• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2003 Panthers vs 2015 Panthers

OneBadCat

Thought this might be a fun offseason thread. Two of the best teams in our history face off in a fantasy match. Who do you guys think takes this?

My breakdown:

1. The 2003 squad is a more well rounded team. Better safeties, WRs and defensive ends. I’d say Stephen Davis is a push with Stewart but a fresh Deshaun Foster with Nick Goings was a better stable. 

2. Offensive line goes to the 03 Panthers. Cam masked a lot of the flaws in our o line by the automatic third and short runs and his running threat in general.

3. The linebacker group is a push overall with a slight edge to 2015. But although Dan Morgan was like Keuchly it doesn’t compare in his ability to diagnose plays. I think Luke would figure Delhomme out in this game and make some huge plays.

4. Cornerbacks. I think Norman is obviously the best of the two squads. Paired with Tillman I think they have an edge with pre injury Bene Benwickere.

However in this match up I think Steve Smith would smoke Josh Norman. Muhammad vs Tillman would be a good match up. Likewise I think Ricky Manning would best Corey Brown. Terry Cousin and Reggie Howard weren’t world beaters. 

5. Rivera vs Fox 

When Fox first started here he did a hell of a job getting our guys to play disciplined. But he also became a candyass and a chicken of a coach at times. They are similar but I take Ron for the riverboat gambles that would keep his offense on the field.

6. The two big X factors for me would be Cam and Greg Olsen. Fox defenses always got destroyed by tight ends. If Cam can make a few deflating conversions on the 03 defense I think he has a shot at gassing them and finding Olsen and dare I say Ted Ginn for big scores. 

I’d go final. Cam game winner to Olsen. Rivera won’t play for field goals because Fox had prime John Kasay at the time. Luke picks off Delhomme on a last minute comeback drive after a scary completion to Smitty. 

2015 Panthers:27 

2003 Panthers 23

What say you?

The nostalgia runs deep but 2015 was a better team. Ranked higher in offense, defense in yards and scoring and was way better at not turning over the ball and way better at forcing turnovers. Sack wise 2003 gave up 7 less sacks but 2015 had 4 more sacks.

Here’s a pretty simple view. The 2003 team had a points differential of +21 and the 2015 team had a points differential of +192. There’s a reason why one team was 17-1 pre SB loss and the other was 14-5.

20 minutes ago, MMA said:

Two of the best teams? They are the two best teams in this franchise’s history. 2003 > 2015. Peppers, Kris Jenkins, Buck and Rucker were nasty. A young 89 and Moose. 

I’d argue 2013 was a better team than 2015. 2015 was a magical run but a ton of close, lucky wins. 2013 defense is one of the best team defenses in NFL history. 

8 minutes ago, saX man said:

I want a 2001 v 2011 thread. jk hehe

I assume you mean 2010 and not 2011, but the 2001 team would be looking good on the way to victory before inventing a way to lose at the last minute.

15 minutes ago, t96 said:

I’d argue 2013 was a better team than 2015. 2015 was a magical run but a ton of close, lucky wins. 2013 defense is one of the best team defenses in NFL history. 

2013 defense is the best of all time. Overall, 2003 team was better. 2015 offense was better than 2013. 

Archived