• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should keep Ron Rivera as HC

kungfoodude

Payton has lucked out recently with an incredible draft and having Brees as his QB and they still won’t win it all again. McCarthy is a better example and Payton will wind up just like him as will Rivera. None are great head coaches.

Rivera is no Payton and David Newton is a moron.

Cut your losses and move on and build the team you wanna build it.

At this point I don't really care what all he does or allows to happen as long as we start consistently winning and get a ring or two or three.

I personally don't have a huge problem if we keep Ron. B/c when things are good, things are good. Not every coach is perfect. Hurney needs to go and i'm pretty sure i reiterate this on every post. He's the scapegoat and you can't mold your business model with someone else's old poo. Let it start at the top of the organization and trickle down. If Ron has two years left on that extension and Tepper would have to pay that out and wants to save some money, give Ron another year. If we tank and start 0-5 next year, pull the trigger. However, bring in someone that can step in that wants to in case that happens. I agree he should have went for two against Detroit, he also had the balls to kick a 63 yard field goal when most would have hail married. But there have been certainly dumb decisions but everyone panics when under fire. He has his issues, but would you want to risk going through what the Niners are since Harbaugh left?

So, to be fair(and I really, really, really don't want to be), would a situation where we bring in a top shelf defensive coordinator next season alleviate some of the concerns? Let's say we keep Norv, who I think has been pretty good, but bring in a very good DC. Would that make people happy or are we just completely done with Rivera has a whole? Again, more of a devil's advocate argument, but he has been arguably our most successful head coach.

What say you?

39 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I personally don't have a huge problem if we keep Ron. B/c when things are good, things are good. Not every coach is perfect. Hurney needs to go and i'm pretty sure i reiterate this on every post. He's the scapegoat and you can't mold your business model with someone else's old poo. Let it start at the top of the organization and trickle down. If Ron has two years left on that extension and Tepper would have to pay that out and wants to save some money, give Ron another year. If we tank and start 0-5 next year, pull the trigger. However, bring in someone that can step in that wants to in case that happens. I agree he should have went for two against Detroit, he also had the balls to kick a 63 yard field goal when most would have hail married. But there have been certainly dumb decisions but everyone panics when under fire. He has his issues, but would you want to risk going through what the Niners are since Harbaugh left?

ill take 4 years of being dogshit for a top 5 NFL coach. Shanahan is going to be there for decades.

Tepper is going to be the most interesting wild card in the whole thing.  He will show his cards after the season, that's for sure!

The idea is interesting.  Rivera is a well respected coach in the NFL.  He's a good coach.  But the question becomes, is he good enough?  That we aren't really sure.  He's been so consistently inconsistent in Carolina.  Our teams haven't shown a killer instinct...ever?  One year, we are world beaters, the next, we are door mats.  Things finally started to move forward when we were 6-2, but then things have ground to a halt.

There are positives to keeping him, and HOPING that he gets us to the top of the mountain.  On the flip side, we can try a new coach and HOPE that they are an improvement.

Who knows?  Which gamble does Tepper take?  Odd year Rivera is pretty good Rivera...  There's that.

Just now, d-dave said:

Tepper is going to be the most interesting wild card in the whole thing.  He will show his cards after the season, that's for sure!

The idea is interesting.  Rivera is a well respected coach in the NFL.  He's a good coach.  But the question becomes, is he good enough?  That we aren't really sure.  He's been so consistently inconsistent in Carolina.  Our teams haven't shown a killer instinct...ever?  One year, we are world beaters, the next, we are door mats.  Things finally started to move forward when we were 6-2, but then things have ground to a halt.

There are positives to keeping him, and HOPING that he gets us to the top of the mountain.  On the flip side, we can try a new coach and HOPE that they are an improvement.

Who knows?  Which gamble does Tepper take?  Odd year Rivera is pretty good Rivera...  There's that.

I'll be honest, I can't think of a single positive to keeping him other than getting a top-three pick in the 2020 draft

Archived