• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

Hospitalization in SC - 1423 today. Everyday day continues a new high mark in hospitalizations.  Deaths will follow suit (22 today)

1423 is COVID hospitalizations in SC.  

Total beds occupied (for any illness) in SC is still hovering at 75%

*NC follows setting another hospitalization  record  at 1034. 

Going to be REALLY hard for schools to open back up here as both states continue climbing to their peaks of the pandemic.  School returning  will have its own giant bump it would bring. 

• Pie 1

remember the vast majority of the patients diagnosed with covid19 don't get a hospital bed right away

it's taking around 5-7 days for most people that end up needing a bed getting one for covid19. they're getting sent home and being told to hang tough, then......

basically what im saying is SC is turbo fuged

2 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

remember the vast majority of the patients diagnosed with covid19 don't get a hospital bed right away

it's taking around 5-7 days for most people that end up needing a bed getting one for covid19. they're getting sent home and being told to hang tough, then......

basically what im saying is SC is turbo fuged

Yeah, I don’t really care about newly reported cases.  Lot of that is asymptotic healthy people that are tested because they can or had an exposure, barely sick people, people retesting, etc.  

hospitalizations is the number and it ain’t good. SC is worse than NC but don’t sleep on NC.  They are trending the same. 

I'm really confused why all these sites have different numbers. 

https://covid19-projections.com/us-sc lists 884 deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/south-carolina/ lists 905

Should at least something as straightforward as deaths be the same? 

https://covid19-projections.com/us-sc says over 9k newly infected 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/south-carolina/ shows only 1500 new cases.

I'm very confused.

4 minutes ago, trueblade said:

I'm really confused why all these sites have different numbers. 

https://covid19-projections.com/us-sc lists 884 deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/south-carolina/ lists 905

Should at least something as straightforward as deaths be the same? 

https://covid19-projections.com/us-sc says over 9k newly infected 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/south-carolina/ shows only 1500 new cases.

I'm very confused.

Easy question.  

These are not official sites. They gather statistic from offical sources, collected by code or people manually adding it.

If you want accurate numbers always go to the offical sites. 

These sites should only be used to get a overview, a general picture of the situation in countries and states.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, CRA said:

Yeah, I don’t really care about newly reported cases.  Lot of that is asymptotic healthy people that are tested because they can or had an exposure, barely sick people, people retesting, etc.  

hospitalizations is the number and it ain’t good. SC is worse than NC but don’t sleep on NC.  They are trending the same. 

A little over 1000 hospitalizations in a population of 10.5 million when this thing has been here since March does not say "hotspot" to me. 

• Beer 1

33 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

A little over 1000 hospitalizations in a population of 10.5 million when this thing has been here since March does not say "hotspot" to me. 

1. a vast minority of patients with covid require hospitalization. far more will, in the coming days, but for now we're still actually in the early days of this spike

2. doctors are encouraging patients NOT to be admitted, knowing they need the ICU space. South Carolina right now is at about 76% occupancy, and that is about to spike. 

3. Infections race ahead of positive cases race ahead of hospitalizations. The data coming out of south carolina right now is....horrific. 

26 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

2. doctors are encouraging patients NOT to be admitted, knowing they need the ICU space. South Carolina right now is at about 76% occupancy, and that is about to spike.

Have there been an increase in ICU units? Can they increase it?

In Sweden we had about 526 ICU before the pandemic. During the pandemic it was increased to 1000-1100. Lowest number of free capacity was around 18% (from my memory). ICU in Sweden = always ventilators + personnel to man the unit. Otherwise the patient falls under "hospitalization".

1 hour ago, Wolfcop said:

You're right. NC isn't a hotspot right now. And our goal is not to become one. The cases steadily rising though requires us to keep our guard up. Don't forget that we've only been in phase 2 for a month and a half and it can take a couple weeks from exposure to hospitalization. We certainly could be worse, but we also shouldn't be high fiving and patting ourselves on the back for setting records for number of hospitalizations without a clear end in sight.

Recently saw a video of Ron de Santis from a few weeks ago boasting defiantly how Florida had been open for weeks and were not seeing many cases. How everyone said their hospitals would get overwhelmed but they were wrong. Looks incredibly foolish now. The problem is if we ignore the trends and loosen all restrictions, the virus can and likely will spread exponentially and we'll join the ranks of Florida, Texas, and Arizona. I don't think we will because to this point, Roy Cooper has been following medical advice and holding off on opening the major niduses for spread like bars. But he's getting heavily opposed from the NC legislature and at some point the pressure may become too much. Guess we'll see. 

32 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

You're right. NC isn't a hotspot right now. And our goal is not to become one. The cases steadily rising though requires us to keep our guard up. Don't forget that we've only been in phase 2 for a month and a half and it can take a couple weeks from exposure to hospitalization. We certainly could be worse, but we also shouldn't be high fiving and patting ourselves on the back for setting records for number of hospitalizations without a clear end in sight.

Recently saw a video of Ron de Santis from a few weeks ago boasting defiantly how Florida had been open for weeks and were not seeing many cases. How everyone said their hospitals would get overwhelmed but they were wrong. Looks incredibly foolish now. The problem is if we ignore the trends and loosen all restrictions, the virus can and likely will spread exponentially and we'll join the ranks of Florida, Texas, and Arizona. I don't think we will because to this point, Roy Cooper has been following medical advice and holding off on opening the major niduses for spread like bars. But he's getting heavily opposed from the NC legislature and at some point the pressure may become too much. Guess we'll see. 

DeSantis was being attacked saying his state was going to be New York.  It's not New York, and they have a long ways to go to get there.  If Florida becomes New York, he was wrong.  If it doesn't, while we have our opinions, he was not really wrong.