• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Derrick Brown is not a sexy pick."

4 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

Here's what's going to happen.

Brown is going to get just a few sacks a season. But by eating up blockers our rush linemen and backers are going to get more sacks than if he wasn't on the field. Value doesn't always show up on your own stat sheet, sometimes it shows up on the stat sheets of your team mates because of what you do that just simply isn't measured.

Completely agree.

Any player who must receive extra attention on a regular basis, is *incredibly* valuable regardless of "numbers".

Brown seems to be just that type of player.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

At least one more.

They need starters and depth almost everywhere.  Brown fills a huge hole in the dline but he's only one player.  The defense won't be fixed completely in this draft so you just go BPA wherever it falls.  This team needs talent everywhere and Brown is a great addition.  

Simmons is a freakish athlete and tremendous tackler, but how can you maximize his gifts when he doesn't really have a clear position to play. He's a tweener so I'm ok with passing on him.

I don't trust KK. There is footage of him taking plays off and just killing time, and that was before his torn rotator cuff.

Since we have already committed to Brown I think Rhule might draft a pass rushing DT to pair with him in the 2nd round.

As long as he isn't allowing a clean pocket for QBs to step up in to, Burns will EAT. If he's taking constant double teams, KK will EAT. If he's holding the LOS and not allowing Guards/Centers to run freely to our LBs, Shaq will EAT. 

His job is not necessarily to EAT, but to make sure everyone else is set up at the table - the life of a team player at DT. 

Last season our DTs were trying to EAT first. Unfortunately that left everyone else without a plate. 

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

They need starters and depth almost everywhere.  Brown fills a huge hole in the dline but he's only one player.  The defense won't be fixed completely in this draft so you just go BPA wherever it falls.  This team needs talent everywhere and Brown is a great addition.  

Agreed. There is no reason to draft as need based. We aren't going to be good(probably for a few seasons) so you just accumulate the best talent available 

12 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Simmons is a freakish athlete and tremendous tackler, but how can you maximize his gifts when he doesn't really have a clear position to play. He's a tweener so I'm ok with passing on him.

I don't trust KK. There is footage of him taking plays off and just killing time, and that was before his torn rotator cuff.

Since we have already committed to Brown I think Rhule might draft a pass rushing DT to pair with him in the 2nd round.

He can be an impact player if you have a creative enough defensive staff. I question if we have that. Simmons can be a wrecking ball but you will likely have to have a good defense already. We do not.

Yeah we're stuck clearing out our dead cap space so we can't do much in FA, and we have too many holes to fill with one draft. We're probably going to get slaughtered this season. We just need to hit on as many picks as possible and not reach for a need.

Sexiest pick ever.  Needs to work on pass rushing moves but its fuging hilarious you people saying he is basically star.  Tell our new offensive coordinator that, the one who triple teamed brown the whole game when they played auburn.  Our whole defense just got better.  

15 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Put Simmons at SS and give him a learning year. The dude looks great and now it's up to Ariblownit to maximize his potential. 

I have no problem with Brown but I would love one great safety and I think Simmons can be just that. Talk about a SS that can cover any TE. Not a lock for sure but damn that should be fun for them. 

I agree about KK. I think it's his last year and I wouldn't be against just cutting him and getting over the dead money. He should never have been given that extension. We really need another DT, maybe 2 sadly. 

48 minutes ago, Mvp2014 said:

Sexiest pick ever.  Needs to work on pass rushing moves but its fuging hilarious you people saying he is basically star.  Tell our new offensive coordinator that, the one who triple teamed brown the whole game when they played auburn.  Our whole defense just got better.  

Its exactly star. Star level strength but I would argue star was a bit faster. Star ate double teams which is basically what we got Brown to do. He is not some pass rusher.

Archived