / Vernon Butler - Kendrick Norton to PS

Yep, Also Sprinkle has a shot at PS.

Linebacker-6

Luke Luechly / Thomas Davis** / Shaq Thompson / David Mayo / Jermaine Carter Jr. / Andre Smith / Jared Norris

I have Smith on my PS, but he could make the cut, at least until TD comes back.

Cornerback-5

James Bradberry / Donte' Jackson / Captain Munnerlyn / Kevon Seymour / Corn Elder -- Lorenzo Doss / Ladarius Gunter to the PS

I have your same 5, but think that Doss fights his way on the team. I also (recently) added Carter to PS over Gunter.

Safety-4

Mike Adams / Rashaan Gaulden / Colin Jones / Da'Norris Searcy - Dezmin Southward & Demetrious Cox to the PS

Agree. 

Total Defense-25 26

Special Teams-3

Graham Gano / Mike Palardy / J.J. Jansen

My 2 cents.

8 minutes ago, bababoey said:

Why is everyone so big on Hall?  He showed nothing last preseason or this preseason.  He doesn't cost anything to cut.  Cox, Haynes and even Obada have outplayed him.  I don't care where he was drafted he has not shown anything worth keeping.  So why does everyone want him around so bad?

I personally think that he has a lot of potential. He may not be flashy, but he doesn't have to be. I just want to make sure he gets a fair chance to develop before parting ways with him. DE's often need a few seasons to get NFL-caliber good. I would prefer to keep him, Cox, and Haynes. 

Just an update about Manhertz and the PUP rules, pretty sure we could keep him on the PUP for 6 weeks to start the season and he wouldn't count toward the 53 at any point. Only players who started camp on PUP are eligible for the regular season PUP. After 6 weeks there's something like a 10 day practice period. After that the team has to sign to 53 or IR for the season.

(It's different with short term IR. For that, players must first make the 53 then be sent to IR, so they count towards the 53 for 24 hours).

So we get 6 weeks to let Manhertz recover, let the dust settle on the roster. Hopefully the Oline situation will have stabilized, then can decide if we need him.  

I will be really annoyed if we activate Manhertz prior to Saturday and put him on the initial 53 when roster spaces are so extremely tight this year due to OL mess. 

Manhertz on PUP to me seems like a great way to free up an extra roster spot on offense for a few weeks while we figure out the OL... and maybe we find someone better in the meantime!

Archived