• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Lions GM Willing to Trade Out of #3 Overall Pick

Mr Mojo Risin

7 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Why would a team give up that much for a 1 year deal with Cam coming off two major injuries?

It would depend on him passing physicals and they can tag him if he has a good year with the possibility of extending him. A year off is going to help his shoulder, the foot injury will just be up to whatever team’s medical staff to gamble on. You have a former league MVP on the market at age 30. If he had no injuries he would warrant several 1st rounders minimum. So taking a chance with a 2nd and 3rd seems more than reasonable. I’m just not so sure our 1st plus a 2nd and 3rd moves us up to get Tua. If it becomes a bidding war, the Dolphins have more capital, plus we have too many needs to give up too much.

I'm absolutely, 100% against moving up.  I understand why the Lions are for it.  They have a franchise QB, but  a few other teams don't.  Everybody with an inkling of sense knows the Dolphins are eyeing Tua.  So what better way to solicit more picks than dangling the carrot out there, "If you really want Tua, you had better pony up and we will listen."

If this actually happens, it will cause a run on QBs and the Panthers would do themselves an injustice not to entertain moving back.  Herbert will get snatched up and Love will also go inside the top 10 whereas one or both would have made it to teams in the teens without a trade.

In a rebuild you accumulate picks, not mortgage future ones...especially for a guy that has pins in both ankles and a reconstructed hip.   If Tua was that fragile in college, there's no way he'll last in the NFL.  Behind our OL, he probably would not make though the first season!

For those who want Tua, I would suggest reading this article.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102745/article/2020-nfl-scouting-combine-biggest-questions-for-top-five-qbs

It's not just the hip Tagovailoa dislocated Nov. 16 at Mississippi State, ending his junior season. Tagovailoa also has had "tightrope" surgery on both his ankles -- the left in December 2018 and the right last October. He also had surgery for a broken index finger on his left (throwing) hand last March and played through a knee injury last October.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Hurney trading up scares me.

Me too.  It seems that this year, he may do something crazy in round 1--probably by spending the Cam trade booty and the second for Tua-and we will be in the third round wondering about the defensive line.  I cannot recall a draft where we took a QB in round 1 with no second rounder and nothing at DT--and scrounged to meet needs at DT in the third---Image result for SIONE FUA

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

If we get a 2nd and 3rd for Cam and use that to trade up and get Tua, it might make sense. Basically using our 1st and Cam to get the QB of our future while shedding 19 million off our cap.

I don’t get trading up for Tua and his risks. Start Grier, make these picks to build up talent and shoot for the top pick next year. Heck, with the number of comp picks we could get next year, take 2021 picks for Cam if they are higher. Get us in do good that even if we don’t get the top pick we can easily move up from 2 or 3.

1 hour ago, BerryLoMein said:

Tua will never survive the incoming 20 game season.

Start Grier and get one of the top guys next year. Tua isn’t worth the risk of a trade up. If somehow he drops to 7, I’d consider it but I still want Lawrence way more. 

My problems with the idea of trading up, especially for a QB are:

• We need help almost everywhere.  Our lines were ineffective, on both sides of the ball.  At best, the rest of our defense is okay, and I think that is stretching it.  We are deep nowhere.  There is not one position I would be willing to say "we're set."  The closest is at RB, where we have CMC and a bunch of people that would have probably paid to touch the ball last season.  One big pick is not going to help much. 
  • We are not chasing a playoff run in 2020, as much as people would like to think otherwise.  We need to approach building our roster strategically, not thinking we are only two or three players away.  One big pick is not going to help that much, either.
  • This draft has a lot of solid first round picks, especially for a team with enough needs that pure BPA probably works out well.  There is depth beyond the first round (although that is depending on who is making our pick after the first round).
  • If we spend a #3 pick on a QB, the expectation is going to be that he starts in the short term.  Giving our weak OL the short shrift this offseason will just get a new QB pounded back there.  Sound familiar?  It would be repeating the past mistake.
  • Outside of Burrow, there is not a QB I would risk a #3 or better pick on.  Tua may prove out and have a long, productive career in the NFL.  But, right now his durability at the NFL level is a risk.  If bullet #1 was not true, he might be worth the risk with the idea he could sit for a year while we figure out the Cam equation.  But, bullet #1 is true.  For Tua, so is bullet #4, which increases the risk to him.

If I were in the trading mood, it would be down if I could stay in the top 12 or so and get more picks.  Again, depending on who is making those subsequent picks.

Archived