• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Free agent DEs??????

AU-panther

I am a bit shocked that we haven't signed a DE or OLB (if we are really going to 3-4) yet. 

Of all the positions that we all thought were needs DE was one positions I felt like we had to address in free agency.  I thought we might "make due" with what we had at positions such as center and tackle, even safety, but DE was the one spot where our coaches and front office would want some experienced help. 

Even if we spend our first on a DE they can often take a year to get up to speed.  Also I hate backing ourselves into a spot where we have to draft a certain position, especially at 16.  I hope we don't get and have to trade up, which I would hate to have to do.

Maybe the coaches are more comfortable with what we have on  the roster than the fanbase.  The free agency period is still really young but there hasn't been much chatter about a DE at all.

How nervous is everyone else about it?

Not nervous at all, draft class is deep at edge / defensive lineman. To me we are set to likely double dip at the pass rush position early, and I feel like we'll add a G/T as well inside the first three rounds. 

Current Picks (1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6)

In no particular order (excluding a Rd1 Pass rusher), if we come away with the following positions (pending any additional FA moves) - 2 DL, 1 OL, 1HB, 1CB, 1S, 1WR 

I would feel pretty good heading into 2019, we were solid on paper last year and before the injury to Cam we showed that, heading into 19' we've gotten younger at some key positions - OL (specifically C, and likely LT with Moton). Shaq taking over for Davis who I think can provide in his first full stint no over the shoulder looking a good compliment to Luke. We'll be younger and more athletic at Safety, and with some IR returns, or a draft pick the 3rd defensive back option has some flexibility as well with Cockrell and Jackson's ability to play inside or out given the match ups. 

I am in a good place as a fan with respect to where the team is right now. A good draft would really set us up moving forward the next 2-3 years given some of the current contracts. 

17 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

DE or Edge Rusher will be addressed in the draft, premier edge rushers cost a fortune

Can't really afford to worry about something as meaningless as cap space when the fate of the season is at stake.

That point of no return is coming up really soon. The panthers will have to sign somebody of consequence because they can't reasonably expect to compete for a super bowl if they're pinning the entirety of their pass rush on a rookie.

It's really a matter of what the team wants more. Winning a super bowl championship or appeasing a make believe number.  

Anytime you have to have someone you tend to reach. We will draft some DLine folks. Not sure if it will be a DE, OLB or DT. Depends on what scheme we are running most of the time particularly rushing the passer. It depends what the coaches think they already have and what they think they need. 

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

Not nervous at all, draft class is deep at edge / defensive lineman. To me we are set to likely double dip at the pass rush position early, and I feel like we'll add a G/T as well inside the first three rounds. 

Current Picks (1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6)

In no particular order (excluding a Rd1 Pass rusher), if we come away with the following positions (pending any additional FA moves) - 2 DL, 1 OL, 1HB, 1CB, 1S, 1WR 

I would feel pretty good heading into 2019, we were solid on paper last year and before the injury to Cam we showed that, heading into 19' we've gotten younger at some key positions - OL (specifically C, and likely LT with Moton). Shaq taking over for Davis who I think can provide in his first full stint no over the shoulder looking a good compliment to Luke. We'll be younger and more athletic at Safety, and with some IR returns, or a draft pick the 3rd defensive back option has some flexibility as well with Cockrell and Jackson's ability to play inside or out given the match ups. 

I am in a good place as a fan with respect to where the team is right now. A good draft would really set us up moving forward the next 2-3 years given some of the current contracts. 

This pretty much nailed my thoughts, although I think we'll draft another LB at some point, and maybe earlier on.

It depends on who is available at 16. My nightmare/luxury scenario is that we're having to choose between one of the top tier DEs, Ed Oliver, and Devin White at 16. My gut goes with White/Oliver/DE, whoever the DE is at the time because I think Oliver and White are the top two defensive studs in this draft. If we miss out on/pick someone other than White, I really like Khalil Hodge out of Buffalo a little later on.

I think we're not done in FA, tbqh. We need to bring in at least one more outsider at a need position, and still re-sign some more of our own. Once the dust settles there, we'll be able to more accurately gauge the draft.

6 hours ago, AU-panther said:

I am a bit shocked that we haven't signed a DE or OLB (if we are really going to 3-4) yet. 

Of all the positions that we all thought were needs DE was one positions I felt like we had to address in free agency.  I thought we might "make due" with what we had at positions such as center and tackle, even safety, but DE was the one spot where our coaches and front office would want some experienced help. 

Even if we spend our first on a DE they can often take a year to get up to speed.  Also I hate backing ourselves into a spot where we have to draft a certain position, especially at 16.  I hope we don't get and have to trade up, which I would hate to have to do.

Maybe the coaches are more comfortable with what we have on  the roster than the fanbase.  The free agency period is still really young but there hasn't been much chatter about a DE at all.

How nervous is everyone else about it?

Here are your current options. Before you go jumping all into Ansah and Houston, remember we have less than 5 million available. Happy shopping.

OLBs

Justin Houston

Clay Matthews

Jamie Collins

Nick Perry

Derrick Morgan

Vincent Rey

Shaquil Barrett

Sam Acho

Kevin Pierre-Louis

Shane Ray

Josh Martin

Pernell McPhee

Connor Barwin

Matt Longacre

Jeremiah Attaochu

Thurston Armbrister

Nathan Stupar

Kemal Ishmael

Ramon Humber

Mark Nzeocha

Najee Goode

Frank Zombo

Kasim Edebali

Emmanuel Lamur

Eli Harold

Cameron Lynch

Jacquies Smith

Deiontrez Mount

Terrance Smith

Shilique Calhoun

Kyle Emanuel

Jeremy Cash

Garrett Sickels

Keion Adams

Carlos Thompson

Deontae Skinner

DEs

Ezekiel Ansah

Andre Branch

Vinny Curry

Michael JohnsoN

William Hayes

Aaron Lynch

Mitch Unrein

Derrick Shelby

Dion Jordan

Bruce Irvin

Benson Mayowa

Wes Horton

Brandon Copeland

Frostee Rucker

John Jenkins

Kony Ealy

Jihad Ward

Zach MooreTBD

Geno Grissom

Don’t dismiss the significance of Ron Rivera taking over defensive playcalling duties this season. You can compensate somewhat for a lack of talent with superior scheming, so I think Rivera will get the absolute most out of our pass rush until we’re able to add some premium guys at that position.

4 hours ago, JARROD said:

Who knows what’s up. Everything was down and quiet then boom center, then boom Daryl then boom cut Kalil. 

No stress. Kalil was cut to save the $7 million for a purpose. That purpose will be revealed shortly. 

That $7M won't become available until after June 1st. I suspect we'll likely roll it over to largely negate the remainder of the dead cap space in his deal next year.

Archived