• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rappaport: Marty Hurney heavily involved in HC search!!!

4 hours ago, ncguy2184 said:

I don’t get why all this hate on Hurney the man is pretty good just look at some of the great players he has brought us drafted and free agent pickups and trades. 

Will Witherspoon , Dan Morgan, Chris gamble. Ken Lucas, Steve Smith, Jon beason, Stephen Davis, Jordan gross , Greg Olsen , jake delhome, Luke kuechly, Julius peppers, deangelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart , Chris Harris , travelle warton, and so on and so on..........

plus he hired John Fox, and Ron Rivera and both coaches took us to a super bowl each, YES we lost both but damn  I know a lot of teams wish they had that kind of success. 

so I don’t blame Tepper wanting to keep hurney on board. I think most of y’all are newer fans of the panthers so y’all all don’t know or appreciate hurney. 

I promise if hurney stays and we “reload” or “rebuild” we will be just fine. 

sorry about my typing it’s 4:35 am and I can’t keep my eyes open hardly. 

If winning were in the NFL were as simple as getting a few great players on your roster, then I'm sure we would be fine.

Unfortunately, a GM puts together the entire roster, not just the best players on it.

Rosters built by Marty Hurney have produced three winning seasons over a fourteen year career. Ditto the coaches he hired when they've worked together.

That's nowhere near good enough. Heck, that barely even qualifies as mediocre.

2 minutes ago, NAS said:

Tepper is really losing his credibility letting this guy stick around, unless it's in a significantly reduced capacity.

There's really no reason to have Hurney here at all.   I will never understand the fascination with him.  He sucks at building a roster period.

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

There's really no reason to have Hurney here at all.   I will never understand the fascination with him.  He sucks at building a roster period.

Leaving out 2017 because that roster was basically put together when Hurney was re-hired, I think Hurney has had 13ish seasons where he's unambiguously assembled the roster.  Meaning he ran the draft, FA, etc.

1 NFC title, 0 back to back winning seasons, 0 back to back division titles, 0 playoff wins since 2005.

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I forget who, but someone said Marty is a really good salesman, especially skilled at selling himself.

Apparently, Tepper just isn't smart enough to see through it.

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Basically, the guy who brought us John Fox and Ron Rivera has a say in who our next head coach is. And whatever coach gets picked is supposed to have a say in who gets the new front office position.

Ugh :poison:

We were hoping for the next Art Rooney but instead we might have gotten the next Jim Haslam

My optimism for our future just took a serious nosedive.

Lol, I mean both those coaches took us to a Super Bowl and were quickly rehired by other teams.  That already makes it better than 90% of hires every year.

But yeah Hurney sux!!!!!

8 minutes ago, Mage said:

Lol, I mean both those coaches took us to a Super Bowl and were quickly rehired by other teams.  That already makes it better than 90% of hires every year.

But yeah Hurney sux!!!!!

Tepper/Hurney:  "So, you think you can lose a Super Bowl once every decade?"

Coaching candidate: "Uh, um, yeah I guess?"

Tepper/Hurney: "You're hired"

Ron Rivera wore out his welcome here, and deserved to be fired, but he was a 2 time coach of the year

To cite him as a blunder in hiring a coach is a bit of a stretch.

If you want to just say he rode the coat tails of a talented roster, well then you have to give Hurney his due for constructing that roster.  Can't have it both ways with that.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

The bright side of this, if there is one, is that it won't take long for Hurney to have this team picking the first pick in the draft.  Maybe he will get lucky again and pick another star qb.

yea, too bad the world will be dead by then...

Archived