• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Tackle

The Huddler

6 minutes ago, t96 said:

Disagree. They are comparable. Trust the scouts and pick BPA, don't pick a LT just because of the position.

Go through all the legit DEs in the league, then count the legit LTs. That should tell you all you need to know. I agree about the BPA, but all things being equal (or even close, because there is a certain amount of error), you go with the LT. At least that's how I see it.

7 hours ago, The Huddler said:

If we retain Williams, is there really any reason to draft an OT early?

I don't see the need. Moton performed admirably at LT and Williams is that bulldozer All pro at RT. 

To me DE is a much larger need. We have old, ineffective guys at that position and it requires more players to keep a solid rotation. We lack a pass rush and our defense will never be what we want it to be unless we boost that unit. I'd be ok if we double dipped at DE. 

We are a defensive team whether we like it or not with Rivera. If we play with that defensive ball control game-plan, our defense better be up to par.  If we aren't putting pressure on the QB on 3rd downs to get off the field the rest of our defense is toast. It all begins on the DL for us as a team. Without a good pass-rush, its like we are a big ass truck built with 4 wheel drive, but we have little rinky dink old ass worn out and cracked tires made for a Ford Focus that just spin in the mud and snow, ultimately making the truck useless. 

If we don't retain Williams, then I could understand OT more, but DE is still the glaring need in my opinion. Like in 2013, a damn good passrush can really mask secondary deficiencies. Predicting OT as our pick to me is just the lazy, easy plug in prediction. DE would have more impact. If our team wants to WIN NOW, we better bolster our pass rush or we will continue to be frustrated by our defensive performance just spinning its wheels when it could be capable of so much more. 

If you disagree please explain your reasoning. 

Yes there's every reason to draft a OT...

6 hours ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Keeping Darryl means that OT isn't a top need at all IMO.  Would much rather see us grab a guy in the 2nd or 3rd to develop, like we seem to have preferred anyway with our current OT situation.

DE, CB, S, C would all take precedence at that point, and I'd be eyeing the best defensive player available in the 1st, OL in the 2nd. 

OT/LT has and will continue to be a need...

7 hours ago, The Huddler said:

If we retain Williams, is there really any reason to draft an OT early?

I don't see the need. Moton performed admirably at LT and Williams is that bulldozer All pro at RT. 

To me DE is a much larger need. We have old, ineffective guys at that position and it requires more players to keep a solid rotation. We lack a pass rush and our defense will never be what we want it to be unless we boost that unit. I'd be ok if we double dipped at DE. 

We are a defensive team whether we like it or not with Rivera. If we play with that defensive ball control game-plan, our defense better be up to par.  If we aren't putting pressure on the QB on 3rd downs to get off the field the rest of our defense is toast. It all begins on the DL for us as a team. Without a good pass-rush, its like we are a big ass truck built with 4 wheel drive, but we have little rinky dink old ass worn out and cracked tires made for a Ford Focus that just spin in the mud and snow, ultimately making the truck useless. 

If we don't retain Williams, then I could understand OT more, but DE is still the glaring need in my opinion. Like in 2013, a damn good passrush can really mask secondary deficiencies. Predicting OT as our pick to me is just the lazy, easy plug in prediction. DE would have more impact. If our team wants to WIN NOW, we better bolster our pass rush or we will continue to be frustrated by our defensive performance just spinning its wheels when it could be capable of so much more. 

If you disagree please explain your reasoning. 

I agree with you, and think DE and interior Oline will be more important.  If we are unable to retain Williams though, and depending what pass rushers are still available at 16, if a top T is available we should without a doubt grab him.

44 minutes ago, heel31ok said:

Yes there's every reason to draft a OT...

if we have williams and moton , then why is there every reason to draft OT?

i swear some of you just blindly post your opinion and dont even give a second of thought to other peoples opinions

before you click on the thread you are already thinking of your reply

i bet you didn't even read the OP

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

If Moton was an admirable LT  (and I am not saying that I disagree with you--I would love to see him there  but find it strange that he did not play there THIS year), answer these 2 questions:

1.   Why could he not beat our Matt Kalil after not beating out Williams?

2. Why did they not move him from RT to the more important and critcal LT when Kalil was injured?  (They could have signed a street free agent to play RT, instead, they went after a free agent who could play LT.  If they had a LT on  the roster---in  their minds== they would have moved him there.) 

Rivera

Theres a lot of things that Rivera does that makes no sense until hes forced to do something else when his seat it hot. 

3 hours ago, The Huddler said:

Rivera

Theres a lot of things that Rivera does that makes no sense until hes forced to do something else when his seat it hot. 

That is what makes it hard to predict.  However, OL--Matsko.  He is very good.  Then you have the fact that Rivera's seat was hot for the last 6 weeks of the  season---we still kept  Moton on the right side when we knew Cam's throwing  arm  was injured.  Makes no sense if we think  he can  play LT.

9 hours ago, MHS831 said:

If Moton was an admirable LT  (and I am not saying that I disagree with you--I would love to see him there  but find it strange that he did not play there THIS year), answer these 2 questions:

1.   Why could he not beat our Matt Kalil after not beating out Williams?

2. Why did they not move him from RT to the more important and critcal LT when Kalil was injured?  (They could have signed a street free agent to play RT, instead, they went after a free agent who could play LT.  If they had a LT on  the roster---in  their minds== they would have moved him there.) 

Well we have to look at a few things.

Why did we play Amini. Ever.

Why did we sign and play Kalil, ever?

Bell or Chandler...ever?

Why was Moton not even allowed on the field until injury?

Why was Josh Norman once benched a season when we was fully healthy the goes on to be the highest paid CB by another team?

Why were Moore and Samuel playing behind Torrey Smith and Devin Funchess...for a long time.

Why is Gano better than Butker?

Why is Cam going out there when he can’t throw 10 yards?

Why wasn’t Ryan Kalil cut, and Larsen kept at C where he was playing just as well and use the money saved (and kept by never signing Matt Kalil) to bring back Norwell who went on to be the highest paid guard by another team.

Nakamura.

Why was CJ Anderson never utilized?

I could go on, I really could. This team has HUGE personnel and talent evaluation issues. Seems the FO wants this build through draft montra only to let guys like Norman and Norwell go to other teams and spend their money on Matt and Ryan Kalil.

Currently we have a couch potato at LT and the franchise QB just went into surgery for his throwing shoulder. AGAIN. Moton has experience and is getting better.

Why is Moton not being tried at LT is my question....and seems to be a better one than why would the team try him at LT considering these facts.

12 hours ago, The Huddler said:

yeah but if we retain Williams, he and moton are a solid combo

not so much at DE. If we retain williams OT is a luxury we cannot offord. 

Think about this

...the most important position on the team is what.  The QB.   the franchise and that QB is in bad physical shape from beatings past and mismanagement 

—. The second most  important position, and very hard to find, Left OT

—.  Add to it, Williams coming off knee surgery, and contract uncertainty, 

—. Plus a generally miserable depth and skill on this oline  and the answer to the problem is easier to come by

— there is no question that both lines need updating, but whether one believes  it or not, without Newton heathy, or even if a new QB Is drafted in 2020, that line  has to be fixed 

If this team needs to move up and get one in the draft, do it. It’s past time

look at the QBs in the playoffs, what mattered more, that the QB had time or that the QB didn’t have time.  No one touches Brady,  he stands there like a statue, and what is the result, five rings  with a chance for a sixth 

8 hours ago, top dawg said:

Go through all the legit DEs in the league, then count the legit LTs. That should tell you all you need to know. I agree about the BPA, but all things being equal (or even close, because there is a certain amount of error), you go with the LT. At least that's how I see it.

I don't have the time to go through it, but keep in mind that there are 2-3 times as many DEs playing significant snaps as LTs. And there are still very few total package top tier DEs.

I said this in another post. Moton to LT, sign Williams to RT and leave Kalil as the back up instead of having dead money. If Williams goes down, Moton slides over. I'm not excited about it but we can;t have every move be what we really want. I would possibly draft a LT in the early round if we don't sign Williams. If a great LT is drafted in the 1st round, they usually can start right of way, then Moton to RT and still leave Kalil as the back up. I can not stand the thought of paying all that dead money to cut him and still having to sign a back up. 

Archived