• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could signing Okung mean that both Daley and Moton are sliding inside?

Snake

Right now - have Greg Little compete with Chris Reed, Dennis Daley, Tyler Larsen at LG (Steve Smith said last week Little was a better OG prospect than LT)   

Don't be surprised if we now re-sign Daryl Williams and put him at RG permanently.  We could also go after a guy like Kelechi Osemele on a 1-year deal.

5 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Right now - have Greg Little compete with Chris Reed, Dennis Daley, Tyler Larsen at LG (Steve Smith said last week Little was a better OG prospect than LT)   

Don't be surprised if we now re-sign Daryl Williams and put him at RG permanently.  We could also go after a guy like Kelechi Osemele on a 1-year deal.

Too early to decide if Little is a guard or tackle. He played 4 games all year. But you are right in thinking he won't be starting at LT this year unless injuries hit again. I think Williams is gone and likely replaced by another free agent who will be picked up this spring. I doubt we draft any offensive positions high. 

6 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Moton is better suited as a OG.  When he was coming out, some projected him as a guard.  Moton is a road grater whose attributes are best suited inside.

I agree with this. But Okung is at the end of his career. He’s been injured a lot and I doubt he plays much past 33. This was a strange trade to me but Steve Smith did say that the Panthers OL is a big problem for Rhule bc his system is based on quick twitch OL. We basically had a bunch of road graters at every position...so maybe RO is the first step to solidify and show younger guys coming up how to play in this system. 

20 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

I agree with this. But Okung is at the end of his career. He’s been injured a lot and I doubt he plays much past 33. This was a strange trade to me but Steve Smith did say that the Panthers OL is a big problem for Rhule bc his system is based on quick twitch OL. We basically had a bunch of road graters at every position...so maybe RO is the first step to solidify and show younger guys coming up how to play in this system. 

My first thoughts on the trade were that maybe Turner isnt exactly built for the style were gonna try to run under brady.  Remember, Norwell was an all pro, left the system, and then jaguar fans wanted him cut because he didnt exactly fit what they were trying to do.

9 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Moton is better suited as a OG.  When he was coming out, some projected him as a guard.  Moton is a road grater whose attributes are best suited inside.

I don't understand the logic.

Who would play RT in this scenario?

Moton and Daley are the only players on our team with RT experience. Little only ever played on the left side and he's coming off severe injuries and looked downright bad when he was actually on the field. Daley too. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I don't understand the logic.

Who would play RT in this scenario?

Moton and Daley are the only players on our team with RT experience. Little only ever played on the left side and he's coming off severe injuries and looked downright bad when he was actually on the field. Daley too. 

We would draft a future LT to play RT year one. Then move him over after this year. 

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

We would draft a future LT to play RT year one. Then move him over after this year. 

Why do that when we already have a perfectly capable RT in Moton available right now?

It just seems counterproductive and adding an extra step/variable into the O-line equation. 

Moton is a known commodity at RT, and he's good at it. Why make RT weaker just to make RG just as strong as it was last year if it's easier to replace RG than RT?

Add into that, playing LT and RT are like shooting free throws or wiping your ass with the opposite hand. Sure you can kind of do it, but if you haven't been practicing then you'll be at a distinct disadvantage and look worse than you might actually be due to inexperience. 

It just doesn't make sense to me. 

Archived