• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coughlin Advising Rhule on Panthers Staff

Ship

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Marty's personality and Tom Coughlin's personality? No way I can see that relationship working out.

Might be worth mentioning that Marc Ross and Jerry Reese are both available for work. The NFL has expressed an interest in having Reese work in a front office again.

The ultimate odd couple!  When you surround yourself with "yes" men, it's difficult for organizations to get honest, sometimes brutally honest, but invaluable input  Since we know Marty is sharing the GM structure in some way, the last thing we need is Marty and, in essence, a Marty Jr.  What's the purpose in having a division of power then?

22 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Depends on whether you mean his first trip to Jacksonville or his second.

In his original stint, he built the team from the ground up and did a pretty good job. Can't really argue with his success in New York either. 

Being brought into an existing power structure when he returned to Jacksonville didn't work out so well though. So yeah, you also have to acknowledge that  he can be a very difficult person to work with.

If you put him in a consultant role where he advises but doesn't have any power, then your hope is that you get the benefit of his wisdom without the problem of his ego

This last stint. Didn’t he commit fraud basically and tell players not to go to hospitals or whatever?

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Not arguing one way or the other, but I've never been a fan of using pro-bowl selections as a gauge for success as a talent evaluator or procurer. Pro-bowl is largely a popularity contest that weighs heavily towards large market and whatever teams are hyped by the media that year. That's never really been jaxville.

I probably should have pointed out that Coughlin was in charge of both the draft and free agency. He had full power.

And you know my favorite stat...wins.

Both the Panthers and the Jaguars made it to the Conference Championship games in 96, but after that they went in very different directions. We spiraled down while the Jaguars never won less than 11 games until 2000.

1 minute ago, The Lobo said:

This last stint. Didn’t he commit fraud basically and tell players not to go to hospitals or whatever?

Something like that. Hence, why you wouldn't put him in a position to handle anything of that sort.

Fancy title, limited power...

55 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

As long as he doesn’t become part of the staff, it’s a good move. 

Could just be in an advisory capacity like when Jerry West was with the Warriors. Rumor has it when we had a young, injury prone Steph Curry and a 25ppg Monta Ellis both playing Point Guard, it was Jerry West that advised against trading Curry because the organization wanted to keep Monta. The rest is history. 

If Coughlin can help the Panthers achieve half of what the Warriors did in a similar advisory capacity, I’m all for it. 

11 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Not arguing one way or the other, but I've never been a fan of using pro-bowl selections as a gauge for success as a talent evaluator or procurer. Pro-bowl is largely a popularity contest that weighs heavily towards large market and whatever teams are hyped by the media that year. That's never really been jaxville

Ok.  So use all-pro.  Unless you mean both all pro AND pro bowl are effected by it.  I feel all pro tends to get it pretty accurate.  pro bowl is a joke.

By all accounts Coughlin is still a great football mind but horrible at working with people as seen by the Jalen Ramsey thing with him. So this is a solid move having him as an advisor. Won’t be able to rub anyone the wrong way here.

Archived