• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PSL Owners Losing Seats for Luxury Suites

GRWatcher

I think Tepper's goal of a new stadium within 10 years was a bit ambitious and frankly, I don't see it happening that soon now.  Why?  Firstly, BOA just went through a tax-payer funded 4-year phased renovation.  Secondly, Tepper is now adding luxury boxes to field level.  Third, the stadium has to undergo more renovation to accommodate the new MLS team which starts playing next year.  Also, with all the development has has popped up around BOA over the past decade, it would greatly affect the continued development of the area which I think the city of Charlotte would frown upon.  Lastly, I personally don't think the city is still quite ready for a Super Bowl.  It still has to see more growth.  So just building a domed stadium isn't the final piece to landing a Super Bowl.

This all said, a domed stadium is undoubted still in Tepper's plans, I think he just jumped the gun in laying out a "inside of 10 years" timeline.

Watching this unfold and the way the Panthers rolled it out, i think the poo will explode when they get a new stadium and all the old PSLs become obsolete with a probable slight reduction for new PSLs cost. The new OLED TV is starting to look like a must have.

25 minutes ago, saX man said:

The reddit link.  The guy said he was being sent to the endzone low-upper deck. 

Well unless the Panthers organization is flat out lying or there are no open PSLs in the entire lower bowl, the dude is confused.

Edit: Read some threads and the dude claims he was offered section 228 row 17. If there are no seats when I get the call I will be livid.

3 minutes ago, App Panther said:

Im sorry, but PSLs were a scam to begin with. Like owning a timeshare. Very toxic deal for 'owner'.

It depends.  PSLs are a one-time, up front fee.  There are no other costs, so not like a timeshare.  You are a season ticket holder for the life of the stadium.  While some will lose a chunk of money, I chose the cheap seats.  People pay more for a high-def TV today than I paid for my two seat licenses 16-years ago.  Will I get my return back?   Probably not, but it's not unlike that expensive TV fizzling out after several years....you never get that money back either.

Spoke to a friend this morning who lost their seats. They were moved two sections over in the lower level. No additional charge but they are now in the corner end zone as opposed to near the goal posts. 

Biggest bummer for them is that they lose out on sitting with the same people that they sat with for 25 years. 

one other note, the ticket executive said adding these bunkers and other upgrades will likely  extend the useful purpose of this stadium by 10-15 years. Now whether that pertains to the panthers or the soccer team is anyone’s guess. 

13 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

Spoke to a friend this morning who lost their seats. They were moved two sections over in the lower level. No additional charge but they are now in the corner end zone as opposed to near the goal posts. 

Biggest bummer for them is that they lose out on sitting with the same people that they sat with for 25 years. 

one other note, the ticket executive said adding these bunkers and other upgrades will likely  extend the useful purpose of this stadium by 10-15 years. Now whether that pertains to the panthers or the soccer team is anyone’s guess. 

I can't see all this renovation just for the MLS team.  The stadium is more than adequate in that regard.   This is about retro-fitting an older stadium to meet today's needs short of building a new one.  I have no doubt that is still part of Tepper's plans, but he had a very aggressive agenda and the stadium piece being the trickiest to achieve.  A bubble over the practice field, easy.  New practice facilities and office complex, no problem.  Getting a MLS team.  Steep goal, but yeah, he got it.  Trying to convince a city and tax payers that a perfectly good, renovated 25-year old stadium is obsolete; that a new multi-billion dollar one is now necessary?  A steeper challenge than just stating future goals for the organization.

I believe a man who paid 2 billion in cash for a nfl team.  Paid cash for a soccer team, paid a college coach 65 million who has never coached one game as an nfl head coach, needs to do right by these people and offer them a buyout.  X dollars a year fir each year the seats were held

he won’t feel it and the optic is a helluva lot better than this

2 hours ago, App Panther said:

Im sorry, but PSLs were a scam to begin with. Like owning a timeshare. Very toxic deal for 'owner'.

PSL's are a better way to finance a stadium than scamming taxpayers for the money. Are there downsides? Sure. Is it better than killing any raise for teachers for the next 50 years, forcing your kids 3rd grade heartthrob just out of undergrad to work the pole on the weekends so she can pay her rent? Or leaving no money in the building fund so the schoolhouse their both in doesn't fall down around their ears? Or god forbid in this state we ever spend any real money on roads or infrastructure, just as long as a highly profitable private business gets lots and lots of tax money to build stadiums and then get absolutely all the advantages from said stadium including naming rights.

Yeah PSL's aren't perfect, but until someone comes up with a better idea than forking over tax money, I'll take em.

Archived