• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I hate this stat(lowest in league in deep pass attempts)

panther4life

I am beginning to think it is an issue. However, I did not realize it was this bad statistically. I know it was mentioned before the season started that Cam's deep throws have never really been the same since the shoulder surgery (it might have been Voth). Perhaps this all by design; however, I am beginning to think the design is being partially driven by factors other than design.

It's a quandary though because he's also having his most efficient year, throwing for touchdowns, and making big plays even if it doesn't look as cool.

Plus we have some serious YAC guys on the team - CMC and Moore alone have taken away a lot of potential deep shots by chewing up yards between the twenties.

I'm not too worried

Torrey Smith is not the guy to take the top off the defense. He may still have some juice left, but the DBs covering him are just as fast.

The fastest offensive guys on the Carolina roster are Samuel, Moore, CMC and Funchess. 2 of those 4 are not starting. And in this age of football when defensive players cannot so much as breathe on a WR, sometimes you have to take those shots and, if nothing else, maybe get a PI, D-holding or illegal contact call.

Anyone wondering why our O-line has been looking good?  Remember when we had actual linemen who werent bagging groceries last year and ALL of our routes were 40 yards down the field and our line couldn't hold up long enough to let cam get rid of the ball?  I too want us to run more deep stuff, but in context you've got to understand that the reason I think Turner is keeping it short is due to lack of belief in his O-line.  I think as he gains trust in them, you'll see deeper passes.

Really got to wonder if it's the shoulder. Was thinking that with the wide open play to Wright that didn't happen. Even if we don't take a shot, it becomes predictable. Defenses will press and play short zone and cover the field.

Could it be something with the shoulder injury? Cam hasn't seemed to throw many deep balls since the end of 2016. Does it have to do with not having a burner like Ted Ginn anymore? But they have Samuel, Moore, Byrd. Maybe the O-Line? Could be...Cam doesn't often have enough time in the pocket to let the receivers get deep. Otherwise I'm not sure why, doesn't really make sense since it's been a huge part of his game for most of his career.

22 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

It's a quandary though because he's also having his most efficient year, throwing for touchdowns, and making big plays even if it doesn't look as cool.

Plus we have some serious YAC guys on the team - CMC and Moore alone have taken away a lot of potential deep shots by chewing up yards between the twenties.

I'm not too worried

I think the biggest problem is that defenses are starting to not bother trying to defend deep against us and are stacking the box and being prepared for the short stuff... The Giants loaded up to stop McC and our run game and we didn't really do a good job at all of taking advantage of down the field being open...

6 minutes ago, t96 said:

I think the biggest problem is that defenses are starting to not bother trying to defend deep against us and are stacking the box and being prepared for the short stuff... The Giants loaded up to stop McC and our run game and we didn't really do a good job at all of taking advantage of down the field being open...

I also think maybe smith tends to be our deep option and smith tends to suck. Hopefully Moore and Samuel gradually acquire his snaps and we start seeing things open up downrange

Attempts don't bother me.  Completion % does.

The Saints are number 5.  Think anyone is going to say that they should stack the box against the Saints and ignore the long ball?  They have a much higher completion percentage.  

You don't have to throw the long ball often to make people defend it.  You just have to hurt people when you do.  We aren't hurting people when we do throw the long ball.

Archived