• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

19 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

yeah more than likely but now is the time to flatten this thing as much as possible so we can build up our resources and give our scientists time to figure this thing out but we have dumbasses in this country. 

Ohh, I agree heartily with what we've been doing. More than anything, our self quarantining has kept every hospital in America outside of New York City capable of handling the cases on hand. Had we all just kept partying on the death toll would have been astronomical. The move saved us, even if it did hurt economically -- and we have to realize that not everything in the world is less important than economics.

And honestly, I think we should continue social distancing and self quarantining for a while longer just to allow us to rest and refit our healthcare sector. It will also give us more time to develop treatments and best practices for combating the illness.

In the end, though, this pandemic wasn't just COVID-19's big debut, it was the coming out party for coronaviruses the world over. It (all the other COVIDs and SARS) are here to stay, mutating a bit each year and rolling through the populace, just like Influenza and Rhinoviruses (the sicknesses we refer to as the common cold).

52 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

The move saved us, even if it did hurt economically -- and we have to realize that not everything in the world is less important than economics.

My opinion is that people use the term "economy" because it dehumanizes it.  This isn't just "an economy" in some nebulous universe.  These are real people going thru hardships and real pain, some of which will be life altering.  Some people will never recover from this, they got hit that bad.  Many dreams and ability to provide for other members of their family...crushed.

The response needs to be proportional to what's going on.  I'm okay with what has happened so far, and I'm okay with some of the plans to phase back into life.  But, the plans I agree with happen soon.  Anyone who is okay with continuing this for an extended period of time is speaking an entirely different language than me.  If you want to stay inside, that's your right.  But having the force of government to demand others join you, needs to come to an end. 

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, Wes21 said:

My opinion is that people use the term "economy" because it dehumanizes it.  This isn't just "an economy" in some nebulous universe.  These are real people going thru hardships and real pain, some of which will be life altering.  Some people will never recover from this, they got hit that bad.  Many dreams and ability to provide for other members of their family...crushed.

Agreed. Those who say “it’s just economics” or “it’s just money” are most likely not feeling any pain themselves.

I’ll be ok. I have unemployment, a side business, significant savings, and the ability to make ends meet other ways. At least for a while.

A ton of people are not in that position. They will lose their homes, cars, not be able to go to college, etc. Many will burn through all of their savings and retirement which will have a life long impact on their quality of life.

Those who can afford to stay at home for long periods of time without a care need to check their privilege before looking down on others.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

10 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No desire. My two least favorite school subjects were foreign language and math. Programming is like a combination of both. I'd be miserable.

Much thanks on helping hand, but it would just be an awful fit.

You sound like me when it comes to sales.  I have to do a little bit of it as part of my job, and I don't like it.  I'm more of an operations side guy.  Its kind of ironic because I'm so much like my dad other than that...and my dad did sales his entire life and its what he loved.  He never even dreamed of doing anything else, and it didn't even matter to him what product he was selling.  Fast forward to a character assessment test I took for a large company I was trying to get a Project Manager job with.  It took a few hours to complete, and it was actually very good in the feedback it gave on my personality and tendencies.  But funny enough, it said that I'd be best suited in sales. LOL

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Agreed. Those who say “it’s just economics” or “it’s just money” are most likely not feeling any pain themselves.

I’ll be ok. I have unemployment, a side business, significant savings, and the ability to make ends meet other ways. At least for a while.

A ton of people are not in that position. They will lose their homes, cars, not be able to go to college, etc. Many will burn through all of their savings and retirement which will have a life long impact on their quality of life.

Those who can afford to stay at home for long periods of time without a care need to check their privilege before looking down on others.

Some people will have to change their lives after this, and I can appreciate that.  In what I do, there are only so many people in an area that do it...and only so many positions available.  If I were to lose my job, I would either have to change what I do or pack up and move to another city/state.  That's the reality for some people, uprooting their entire family and pulling their kids away from "home" with their school and friends.  But yeah, its "just the economy" I guess.

Edited by Wes21
  • Pie 2
  • Poo 1

11 hours ago, Inimicus said:

So let me preface this with a giant NO PROMISES

If you know C# and SQL/have a bit of exp(a couple of years)/and are currently on the skids. DM me your resume/cv.

Im probably going to be looking for a programmer in the next 3-4 weeks.

Ten years experience, but my job is stable right now. Hope you find someone you can help.

1 hour ago, jfra78 said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1204081

Protesters in Raleigh enter a Subway armed to the teeth.  Forget Coronavirus, arent there laws against that?

Those were attention-seeking, lawsuit baiting dweebs who would have been shot on sight/site had they been black, walked into a place of business armed and wearing masks.

And in the one photo, Muscle-dude, what the hell are you compensating for with two wheelguns and a used AT-4 tube slung over your shoulder? Let's not even get into the guy who was carrying an M2HB rigged for anti-aircraft roles slung onto his shoulder. What quasi-militia poo stone did these threats to the Second Amendment crawl out from under? They weren't exercising their rights near so much as threatening the rights of responsible gun owners.

Turd heads.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 2

The US ranks 39th among nations in tests per capita for Covid-19.

The US has 4.2% of the world's population, but
  -- has done only 1.9% of the world's Covid-19 tests
  -- has 32.3% of the Covid-19 cases
  -- has 28.4% of the Covid-19 deaths

94% of all countries have fewer Covid-19 deaths per capita than the United States.

American carnage.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Inimicus said:

whats really funny is that M2 is wood

Some mentally challenged 12-year old in Cleveland points a toy gun (orange barrel-end and all) at a cop and gets shot for it. These turds carry a fake .50 cal machine gun and an inert AT-4, and they dare anyone to bat an eye or a cop to arrest them.

Now that's a white privilege if there ever was one.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2
  • Poo 2