• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Training Camp Observations

XClown1986

Just got back from a few days in Spartanburg and I am now getting around to putting my thoughts into what I saw.

- Cam looks excellent. Great attitude. Great accuracy. Great zip on the ball. Etc. He is back.

- Will Grier had a rough start to camp. Many incompletions. Held ball too long. BUT... He was dropping bombs on Monday. He has the best deep ball accuracy I have seen. In a drill where the QBs were throwing 20 yard lobs to the corner of the endzone into a net, Grier tossed his with ease. Nothing but net. Once he gets the mental part of the game, he could be something. He got noticeably better every practice I was there.

- Terry Godwin is not getting enough attention. He caught everything thrown at him and looked to be the most natural when handling punts. I expect him to get a lot of preseason action.

- Jarius Wright is our most consistent receiver. Curtis Samuel is our biggest playmaker. DJ Moore has the most potential. Will be fun to see these guys settle into their roles.

- Brian Burns hits harder in practice than other players. Goes hard every snap and gives a pop to every ball carrier if he can.

- The runningback battle is closer than many think. CMC looks outstanding. I mean... All-pro good. Jordan Scarlett is EASILY the best 3rd down back behind him. He will make the roster for sure. And he will see regular season action. The real battle is going to be between CAP and Holyfield. We know what CAP is. He is a solid, but unspectacular back. Holyfield broke many tackles in redzone drills and also showed more burst on the outside than I expected. Preseason games will determine this.

- Jaydon Mickens is making plays on offense. He is really fighting to be the last receiver to make the roster. Two receivers to watch: Damion Jeanpierre - fantastic short area quickness and burst off of the line. Had to be held by Donte Jackson during 1 on 1s because he dusted him off of the line. Deandrew White - This kid was either a huge play or a concentration drop. If he can be more consistent, he has a shot at the PS.

- The coaches seem to really like CB Josh Thornton. He got a lot of snaps.

- Marquis Haynes is getting a lot of looks on 1st and 2nd team defense. Team really wants to know what they have in him.

- The pass rush looks sick. There will be no better practice for our offensive line than the depth and talent being thrown at them right now every day.

Those were the things that stood out to me. Feel free to ask me about other stuff and I'll do my best to answer.

17 hours ago, XClown1986 said:

Just got back from a few days in Spartanburg and I am now getting around to putting my thoughts into what I saw.

- Brian Burns hits harder in practice than other players. Goes hard every snap and gives a pop to every ball carrier if he can.

This kid is going to be a fugging steal

18 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm just not sure if the staff will be willing to go with CMC and two rookie RBs on the roster. I think we'll probably see Scarlett as the #2 and CAP will be an inactive on game day #3 again. Maybe Holyfield will be on the PS.

I dont see why not.. we went with a rookie rb right out the gate with cmcsa. These kids will be backups and very little of that if it looks like last year. Cmc played more snaps than anybody in the league so I wouldn't think having rookie backups would hurt.

Archived