• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No more excuses

raleigh-panther

4 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Last season collapse was Rivera's fault. Injuries are Rivera's fault?

Some of you are so ready to get rid of Rivera. Bringing in someone new doesn't automatically improve things.  If he fails next thing you know you are replacing new coaches every other year.  Then we are battling TB for the cellar. You lose that mentality that each year you can win it all.  

Rivera is not the greatest coach in the league but he is far from the worst.

Yeah, it could be a lot worse. Ron has his shortcomings but you have to be happy with the culture and locker room we have established in Charlotte. The guy has been around football for years and from what I can tell, the players love him.

Even down the stretch last season with losses piling up and Cam's shoulder handicapping our offense, the guys were still playing their hearts out. Even though we didn't win MNF against the Saints, it was a damn good effort, especially on the defensive end after struggling on that side of the ball all year. Same goes for week 17, despite it being pretty much a pre-season game. Players never gave up on the team and on Rivera. 

He's not a perfect coach by any means, but I think some here are taking what Ron brings to the table for granted. 

Ha ha wow this OP came out of no where. Dude the season is just about to start try to be more positive.

Looking at it that way, RR has been coach of the year and developed so many coaches under him he has his own coaching tree, if you will. And because of that, over the years he has been robbed of his staff and is continuing to rebuild. Last year there was a lot of personal that left, so this year we actually have a chance to build off that.

Im excited for this year. I think the team will be well coached.

I think it's time to see an improvement in the offense. Whatever it takes. No excuses. 

I think Rivera made a difficult but wise decision bringing in Norv, so he's acknowledged an issue exists. Investing in offensive talent the past couple of drafts and free agency was the next step. I think the final step is to be more aggressive during games. The talent is there. Just get the ball to your playmakers, and let them do the rest. DJ and Curtis need 10+ touches a game - each. If the o-line is crapping the bed, I expect to see changes and adjustments until it gets right. Can't wait until week 6 to finally get in a groove. 

The 2-ton gorilla in the room is Cam's shoulder.  Not the foot, which is something that will happen to some (maybe several) QB this year when his own center steps on him, but the more chronic issue.  I'm optimistic about that, but it is a potential downfall.  So when we say "no excuses," we already know what the big one could be.

That said, it is not only Rivera and potentially Hurney on the line.  As mentioned earlier, this is probably the decision year for the Panthers' core roster.  If things fall apart this year, it is probably time to turn the page to the next chapter.  It won't happen all at once, but it will likely be the logical outcome.

All that said, I am cautiously optimistic. The pieces are better than they were last year.  I kept wondering during the first half of last year how long the good fortune could last, although I never dreamed of a 1-7 finish (more like 4-4 or 3-5).  At least right now, I am not looking out the window trying to find the circling buzzards. 

9 hours ago, archer4364 said:

Yeah, it could be a lot worse. Ron has his shortcomings but you have to be happy with the culture and locker room we have established in Charlotte. The guy has been around football for years and from what I can tell, the players love him.

Even down the stretch last season with losses piling up and Cam's shoulder handicapping our offense, the guys were still playing their hearts out. Even though we didn't win MNF against the Saints, it was a damn good effort, especially on the defensive end after struggling on that side of the ball all year. Same goes for week 17, despite it being pretty much a pre-season game. Players never gave up on the team and on Rivera. 

He's not a perfect coach by any means, but I think some here are taking what Ron brings to the table for granted. 

Exactly! The team still plays hard for RR and that speaks volumes.

The grass is always greener.

3 Division titles (I know one of them is ugly.) and a Super Bowl appearance (coming off an incredibly fun and dominant 15-1 season). 2X Coach of the year.

I know we've been inconsistent, but it's not all coaching. That's an oversimplification.

And, if you get someone else, it will just be time to complain about new problems.

Having said all that, change is inevitable. His time may be up if the Panthers don't produce this year. Time will tell.

13 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

I don’t want to hear about the oline geling and needing 5000 snaps  give me a break 

he said that about a rookie, this year specifically a QB (he's said it in years past) not the oline...  we just inserting whatever we want wherever we want now? 

you dont like the guy, ok fine... but at least be accurate.

Archived