• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We got what we wanted, but then...

Khyber53

It was time and it was obvious that it was going to happen.

But if you are thinking that the Panthers are going to take flight like a bird released from some sort of cage, you're going to be in for a sad, dispiriting and devastating ride.

This is rebuild mode and the team is going to change mightily before next season. A new coach, if given free reign, is going to put his stamp on as much of this team as possible. It won't be everyone, but you can imagine that at least one third of our current starters will be gone next year, possibly including some fan favorites. They'll be lost to contract negotiations, released for old injuries that you and I don't know about, and maybe a couple let go to change the locker room. 

Their replacements will be pretty much just substitutes -- placeholders until the roster can be churned and rebuilt.

Second stringers, and we all have our favorite guys from the bench we like to see in rotation or hope they get a shot, well, maybe a third of them will remain. All to the refrain of, it's just business and we're making something better.

Be prepared. Chances are no playoffs next year or the next as we retool. That defense that hadn't really transformed over to a 3-4 completely yet? If they go back to a 4-3 it's going to be even worse considering the personnel on hand, and probably only a bit better if they continue with the current direction.

I hope we get a good coach, an innovative one. Reality says, though, that it's a roll of the dice and the final iteration of the next Panthers incarnation will take a couple of seasons to come to maturity. So, buckle up oh Masters of the Moans, Wizards of the Whines, you've got a lot of angsty Sundays ahead of you.

God, everyone is so EMO today! Rivera wasn't ever going to get it done here. He'd gotten complacent and so had his players. Tepper was right to pull the trigger now so that everything is done in the open. The fact that Rivera may be a hot commodity for other teams speaks the the dearth of new and innovative coaching talent in the NFL more than it does to the Panthers not appreciating what they had. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I have no problem with what's ahead.

It was a better choice than just sticking with where we were.

I agree totally. We are already at the point of missing the playoffs multiple years in a row, the only difference is we don’t get a good draft pick because we always end up middle of the pack. Not bad enough to get a top pick, not good enough to compete in the division or make the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Better an uncertain future that may take a couple years to see success than traveling down this road/rut we've been stuck in.

I'm fine with the struggling. I'm not fine with a mediocre status quo.

Until struggling becomes the status quo again? Or are you going to roll with it? 

3 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I agree totally. We are already at the point of missing the playoffs multiple years in a row, the only difference is we don’t get a good draft pick because we always end up middle of the pack. Not bad enough to get a top pick, not good enough to compete in the division or make the playoffs. 

Yup, and RoncCo. would have kept us there.

As I have stated many times 7-9/9-7 is a bad place to be in the NFL.

We need an innovative offensive minded head coach and a QB with the talent and intellect to execute the offense at a high level. I hate to say it but I want what the Saints have had under their QB/HC combo. Ron would have kept building middle of the road teams for the most part imo. I want more. I'm willing to wait and lose for more.

Blah, blah, rebuild, blah. Y'all realize we've never had back-to-back winning seasons right? That's absolutely pathetic and going through some rebuilding and gradually improving is less frustrating than the up-down roller coaster of winning season, losing season, winning season, losing season...

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Many more than most people think. The 2018 and 2019 drafts were lauded so much that you’d think we’d have more than 2 guys from them actually started when those drafts began with 2 1sts, 2 2nds and 4 3rds. Maybe it’s just me but with 8 potential starters, having 2 so far makes me feel like you that we Huddleston overestimate the talent we have.

It's what a certain group on this forum do.

Maybe it's the ESPN'ing of the fans....draft grades an hour after, winning the offseason, loving every big named trade or signing....

Team and players name is called in the draft....fans run to YouTube type said players name and the word highlight behind it, and convince themselves that this player is going to be great.

Archived