• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getting rid of Cam would be an astronomical mistake

KillaCamNewton

agreed 100%.

the contract thing isn't that big of a deal. if cam wants to play here he'll take a deal with low guaranteed money that leaves him with a reasonable annual salary in the 20s but is loaded with incentives, making him tradable/cuttable with low cap impact while rewarding him fairly if/when he comes back and performs at a high level.

1 hour ago, KillaCamNewton said:

...before letting him even attempt to get healthy

i understand a lot is gonna ride on whether or not Cam wants to play in a contract year after essentially missing a full season. this is a huge caveat. but here is the reality

-franchise QBs dont grow on trees. there have been 14 QBs drafted in the 1st round since Cam's MVP season. How many of them would you actually take and be confident we could win a Super Bowl with? maybe 5? Watson, Mahomes, Wentz, Jackson and Murray? that's about a 35% success rate. how many teams bank of drafting a QB in the first round to turn the franchise around only to have to draft another one in less than 5 years? 

-one of the biggest reasons we have never had back to back winning seasons is because we have only had one true franchise QB in 25 years

-teams that don't have one will hover around 8-10 wins every year with a good defense and strong running game to support them, but they never really have prolonged periods of dominance (basically the entire Delhomme era)

-we really have nothing to lose by playing him next year and seeing if he's still got it - $20 million for a QB is a steal and we don't have to make any commitments until we know exactly what we still have. there is zero risk and a huge potential reward if he plays like he did the first half of 2018

-Cam is 30 years old. he's a genetic freak. this isnt a Kobe Bryant situation where he's in his late 30s and has 20 years of wear and tear on his body that cant be overcome. there is no reason to think he cant still give you another 5 solid years of play after taking almost a year to recover

-the last time we banked on an undrafted young QB to take over the reigns after showing flashes the previous season it ended in a 2-14 season. Kyle Allen has performed admirably, but he also has a lot of limitations and expecting him to come in next year and perform after coaches have had an entire offseason to scout and study him is a huge gamble. 

i think we all need to take a deep breath and realize we have physical specimen at QB who was playing at an MVP level just a year ago and is finally getting a chance to fully get his body right. at this point we arent picking in the top 5 this year and getting someone like Tua and again there is no risk to throwing Cam out there next year under a relatively cheap deal. Either Cam returns to early 2018 form and we have enough talent around him to make a legitimate run at a Super Bowl or he blows it and we can move on and decide whether we want to roll with Allen or take a guy like Lawrence or Fields. putting Cam into a 1 year trial run next year is not setting the franchise back 5 years like getting rid of him probably would. the goal is to win Super Bowls, we arent winning one with Kyle Allen this year or next year, the only way we are is with a healthy Cam. why get rid of the only hope you have of it when you dont even know whether or not he can get healthy or have to make any long term decisions past next year? next year is a trial run either way you look at it. It's either Cam's last shot at being the Panthers QB or Kyle Allen's audition for being the long term answer going forward. I think I, and a calculated risk taker like Tepper would much rather see if the aggressive fund has one more rally in it versus the slow and steady account

lqKlotB.png

13 minutes ago, Nesbro1 said:

Jake was a franchise QB.

not even close. he was a solid game manager that would come up clutch when we needed him to but he wasnt someone that you could put the game on his shoulders and go out and give you 400 yards and 3 tds and take over a game. no one can take away what Jake used to do to close out games but what people forget is that his limitations and play throughout the first 55 minutes were a big reason a lot of those games were close to begin with

3 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

-Cam is 30 years old. he's a genetic freak. this isnt a Kobe Bryant situation where he's in his late 30s and has 20 years of wear and tear on his body that cant be overcome. there is no reason to think he cant still give you another 5 solid years of play after taking almost a year to recover

The genes in his shoulder and foot must suck.

This is like last year with the Hornets and Kemba Walker. You hate to seem Kemba go and know he was still a 20 point 7 Ast threat every night, but at the end of the day it's the results. Kemba, even balling out made the Hornets a 7th-8th seed team at best. Eventually both sides felt it was in their best interest to move on. Kemba's gone and look, the Hornets fight and compete every night and now are 4-3, over .500 when everyone though this was gonna be the worse team by far this year. Hell the Hornets have there own Kyle Allen in Devonte Graham, he's picking up were Kemba left off. 

I see this same scenario happening with the Panthers. Cam leaves the the Panthers will compete. They still have a good defense and still have a good running game, with for once a decent offensive line. I think Kyle Allen will be fine. It's just time I feel that the Panthers and Cam Newton part ways. Sad too both him a Kemba came in 2011 and both may leave in back to back years. 

4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

What if I told you that the Cam you idolize so much no longer exists?  I mean the 2015 MVP version you guys keep referring to as coming back to take us to the promiseland.  He is a former MVP 4 years removed and hasn't been healthy for 3 seasons now.  At some point you have to let him go and find a new hero to worship.  The team apparently has come to that conclusion and no I don't not have a source for that statement.

This is a horse poo take. Because how do you know he doesn't exist. Your basing your assumption off a period of time he has been clearly hampered by injury. From the Pittsburg game last season till now. We haven't seen him healthy since Pittsburg. Making a judgement based on what u have seen in the last year with the shoulder and now foot would be totally inaccurate. Until you see a non hampered newton play it's all just I think he won't do this.

Archived