• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

S Jalen Thompson - Supplemental Draft

Anyone know much on the kid?  

Looks to have been a projected 2nd/3rd round in 2020 as a FS.  Entering Supplemental Draft that is around the corner after being denied eligibility for 2019.

6'0.  195 lbs. Looks like has had 40 yard times in the 4.35 to 4.43 range (I've seen multiple ones listed).  Reviews said better in man coverage, not the best tackler.  Used in slot coverage his year as a starter.

If, hypothetically, the Panthers were to target him in the supplemental draft, we'd be bidding using a future draft pick.  As in, using a 2020 3rd round pick, for example, to take him.

Some big boards for next year's draft are already out.  

He was rated at #114, #69, #175, #152, and #181.   No one has him worth a 2nd round pick.  

I don't know how the supplemental draft works, but I suppose he'd be worth a 6th or 7th next year to provide some depth this year.

I wonder what he did to be ruled ineligible? That could potentially have a huge impact on his value.

If we clear him off the field, I sure hope we put our scouts to work on this guy to come up with a value for him. I have serious questions about whether or not Gaulden is the solution and holy poo balls if either he or Reid missed time due to injury.

We are one vet safety away from having good depth on our entire defense (every team has one weak spot). I know we are all anxious......but........we will sign a vet before the season starts for competition/depth. We should all want Gaulden to succeed, and to have a vet for insurance. No need to trade away future draft picks on a gamble that is the supplemental draft.

53 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wonder what he did to be ruled ineligible? That could potentially have a huge impact on his value.

If we clear him off the field, I sure hope we put our scouts to work on this guy to come up with a value for him. I have serious questions about whether or not Gaulden is the solution and holy poo balls if either he or Reid missed time due to injury.

https://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-cougars-football/2019/6/29/20115852/jalen-thompson-nfl-supplemental-draft-wsu-cougars-ineligible

The Spokesman-Review’s Theo Lawson is reporting that it’s a PED violation stemming from the purchase of an over-the-counter supplement that was “not a steroid.” According to NCAA rules, a PED violation carries a mandatory one-year suspension. In theory, Thompson could have redshirted and come back in 2020 for a fifth year, but it makes little sense for him to do so.

1 hour ago, Captain Morgan said:

Some big boards for next year's draft are already out.  

He was rated at #114, #69, #175, #152, and #181.   No one has him worth a 2nd round pick.  

I don't know how the supplemental draft works, but I suppose he'd be worth a 6th or 7th next year to provide some depth this year.

On one site I saw him rated as a late 2nd/3rd round pick, but either way.  The way the Supplemental Draft works, as I understand it, is that, generally speaking, you make blind bids.  While there is still a "draft order", that is more of a tie breaker.  You bid with a future draft pick.  Example.  Lets say the Saints, Panthers, and Bucs all want this guy.  The draft order in this hypothetical is Bucs -> Panthers -> Saints.  Bucs "bid" a 2020 5th round pick.  Both Panthers and Saints bid a 4th round pick.  The bidding is blind, you don't know what others bid.  In this scenario the Panthers would win, due to bidding the highest (with the Saints) and then having the higher "draft order" being the tie breaker.

I'd say wing a fourth rounder at him. If it works, we get a potentially decent young safety. If it doesn't, we're no worse off than before.

And a fourth round pick isn't going to break our draft like throwing a second or third rounder might.

Archived