• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What's up with Luke?

Ricky Spanish

38 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I was at the game yesterday and I couldn't tell you if Luke even recorded a tackle. Not once did I hear the crowd yell out "LUUUUUUUUUKE". His play, to me at least, has been a significant step down from what it has been in the past so far this year. Is it Washington? Has Luke lost a step? Is it TD being out? Am I taking crazy pills and it's all in my head?

Anyone else notice this or am I alone in my concern?

He has a lingering injury. Nuff said.

My thoughts

washington is still getting his lega under him and used to DC role.  He hasn’t been near as plug and play as the last few years and seems afraid to blitz much.  This will hopefully clean up

The giants were holding so much that they would have been charged with kidnapping if they were on the street

mayo is a servicable backup, and shaq is athetic as hell, but neither have impressed me.  Once again shaq was given time to shine with TD out and showed nothing.  I dont think he is our going forward option at LB

38 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I just checked his stats last game. 

3 total tackles and credited with the lone sack of Eli which was him giving himself up after someone else tripped him up. 

Yesterday was not the kind of game we are accustomed to from Luke. 

He's had several games like this, ATL game was a rough day for Luke. 

If you look at the film, it's not TD's absence. It's hard to tell if it's Washington being a downgrade too. I'll tell you one thing that DOES stand out is that Luke is getting blocked by offensive linemen WAY sooner and more often than in years past. That's all on Poe. Poe hasn't done a damn thing this year. People wanna say he's not getting stats because he's supposed to be a fat guy just clogging things up, but just look at how he plays. He's getting manhandled more often than not, which means Luke doesn't have free reign like he used to. In fact, I'd say Dontari Poe is the #1 reason why the defense has struggled post-Dallas: he's sucked. (He's getting held a TOOOON too, but that still has the same effect of Luke being less effective.)

I do find it funny that there's no thread about how bad Cam was. Cam's two picks were the equivalent of Luke getting trucked and ran over twice on two touchdowns: something that would have caused DOZENS of threads about how Luke was the #1 reason why we needed a 63 yard field goal to win. I'm not saying Cam deserves a ton of hate today, just that people like to criticize Luke to be edgy or different.

3 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

I do find it funny that there's no thread about how bad Cam was. Cam's two picks were the equivalent of Luke getting trucked and ran over twice on two touchdowns: something that would have caused DOZENS of threads about how Luke was the #1 reason why we needed a 63 yard field goal to win. I'm not saying Cam deserves a ton of hate today, just that people like to criticize Luke to be edgy or different.

You’ve got to be fuging kidding me

4 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

You’ve got to be fuging kidding me

Nope. They were both back breakers and the worst passes thrown by Cam since 2016. We've all come to accept that that's part of the Cam Newton Experience so they're not that interesting anymore unlike seeing Luke with very ordinary numbers on the stat sheet, but Cam would have deserved more blame for the loss yesterday than anyone other than Rivera and Norv if it had actually been a loss. But hey, it was a win and Cam did have some fantastic runs and an all-time block, so it's ultimately not a big deal. 

1 hour ago, 4Corners said:

New DC is garbage 

It's the Shula situation all over again, only on the other said. Getting hired "from within" for the sole reason of familiarity instead of going out and getting a proven DC. Washington is bad. Rivera is no better.

21 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

If you look at the film, it's not TD's absence. It's hard to tell if it's Washington being a downgrade too. I'll tell you one thing that DOES stand out is that Luke is getting blocked by offensive linemen WAY sooner and more often than in years past. That's all on Poe. Poe hasn't done a damn thing this year. People wanna say he's not getting stats because he's supposed to be a fat guy just clogging things up, but just look at how he plays. He's getting manhandled more often than not, which means Luke doesn't have free reign like he used to. In fact, I'd say Dontari Poe is the #1 reason why the defense has struggled post-Dallas: he's sucked. (He's getting held a TOOOON too, but that still has the same effect of Luke being less effective.)

I didn't even think about Poe. As soon as Star came in we had an anchor that would let Luke go crazy. If someone has All-22, can they take a look at Poe specifically and identify if he is in fact the weakest link on the line, which is in turn causing Luke to face more O-lineman than in year's past?

I'd say our front four have taken a step back along with Washington being questionable with play calling.   We need Poe, KK, and Vern to step up and eat those guards so Luke can stay clean.  Not a big fan of the red zone playcalling    Example:  Efe covering their best player in the red zone.    Once TD returns I think we clean up a lot of the mid zone mistakes.  

None of it matters if we don't get a pass rush going.   We are going to face much better offenses

20 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

People criticize Cam plenty. Hell, I did it in another thread and theRed pulled the race card immediately. 

23 minutes ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

There was. You missed it. 

Archived