• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Room: How Eric Reid Helps the Panthers

Saca312

So, yes. We signed the best safety on the free agent market, and it's not even close. He's arguably one of the better safeties in the league and probably will be our best safety in a long while. Honestly, as I myself think Mike Adams has been playing at a high level no matter how many of you knock on his speed, this may be one of our best safety duos in a long time.

Anyhow, I came across a solid article that broke down how Eric Reid will specifically help us. As for whether he'd be a SS or a FS for us, that doesn't really matter. Reminder this defense relies on the flexibility and interchangeability of our safeties and doesn't exactly have a pure SS/FS designation. So that for all it's worth doesn't matter.

Going back on topic, here's a breakdown of Eric Reid's game and just why he's considered one of the better safeties in the league.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/9/27/17910252/eric-reid-signing-helps-panthers-secondary-nfc-south-division

During his five seasons with the 49ers, Reid played all over the defense. He played deep in the middle of the field as a free safety, close to the line of scrimmage as a box safety, defended the slot, and played linebacker last season after injuries forced into that spot.

One thing that pops out is Reid's versatility. He's able to be a FS, SS, slot, or even a LBer. In a defense where Rivera has commented he wants to see far more versatility and speed, Eric Reid is a no-brainer. I'm sure Eric Washington is drooling at thinking of ways to maximize the strengths of him as a player. 

What exactly are his biggest strengths? Well, continuing on...

The Atlanta Falcons and the New Orleans Saints both have daunting running back duos that excel at making plays in space.

Adding a player like Reid will help Carolina defend against these dynamic backs. Reid’s speed and awareness is something that the Panthers hadn’t been getting from their safeties, even before Searcy got hurt.

Here, Reid is at the weakside linebacker spot. The Bears are running a slow screen where the running back fakes a pass protection look before slipping outside the tackle box to catch the ball. As soon as Jordan Howard breaks towards where he needs to be to catch the ball, Reid plants his foot in the ground and drives towards Howard. Reid beats the center in space and brings down Howard for a loss.

reidepa2.jpg

Combining this type of playmaking with Luke Kuechly, Shaq Thompson, and Thomas Davis when he gets back from suspension will make the Panthers’ middle of the field coverage lethal.

What the Panthers defense has honestly had issues with is simple silly mistakes on run defense. While Rivera argued that Matt Ryan's play-action fakes hurt the defense overall, I truly think it's just in general we need a few upgrades on that field. Shaq Thompson hasn't exactly lived up to the hype he had from game 1 with a few mistakes of his own, and Luke can't do everything. Of course, getting Thomas Davis back will help indefinitely, but adding Reid to the mix will be fantastic.

Now, Mike Adams has been solid in run support and great overall. However, Eric Reid is a younger and faster guy we can use out there to shut things down in the case Mike Adams has a disadvantageous match-up against some of these physical freaks in the NFC South.

This is great. Now, even more...

The NFC South has a handful of talented tight ends outside of Carolina. O.J. Howard, Cameron Brate, Austin Hooper, and Benjamin Watson are all formidable passing targets — the Panthers needed someone who can play these bigger bodies at critical points on the field.

Reid is matched up against Jermaine Gresham in the red zone on this play. Gresham is running a route up the seam right toward Reid so he has a chance to box him out at the catch point and bring in the ball for a touchdown. Reid plays this ball perfectly — he times the jump, positions himself next to Gresham, and outmuscles him for the interception in the end zone.

reidepa1.jpg

This is also a need we have. Shaq Thompson in particular has gotten beat a few times by tight ends and boy seeing Colin Jones out there is a nightmare. Eric Reid provides the coverage and support needed to ensure such travesty doesn't happen. He's an instant upgrade in that area and does a fine job keeping up with his assignments.

So yes, I highly enjoy this addition to our secondary.

I have steadfastly defended Shaq throughout his career, but he has had a prime chance to shine during TD's suspension and he's done absolutely nothing to show that TD shouldn't step right back into his usual role upon his return. If he doesn't improve a lot, ik all for rescinding his 5th year option and honoring TD's desire to keep playing behind this season. Shaq isn't worth the near $10M he's scheduled to make next season. Not even close to it.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I have steadfastly defended Shaq throughout his career, but he has had a prime chance to shine during TD's suspension and he's done absolutely nothing to show that TD shouldn't step right back into his usual role upon his return. If he doesn't improve a lot, ik all for rescinding his 5th year option and honoring TD's desire to keep playing behind this season. Shaq isn't worth the near $10M he's scheduled to make next season. Not even close to it.

Yeah Shaq would definitely be another 1st round bust hidden by TD. His up sides were supposed to be is coverage ability and combined with tackling. I'm not convinced from what I've seen. 

On 9/27/2018 at 4:46 PM, Saca312 said:

We signed the best safety on the free agent market,

So if the above is true (and I think it is) my question is this: Since Eric Reid has been available for some time now, why did Rivera prefer Da'norris Searcy and Rashaan Gaulden to start the season?

Just now, tiger7_88 said:

So if the above is true (and I think it is) my question is this: Since Eric Reid has been available for some time now, why did Rivera prefer Da'norris Searcy and Rashaan Gaulden to start the season?

That’s a question I don’t even know. Searcy was bad, and Gaulden’s more raw than a piece of steak.

17 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

The same obvious reason that every other team in need of a safety was reluctant to sign him. The Saints preferred Coleman. The Cardinals preferred Tre Boston. There were 27 FA safety signings before Reid.

The team transferred from one owner to a another with a completely different approach. Have you been under a rock?

Archived