• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

You all are really overestimating the chances Ron is gone

MVPccaffrey

Team is likely going to finish 8-8 or 9-7.  

Too many of you are prisoners of the moment.  Coaches don't get fired after going 11-5 one year and then putting up a .500 or better record the next.  It just doesn't happen outside of rare circumstances.  Fox out of Denver was the only one I can think of recently, and that had a whole host of extenuating circumstances tied up in that.

Much more likely that Hurney is let go, and a months long GM search is conducted with Ron left in place to steer the ship, and then if he doesn't perform up to expectations in 2019, the new GM can then easily let him go and find his own man.

Yup and Tepper believes in the Steelers model of patience. Could see Hurney gone first, new GM gets to evaluate Rivera and decide if he wants to go in a new direction. I could see the new GM insisting on a hand in asst.coaching decisions after this debacle.

Ron is what, 23-7, 23-8 in the months of December?  This team isn't going to roll over and lose out; have some perspective.

Tepper isn't posting "Fire Ron!!!!" in the game threads like a bunch of you here and living and dying with every play.  Just like Saints owner didn't let Payton go after three straight 7-9 seasons, Tepper isn't gonna judge Rivera based off a quarter season stretch of close losses.

3 minutes ago, CatMan72 said:

Yup and Tepper believes in the Steelers model of patience. Could see Hurney gone first, new GM gets to evaluate Rivera and decide if he wants to go in a new direction. I could see the new GM insisting on a hand in asst.coaching decisions after this debacle.

That's the right way to go.  Firing the coaching staff the same year the GM is fired would put the Panthers way behind in a coaching search because there'd be presumably an even longer GM search conducted beforehand. 

16 minutes ago, Camvp said:

Ron is what, 23-7, 23-8 in the months of December?  This team isn't going to roll over and lose out; have some perspective.

Tepper isn't posting "Fire Ron!!!!" in the game threads like a bunch of you here and living and dying with every play.  Just like Saints owner didn't let Payton go after three straight 7-9 seasons, Tepper isn't gonna judge Rivera based off a quarter season stretch of close losses.

I see homerism in play and denial. With that schedule, yeah it's going to happen. We may get one. Really depends on who hates this year more us or Atlanta. Personally unless i know we're winning out and making playoffs, i'd rather have that top 10 draft pick to get a player who is the best at that position

It's not just this year's record. It's the fact that he's never put together back to back winning seasons. It's the fact that our division has figured him out. Both the Saints and Falcons have owned us since 2015. If you can't compete in your division you're left with trying to fight for a wildcard spot every year and no home playoff games. It's the fact that Tepper made it known how important that Steelers game was to him and we go up there and suffer one of the most embarrassing blowout losses we've ever had. It's the fact that Ron's teams have always improved down the stretch in seasons and this year we're falling apart. It's the fact that we have a roster full of young offensive skill players and a rapidly aging defense and Ron's philosophies can't consistently win with that makeup. It's the fact that our players consistently accept responsibility for their own shortcomings on the field while Ron and his coaches constantly deflecting any and all responsibility for any loss. 

34 minutes ago, Camvp said:

Team is likely going to finish 8-8 or 9-7.  

Too many of you are prisoners of the moment.  Coaches don't get fired after going 11-5 one year and then putting up a .500 or better record the next.  It just doesn't happen outside of rare circumstances.  Fox out of Denver was the only one I can think of recently, and that had a whole host of extenuating circumstances tied up in that.

Much more likely that Hurney is let go, and a months long GM search is conducted with Ron left in place to steer the ship, and then if he doesn't perform up to expectations in 2019, the new GM can then easily let him go and find his own man.

I've been saying the same thing all season. Tepper coming from the Steelers which are infamous for not jumping from coach to coach speaks volumes. 

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's not just this year's record. It's the fact that he's never put together back to back winning seasons. It's the fact that our division has figured him out. Both the Saints and Falcons have owned us since 2015. If you can't compete in your division you're left with trying to fight for a wildcard spot every year and no home playoff games. It's the fact that Tepper made it known how important that Steelers game was to him and we go up there and suffer one of the most embarrassing blowout losses we've ever had. It's the fact that Ron's teams have always improved down the stretch in seasons and this year we're falling apart. It's the fact that we have a roster full of young offensive skill players and a rapidly aging defense and Ron's philosophies can't consistently win with that makeup. It's the fact that our players consistently accept responsibility for their own shortcomings on the field while Ron and his coaches constantly deflecting any and all responsibility for any loss. 

This post is as spot on as you cat get. 

I think Tepper is an unknown at this point. I understand that he was one of the minority owners who wanted Tomlin gone when the Steelers struggled. He might have his own guy already picked and is just waiting to see what happens. I don't know. He may not have made up his mind yet. We will know soon enough.

Archived