• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drafttek Mock Draft (April 17th)

kungfoodude

https://www.drafttek.com/2019-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

16. Clelin Ferrell

As we close in on the 2019 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers have done a good enough job in Free Agency to warrant them drafting the best player available with the 16th pick. Even still, this draft, in particular, seems too rich at the offensive and defensive lineman positions to pass one up. As I write this now, I am willing to safely say this pick will be either a Defensive End to bolster the Panthers' pass rush or an Offensive Tackle charged with protecting Cam Newton and his surgically-repaired throwing shoulder. 

With the board falling like it has, in this week's DraftTek DRAFTSIM, the Carolina Panthers take the highly-touted Clelin Ferrell, defensive end out of Clemson!

Clelin finished his career with the Clemson Tigers tallying 166 total tackles, 50.5 tackles for loss, and 27.0 sacks. As the reigning ACC Defensive Player of the Year, Ferrell recorded astounding numbers during his three-year career as a part of the most dominant defensive line in college football. As a two-time National Champion, Ferrell has been productive since the moment he exited his redshirt season.

Ferrell boasts incredibly long arms that allow him to use a full arsenal of pass-rush maneuvers. They allowed Clelin to keep blockers away from his body and use his hands as violent weapons when trying to disrupt opposing tackles and guards. Clelin has a nasty inside-spin move which he frequently used with effectiveness in 2018. 

On top of his on-field dominance, Ferrell also represents the type of high-character, locker-room-leader types that Carolina covets. Clelin Ferrell is a force on the edge and in life. He is quite simply the type of player that would be a fan favorite for years to come in the Carolinas! Check out the C3 Carolina Cat Chronicles podcast Tuesday nights at 9 PM to hear us discuss all the latest in Panther Nation!

- Cody Lachney, Panthers Analyst

47. Juan Thornhill

I imagine when the term "ball-hawk" was coined, it was specifically intended to be used on players like Juan Thornhill, safety out of Virginia! During Juan's career with the Virginia Cavaliers, Thornhill managed an incredible 26 pass deflections and 13 interceptions playing in the ACC. That level of ball production is absolutely elite. Thornhill has the athleticism and experience to play as a cornerback as well and has a fantastic understanding of coverages. I believe Juan has the most potential out of any safety in this draft class to be able to play a single-high free safety role in the NFL. His eye for the football is impeccable and he is always looking for interceptions. Juan has the mindset that if the ball is in the air, it's his. If Thornhill is available, the Carolina Panthers should pounce on him with the 47th pick!

77. Yodny Cajuste (OT, West Virginia)

100. Nate Davis (OG, Charlotte)

115. Corbin Kaufusi (DL5T, BYU)

154. Tyler Clark (DL1T, Georgia)

187. Ty Summers (ILB, TCU)

I gotta be honest, I could really dig on this draft. Ferrell should be an instant guy in the rotation if not an outright starter, Thornhill should be a starter day 1 and we could easily see a starter from Cajuste or Davis, or at the bare minimum significantly bolster OL depth. The two DT's and LB as depth/camp bodies/special teams. I would be really happy with the draft.

51 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

https://www.drafttek.com/2019-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

I gotta be honest, I could really dig on this draft. Ferrell should be an instant guy in the rotation if not an outright starter, Thornhill should be a starter day 1 and we could easily see a starter from Cajuste or Davis, or at the bare minimum significantly bolster OL depth. The two DT's and LB as depth/camp bodies/special teams. I would be really happy with the draft.

Hell yeah especially the top 4 picks. To be honest I don’t know much about the last 3 picks but if the front 4 are that solid I really don’t care ha

I like that it really addresses our defense.  With Rivera calling the shots, and a draft like that, our defense could be back Top 10 - Top 5 territory.  At that point, all we have to do is protect Cam and we are playoff bound.

Ferrell did not run the 40 at the combine or his pro day. To me, that screams red flag. It probably means that he was going to run in the 4.7 or 4.8 range. Personally, I would pass. However, I get the feeling that he will be there at 16 in part because he did not run the 40. I just hope someone more enticing is there.

18 minutes ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

Ferrell did not run the 40 at the combine or his pro day. To me, that screams red flag. It probably means that he was going to run in the 4.7 or 4.8 range. Personally, I would pass. However, I get the feeling that he will be there at 16 in part because he did not run the 40. I just hope someone more enticing is there.

He has a toe injury.. 

Archived