• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

14 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It is unbelievable the real behavioral changes that poo causes in people. I had a roommate on a contract job once that was an older guy from southern Georgia, fairly reasonable but conservative. Generally a pretty decent dude. 

But he would come home from work and while I would be prepping food, he'd turn on Fox News and would literally be screaming at the top of his lungs at the poo they were stirring up. It was NUTS. 

And you see the results of this kind of poo all the time. I have a friend's wife that I berated once because she just started spewing unfiltered MSNBC talking points that were VERIFIABLY untrue. 

People cannot pull their heads out of their asses and realize that this is what they want. They want divisiveness, fear and anger. Because for some reason people will watch more and then they get more ratings which gets them more money. And social media is even fuging worse.

I tell people all the time. Turn that poo off. Just don't pay attention. It is amazing how much better you feel when you leave social media and TV behind.

Americans in general are lazy and want their information spoon fed to them instead of taking some time out of their day to go find information.  It doesn't even have to be every day or for some considerable amount of time.  However, when it comes to important issues, people regurgitate headlines and sound bites from TV news (usually on in the background) not knowing or bothering to find out if the information they are processing is factual or not.  I read articles and sometimes even watch stuff on TV I normally don't agree with so I can cross-reference it for context. I feel really sorry for folks that use social media for their main source of 'enlightenment' about the world.  If it's on TV, in a newspaper or even on the internet, it's got to be true, right?  I knew we were in trouble years ago when I had room mates that were getting their daily news form the 'Daily Show' on Comedy central.  Yes, they thought it was real news just delivered through lens of humor.  Sadly, these were graduate students.

For the medical guys here.

Are our hospitals transferring COVID patients to other hospitals to ease crowding?  Seems like the Germans did a fantastic job in caring for people as they sort of moved them to and from capacity locations.  Staff stayed fresh and patients got great care.

3 hours ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

Holy crap, Arizona reported 117 deaths yesterday which is a record for the state by like 30

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/arizona/

If that's not an upward adjustment based on new data or something like that then that's not good at all

Yesterday was a big jump for the entire country and it makes you wonder since the 2 previous days were reporting a Saturday which was holiday and a Sunday.  Generally, Tuesdays have been big days anyway, but yesterday was a whopper.  Today will be a good barometer

20 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I knew we were in trouble years ago when I had room mates that were getting their daily news form the 'Daily Show' on Comedy central.  Yes, they thought it was real news just delivered through lens of humor.  Sadly, these were graduate students.

We have some of those people on this board.  But the Daily Show definitely hit a hot button in its delivery.  If you deliver something in a comedic form, to some people its so much more powerful and believable.  Its like "yeah, its so obvious that X is Y and Y is Z, that its laughable to think otherwise."

Edited by Wes21
  • Pie 1

29 minutes ago, stirs said:

Yesterday was a big jump for the entire country and it makes you wonder since the 2 previous days were reporting a Saturday which was holiday and a Sunday.  Generally, Tuesdays have been big days anyway, but yesterday was a whopper.  Today will be a good barometer

Yep, Tuesdays usually are the largest numbers of the week due to processing weekend data.  Still looking at ratios for the number of cases compared to deaths and hospitalizations.  Obviously it will be somewhat higher, but again, how much so in relation to the increased spike in case numbers?

4 hours ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

Holy crap, Arizona reported 117 deaths yesterday which is a record for the state by like 30

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/arizona/

If that's not an upward adjustment based on new data or something like that then that's not good at all

10 minutes ago, stirs said:

Supposedly, FL, TX and AZ are getting better, we'll see.  They've been a mess for the last month, so hope so

America, however, is an utter disaster. Texas, Florida, and Arizona are the newest hubs of contagion, having apparently learned nothing from the other countries and states that previously experienced surges in cases. I stared at my phone in disbelief when the musician Rosanne Cash wrote on Twitter that her daughter had been called a “liberal pussy!” in Nashville for wearing a mask to buy groceries.

That insult succinctly conveys the crux of the problem. American leadership has politicized the pandemic instead of trying to fight it. I see no preparedness, no coordinated top-down leadership of the sort we’ve enjoyed in Europe. I see only empty posturing, the sad spectacle of the president refusing to wear a mask, just to own the libs. What an astonishing self-inflicted wound.

On June 26, a day when the U.S. notched some 45,000 new cases—how’s that for “American carnage”?—the European Union announced that it would loosen some travel restrictions but extend its ban on visitors from the United States and other hot-spot nations. On Tuesday, it confirmed that remarkable and deeply humiliating decision, a clear message that in pandemic management, the EU believes that the United States is no better than Russia and Brazil—autocrat-run public-health disasters—and that American tourists would pose a dire threat to the hard-won stability our lockdown has earned us. So much for the myth that the American political system and way of life are a model for the world.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/america-land-pathetic/613747/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share&fbclid=IwAR2PNdIbwOqaaCyne_TxgI8Ypl99nio9171NvBv_u5b9Jzh1k8w_lGUt0D0

When the French are laughing at you.

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

There is something called social fixer that allows the user to filter out certain things on facebook.  I use it and filter everything with the words Trump/Biden/Flags/Clinton and several other words.  Even so, some things slip thru.  But it does help.  

Wow, that sounds great. I've said for years I wish I could filter out all that poo on FB. 

12 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

Looks like we need to start calling them Freedom Fries again