• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC's Potential New Contract - Discussion

Ship

Per Walterfootball's Senior Bowl Rumors Post:

In the realm of stating the obvious, the Panthers will pick up the fifth-year option on star running back Christian McCaffrey when that time comes, but this offseason, they could do a lot more than that to add to his tenure in Carolina. From speaking with some league people at the East-West Shrine practices last week, it sounds like McCaffrey could get signed to a lucrative long-term second contract this offseason. Most teams wait until a player is in the final year of his contract before doing that kind of extension, but McCaffrey has been so good, it makes more sense for Carolina to do it early.

Automatically, the Panthers are going to make McCaffrey the highest paid running back in the NFL and he is going to reset the running back market. McCaffrey has earned that after becoming only the third running back in NFL history to surpass 1,000 yards rushing and receiving in the same season.

Staff around the league say from the top down the Carolina organization loves McCaffrey and has "less than zero" concern about paying him a huge contract. The Panthers know the driven McCaffrey will continue to be the same player after getting a huge contract as he loves football and is ultra competitive to be the best he can be. McCaffrey is also a team leader and ideal player to be the face of the franchise in Carolina's rebuild under new head coach Matt Rhule. Extending McCaffrey for many years to come sounds likely to happen in 2020.

I don't think many people could argue against giving CMC a big contract here based on his play and I personally think for all the reasons mentioned in the rumor that CMC deserves a huge deal and to stay a Panther for a long time. But, for the sake of discussion, we also know RB is a wear and tear position with high injury risk and many people think the position value is low and resources should be used in other spots. I think CMC's training/rejuvenation schedule and our new sports science stuff will give him the best chance at a long career at his production level. He had an injury in college, but otherwise hasn't shown any issues with his massive workload. He's still young too. Also, he's a 1000 yard receiver, in addition to a runner, which counts for quite an additional value to his position.

Add in the fact if we sign CMC this year, how it may affect keeping Bradberry or adding another good defensive player at a high value position. What does this say about our medium term priorities-- we've signed Shaq to a big deal now and it looks like CMC is right behind him. Currently our organization has targeted these two guys as the top young players/leaders on the team. These positions are old school values. What does that mean for team composition as we roll into the Rhule era? How long will the rebuild take and how many prime years will CMC have when we're ready to compete for the Super Bowl again?

Doing it now makes the most sense for everyone.  You sign him to a deal that keeps him here until he's 29, basically a six year deal.

At that point you would the re-evaluate.  The tail end of his career may be way different than most RB's.  It's entirely possible that he transitions from a full time RB to a full time slot receiver to extend his career.  He's such a wildcard you just don't know.  I won't argue that RB's fall of around 30, it's what happens.  However, CMC may change the conversation due to his immaculate route running.

I think if it was just about ANY other RB besides CMC, I would be very wary of handing out a giant contract. CMC has proven to be a future Hall of Fame talent, though.  These types of guys are not replaceable, regardless of what position they play.  I would be very happy to see him a Panther for the rest of his career.

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

Doing it now makes the most sense for everyone.  You sign him to a deal that keeps him here until he's 29, basically a six year deal.

At that point you would the re-evaluate.  The tail end of his career may be way different than most RB's.  It's entirely possible that he transitions from a full time RB to a full time slot receiver to extend his career.  He's such a wildcard you just don't know.  I won't argue that RB's fall of around 30, it's what happens.  However, CMC may change the conversation due to his immaculate route running.

It doesn't make sense at all bro.  He is already under contract.  Making him the highest paid rb in a rebuild is just crazy.  When a rb drops off he drops fast and the amount of touches he has gotten is insane.  Look at Chris Johnson career as a comparison.

But I repeat he is already under contract. It may be unfair to him but this is how the CBa is structured.  It's to the teams advantage. 

Honestly he’s the exact type of RB that you do extend. While his agility and speed is a part of his game for sure, what sets him apart is vision and knowledge of the game, and especially as a receiver, elite route running and hands. And his run style isn’t one that takes a huge beating compared to some other RB who fade pretty quickly in their career. Even with workloads like this season (much of it was as a receivable so not as much of a beating) there’s no reason to think he can’t play at an elite level through his next contract. Hesitate on the second big contract but not this one. This one is a no brainer

As long as Hurney is involved, ill be at least a little concerned. I don't mind CMC getting his. I guess we would do this now because after next year he may want to win? My real concern with CMC is we will run him into the ground when it doesn't matter and isn't worth it. But there are new coaches ans hopefully they have brains and the ability to process strategy.

This would make the Cam situation more aqward if CMC ends up with a bigger contract...

Archived