• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

[Rapoport] Will Grier Expected To Start Sunday

bobsfoodbasics

1 minute ago, Jmac said:

Doesn't matter what he does these last two games. Need to sign a vet, regardless if Cam comes back or not. His health isn't a guarantee and Allen has proved his potential as MAYBE a backup....at best.

A vet would have sucked just as much. We need to sign someone to play LT. 

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Hey man at the end of the 2017 season, the 49ers won 5 straight games after Jimmy G became the starter. Yea he got hurt last year but look at them now. If Grier comes in a lights it up, wins two games in convincing fashion, I'm stoked for next year.

I wouldn’t get too excited. Allen started off good his first few games and look how that turned out... but I get it. Seeing him look good would shine some hope into our upcoming season.

Just now, Call Me James said:

History suggests you're almost better off finding your franchise QB later on. 

Are you saying you took a look at the numbers and statistically QBs taken later are overall more successful? Even if that were true I want our GM to have his pick of the litter.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

while some of that is true, this will give him some live game time experience with a good chunk of the skill players he would be playing with, were he to ever need to be our QB.  Grier is a professional now and doesn't need protecting because over 2 games he's going to break. and on top of that, Allen is just not getting it done.

Might as well see what Grier has.  We may find out nothing new.  Or we may find out something.  No way to know until we try.

42 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Are you saying you took a look at the numbers and statistically QBs taken later are overall more successful? Even if that were true I want our GM to have his pick of the litter.

Cherck out this thread

There hasn't been a franchise QB drafted in the top 5 of the draft in a decade

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

I mean to be honest with you guys I have a feeling it's going to be really really bad. Allen could at least move the offense. He just made crippling mistakes like every third drive. Get ready for a bunch of 3 and outs after Grier starts skying balls over the heads of wide open receivers. 

Who cares? Losing out is best for the draft.

On the bright side, even in preseason on this level, Grier showed plenty of zip and an effortless ability to throw it 40+ yards, so he throws a much better ball, especially deep.  Problem is, he also showed in preseason that he has no idea where or when to throw it lol.

Archived